Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page 100%, Dirty and Skateboarding
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.10.2008, 08:11 AM   #1
cagedbird
the destroyed room

cagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's asses
Skating is taking on a new popularity in the New York/Tri-State Area. But what was it about skating that attracted the imagination of so many in the 90s as well? Maybe I need to rent Dogtown and Z-Boys. I assume it all goes back to California in the 70s, like so much of the Sonic Youth body of work. Is this a Kim Gordon phenomenon or can we assume that Thurston, Steve and Lee were equally under the sway of this scene due to their punk rock interests and the extreme availability of that music in that (Californian) scene? And why does this 70s phenomenon come back in the 90s, of all times? And again, why did Sonic Youth latch on to it so fiercely, as in the video of 100%? Maybe it's a hardcore thing, too. I am going in circles.
cagedbird is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.10.2008, 05:15 PM   #2
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
skates has always been mainly an underground counterculture thing, and the fellas in sonic youth love and support all manner of counterculture stuff. skateboarding is just part of it. the hardcore scene in the 80's tied in with skate boarding in ahuge way back then.
I think it was mainly thurston and steve into that stuff though. I may be wrong.
Old 11.10.2008, 06:19 PM   #3
cagedbird
the destroyed room

cagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's asses
thanks. i love that video.
cagedbird is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2008, 03:19 AM   #4
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
i don't know if sy ever skated but i know they got the idea for the video by watching a skateboard movie with the guys who eventually appeared in the video,i think everyone is interested in skating for one reason...it's awesome

honestly if you skateboard you'd understand, i've been skating about 12 years now, haven't even gotten good but i just don't give a shit and still keep skating, it's a very special,unique feeling and alot of fun and it's been an influence on my life in a few ways; meeting people,finding new bands through the soundtracks to skate videos etc. i absolutely dread the day where i will no longer be able to skateboard

shred 4 lyfe
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2008, 03:33 AM   #5
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcharge
i don't know if sy ever skated but i know they got the idea for the video by watching a skateboard movie with the guys who eventually appeared in the video,i think everyone is interested in skating for one reason...it's awesome

honestly if you skateboard you'd understand, i've been skating about 12 years now, haven't even gotten good but i just don't give a shit and still keep skating, it's a very special,unique feeling and alot of fun and it's been an influence on my life in a few ways; meeting people,finding new bands through the soundtracks to skate videos etc. i absolutely dread the day where i will no longer be able to skateboard

shred 4 lyfe

the video was blind's video days (a young jason lee is in it, ripping it up of course). it's a great video even after 16 years. it was also directed by spike jonze. you can google video it i think.

i feel the same way about skating. i've been skating for 14 years now and it's always a great feeling when you're riding on your board. i prefer riding my bike nowadays, but skating will always be an important part of my life.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2008, 11:49 AM   #6
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I skated for about 4 years and just do not have the balance necesary. but it is fun as all fuck.
Old 11.11.2008, 02:31 PM   #7
deadrockstar
little trouble girl

deadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's asses
I'm pretty sure it is Kim who