Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Mix Tapes Round 3
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which word best describes me?
Chips 6 15.38%
Bin 1 2.56%
Kitchen 4 10.26%
Space 3 7.69%
Cruise 2 5.13%
Roads 4 10.26%
Beep 11 28.21%
Fireplace 7 17.95%
Create 3 7.69%
Sunday 6 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09.28.2006, 05:45 PM   #81
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, side A of my tape is a horrifically long ambience piece I had lying around. I have trouble filling my tapes because they're really long.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2006, 05:46 PM   #82
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest
It's a super LP, isn't it? There's a Nine horses track on the tape. The obvious one really - Darkest Birds - because it's a great song. I put a 38 minute ambient piece on it too. Side two only has three tracks.

Well, the only songs I've heard from it are the ones on your tape! But I'm totally going out and buying it/ordering it.
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2006, 05:46 PM   #83
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Himself
I want your tape.

Join the club.
Old 09.28.2006, 05:47 PM   #84
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Whatever, hot shot.
Old 09.28.2006, 05:48 PM   #85
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

To be honest, everyone seems to be pretty good at this. I don't care whose tape I get, they are all lovely sounding.
Old 09.28.2006, 05:49 PM   #86
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Пятхъдесят Шест
Well, the only songs I've heard from it are the ones on your tape! But I'm totally going out and buying it/ordering it.

What other track is on there? Banality of Evil? They are maybe the two most accessible songs on the LP. It's a lovely piece of work though.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2006, 05:49 PM   #87
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Finding Nobody did a really good job at it last time. He even PSYCHICALLY included a song off of my favorite LP.
Old 09.28.2006, 05:50 PM   #88
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Yes, Darkest Birds, and Banality of Evil.

I know you were going for an English feel for the tape, but fall has just arrived in Nebraska and it now has a soundtrack.
Old 09.28.2006, 05:51 PM   #89
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

What exactly falls in Nebraska?

Old 09.28.2006, 05:52 PM   #90
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
That's nice. I love it when summer ends properly - it's still warm here, bizarrely. I wanted to include Happy Mondays or Black Grape, but I didn't have the space.

Old 09.28.2006, 05:55 PM   #91
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

I really felt the Global Warming this year. I suppose Al Gore was right- which means that ManBearPig exists..

Old 09.28.2006, 05:57 PM   #92
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

What falls here?
Me, after a few shots of vodka. The leaves, opposing teams quarterbacks in Memorial Stadium:

Old 09.28.2006, 06:06 PM   #93
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Nebraska kinda looks like south east Wyoming. Which makes a lot of sense.
Old 09.28.2006, 06:09 PM   #94
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Gosh:

Nebraska Facts and Trivia

1. Nebraska was once called "The Great American Desert".

2. In 1927, Edwin E. Perkins of Hastings invented the powered soft drink Kool-Aid.

3. J. Sterling Morton founded Arbor Day in Nebraska City in 1872.

4. The state nickname used to be the "Tree Planter's State", but was changed in 1945 to the "Cornhusker State".

5. State insect is the honeybee.

6. State motto: Equality before the law.

7. The goldenrod was declared the state flower on April 4, 1895.

8. The Naval Ammunition Depot located in Hastings was the largest U.S. ammunition plant providing 40% of WWII's ammunition.

9. The Lied Jungle located in Omaha is the world's largest indoor rain forest.

10. Nebraska is the birthplace of the Reuben sandwich.

11. Spam (canned meat) is produced in Fremont.

12. Nebraska has the U.S.'s largest aquifer (underground lake/water supply), the Ogalala aquifer.

13. Nebraska has more miles of river than any other state.

14. The Union Pacific's Bailey Yards, in North Platte, is the largest rail classification complex in the world.

15. Nebraska is the only state in the union with a unicameral (one house) legislature.

16. Nebraska was the first state to complete its segment of the nations mainline interstate system, a 455 mile stretch of four lane highway.

17. Nebraska is both the nation's largest producer and user of center pivot irrigation.

18. Nebraska's Chimney rock was the most often mentioned landmark in journal entries by travelers on the Oregon Trail.

19. The 911 system of emergency communications, now used nationwide, was developed and first used in Lincoln, Nebraska.

20. Nebraska has more underground water reserves than any other state in the continental U.S.

21. Marlon Brando's mother gave Henry Fonda acting lessons at the Omaha Community Playhouse.

22. Lincoln County is the origin of the world's largest "Wolly Mammoth" elephant fossil.

23. Weeping Water is the nations largest limestone deposit and producer.

24. Mutual of Omaha Corporate headquarters is a public building built with 7 floors underground.

25. The Nebraska Cornhuskers have been to a record 27 consecutive bowl games and 27 consecutive winning seasons
(warning: I have it on the highest authority that this is now NOT TRUE)

26. The University of Nebraska Cornhusker football team has produced more Academic All-Americans than any other Division I school.

27. In Blue Hill, Nebraska, no female wearing a 'hat that would scare a timid person' can be seen eating onions in public.

28. The world's first college course about radio personality Rush Limbaugh is taught at Bellevue University in Nebraska.

29. Origin of Nebraska's Name: From an Oto Indian word meaning flat water

30. Nebraska's Motto: Equality Before the Law

31. Nebraska's State Gem is the Blue Agate

32. The largest porch swing in the world is located in Hebron, Nebraska and it can sit 25 adults.

33. The world's largest hand-planted forest is Halsey National Forrest near Thedford, Nebraska

34. The world's only museum dedicated to Fur Trading is located at Fort Atkinson near Blair.

35. The famous architect, Edward Durrell Stone, designed the Stuhr Museum near Grand Island, Nebraska.

36. The University of Nebraska-Lincoln weight room is the largest in the country. It covers three-fourths of an acre

37. Chevyland USA near Elm Creek, Nebraska is the only museum dedicated to a single line of cars.

38. The largest Kolache Festival in the world is located in Prague, Nebraska

39. Cozad, Nebraska is located on the 100th Meridian where the humid east meets the arid west.

40. In Nebraska in 1986 for the first time ever two women ran against each other for governorship of a state.

41. The cost of the Nebraska Capitol building was $ 9,800,440.07 in 1932. The construction job came in under budget and the building was paid for by the time it was completed.

42. Union Pacific Railroad's museum is headquartered in Nebraska.

43. Buffalo Bill Cody held his first rodeo in North Platte, Nebraska July 4, 1882.

44. In 1950, Omaha became the home of the College World Series.

45. There are five army forts open to the public in Nebraska: Atkinson, Kearny, Hartsuff, Sidney, and Robinson.

46. Sidney, Nebraska was the starting point of the Black Hills Gold Rush.

47. Antelope and Buffalo are counties in Nebraska named after animals.

48. Dr. Harold Edgerton of Aurora, Nebraska is the inventor of the strobe light.

49. Kearney, Nebraska is located exactly between Boston and San Francisco.

50. Father Edward Flanagan founded Boys Town in Omaha, Nebraska in 1917.

Old 09.28.2006, 06:14 PM   #95
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

State flower is the Goldenrod?
Old 09.28.2006, 06:22 PM   #96
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

25. The Nebraska Cornhuskers have been to a record 27 consecutive bowl games and 27 consecutive winning seasons

Sadly, this is no longer true.
Old 09.28.2006, 06:29 PM   #97
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

It's been edited. Thank you.

Old 09.28.2006, 06:31 PM   #98
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

AHa. Much better.

Well, its still sad.
Old 09.28.2006, 06:42 PM   #99
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Пятхъдесят Шест
To be honest, everyone seems to be pretty good at this. I don't care whose tape I get, they are all lovely sounding.

whoever gets mine will repent for joining this thing and probably demand some sort of monetary compensation.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2006, 07:16 PM   #100
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

So the following is a review of one of the two mix tapes I’ve received thus far. One from Glice and the other from Hip Priest. I’ve been so lazy as to delay both of them for far longer than I should have. I really owe it to you guys.

I should note that both of them are quite magnificent in their own ways. Glice’s features songs in many different languages, and Hip Priests is completely English, linguistically and musically. It would not be fair to pick my favorite of the two (in case anyone was curious), but one thing is for sure, my bank account is about to take a hit as I dearly want to buy some of these artists material . Its as though I’ve been living under a rock, such amazing things I’ve never heard, or never given enough attention to. Anyway…

Lets start if off with Glices. Hip Priests will show up at a later time.

Cave drawing artwork from outer space; ideas are abandoned and then anew is started all over the extra long, folded sheet of paper that was included with the tape. The front features what I assume is the title, circled many times: “Economy”, he said. “Bollocks!”, I repeated… The Back side of the sheet features puzzling, amusing, and cryptic prose inked by Glice himself(?). The bottom has a message from the man himself: “A standard wave, a paltry ‘hello’ from the instigator of your mixtape. I trust you enjoy.”

Tracklisting:

“Economy”, he said. “Bollocks!”, I repeated…

(Prima)
The Fall - Big New Priest
Esma Redzepova - Chaje Shukaije
Datblygu - Dymuiada Da
Wyclef Jean - Perfect Gentleman
Father/Son duo w/ Erhu - Streets of Lhasa
Avril Lavinge - Forgotten
Willie Nelson - Can I Sleep in Your Arms?
Itchy Tasty - Loss of the Stoat Part 1
Roland Kirk - Volunteered Slavery
I’m Being Good - What Is Phonewolf?
Sizzla - Dis Gangstar

(Coda)
Huun Huur Tu - Khoomei
Diamanda Galas - Abel et Cain
Suhendi Afryanto - Mbuh
Ground Zero - Die Kapple von Kersplatz
Laura Cantrell - Bees
Atari Teenage Riot - Fuck All!!!
Moscow Balalaika Quartet - [I don’t understand Russian text, call it what you like]
Ah, but I do!
The Rebel - Piers, Peers, Piers
The Fall - 4 ½ Inch
Widget Evil - Terrorists Drink Lemonade

---------------------------------------------------------------------
The Fall - Big New Priest: Long pause broken by a brief introduction to some self help tape? And then the band that I most definitely need to hear more of. In a hurry. This one got me to sing a long. Great opener, as it chugs along to an infectious drum beat. Outstanding.

Esma Redzepova - Chaje Shukaije: Play that gypsy music, white boy. This is the sort of thing I would listen to with or without having heard it on this mix tape. Vocals that make her sound like she could be as many as twenty different nationalities (Macedonian as it turns out). And music that will make you move. All over.

Datblygu - Dymuiada Da: When I first saw the artist name, and the title, I thought Russian (it vaguely looks like the Russian translation for Yes, diamonds), when it started to play I thought, “oh, nice, German folk.” When I searched the web, it turns out it was Welsh. Bizarre language. Awesome song. I’d like to hear more, as some research shows that they are quite diverse; Welsh disco???

Wyclef Jean - Perfect Gentleman: I think there is some genuine sincerity in this song, and this is quite uncommon for the subject matter, and genre. How true, just because she dances with the pole, she is not a ho. I’d love to play this for my friends mother, who is constantly doggin’ on strippers, “no self-respect”. Arrangements surrounding the song are superb. I too want to marry a stripper…in Mexico.

Father/Son duo w/ Erhu - Streets of Lhasa: Pleasing to the ears. The child singer sounds like he means business too; not to be taken lightly. Too bad we don’t have a translation for this. I love how the tempo picks up in the middle part. Sublime Frequencies is who put this out, right? Hm.

Avril Lavinge - Forgotten: Honestly, I’m trying to be fair about all of this, everything deserves a listen…at least once. When I saw this on the tracklist, I grimaced a little. It really is not that bad, and the girl can sing.

Willie Nelson - Can I Sleep in Your Arms?: This was a nice surprise! Extremely heartfelt like very few artist can be, without sounding tacky. My uncle is a huge Willie Nelson fan, and I asked about this tune, and instantly he knew. I told him where I heard it, and he had a chuckle that it came from an English fellows mix tape. Does he have a big fan base over there? These old country tunes can bring a tear to your eye when you’re drunk. Vodka and Willie Nelson.

Itchy Tasty - Loss of the Stoat Part 1: Nice live track, with some stand out drumming. This is the type of stuff you hear in bars around here, in fact this sounds as though it was recorded in a bar/small venue. Is there a studio version of this? Next to nothing about this band online.

Roland Kirk - Volunteered Slavery: Does this epitomize cool or what? I have a few Kirk LP’s that I’ve found dirt cheap at a used record store here. Not this particular track though, I’ve since seen this available and could kick myself for not picking it up. Why is the melody so god damn familiar?! It seems as though I’ve heard this somewhere, but for the life of me I can’t think of where. One of my favorite tracks on the tape. I want to dance now. New Orleans funeral style… Also this seems like a good time to compliment you on how well these tracks flow together.

I’m Being Good - What Is Phonewolf?: This reminds me of Arab on Radar, but much better. Its quite playful/chaotic. Oh, listen to that sax. I’d like to hear more from these guys. Where should I start, they have three albums I see here.

Sizzla - Dis Gangstar: I’d probably be able to form more of an opinion if I could of understood what he was saying, after all it was English? Dancehall beat was fine nonetheless, I do so love dancehall, but more in the line of Burning Spear and Sugar Minott. I’d probably like some of his stuff, this just wasn’t the right track. Also, Bobo Ashanti? Are you kidding me?

Huun Huur Tu - Khoomei: The second side starts off with some throat singing. Often times throat singing can be the most soothing and reflective sounds imaginable. This track easily fits into that category. North Korean shortwave stations plays some incredible throat singing from time to time.

Diamanda Galas - Abel et Cain: At last my ears are graced with the voice of one Diamada Galas. There are parts of this song that I love and others that are less than impressive. That’s not to say its bad, but it will take a few more listens. Not at all what I’d imagined her to sound like. Is this standard fare for her? Taking a long, repeated listen, there is a lot to hear.

Suhendi Afryanto - Mbuh: All kinds of stuff going on here, and I needed to pump up the volume. Part of it sound a lot like what I’d imagine music in the ancient world would have sounded like. The throbbing rhythm = the marching Roman Army. But then there are parts that have a Residents sounding vibe. Quite joyful and earthy towards the end. Indonesian as it turns out? Java, where have you been? Strange stuff here, but one of the best moments of the tape.

Ground Zero - Die Kapple von Kersplatz: I’ve heard of these guys, and now I wonder why it is I haven’t given them a spin before. This one is special, but not quite as special as the next one.

Laura Cantrell - Bees: The previous track accompanies this song perfectly. I don’t have the words to describe how much I enjoy this song. I know I’ve told you I bought Humming By the Flowered Vine, all because of this song. For all of you who are reading this and have not heard Miss Cantrell, what are you waiting for? I <3 her. Thanks Glice.

Atari Teenage Riot - Fuck All!!!: Oh hell yes. By now I’ve forgotten the bees. I know quite a few songs from these guys, but none as good as this one. Awesome, awesome, awesome. I need more from these fine German folk.

Moscow Balalaika Quartet - [I don’t understand Russian text, call it what you like]: Well, it just so happens I can understand Russian text, however I wasn’t able to find this track online, so in honor of you Glice, we’ll name this one Петух (cock). Seriously though, I love the sound of the Balalaika. I have a few great aunts that are about 800 years old that would really enjoy this. Yes, they would enjoy Петух.

The Rebel - Piers, Peers, Piers: This one had me laughing all the way through. I’ve downloaded the album this is from, for kicks. What a pathetic, whiny voice we have here, coupled with some sound chaos: get your shit out of my ears. I actually feel bad for him in this song. Terrific stuff. Perhaps this belong in the funny music thread.

The Fall - 4 ½ Inch: I’m so sold on these guys its not even funny. Its totally a sign that both mixtapes I’ve received have two tracks from this band. What kind of sign though………………

Widget Evil - Terrorists Drink Lemonade: I’m not too sure on this one, it sounds like System of a Down, only with better lyrics. The song title however, is very good. Do they have lemonade in the Middle East? The ending has a nice send off for the whole tape, “that’s all motherfucker!”.

Fabulous tape Glice!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth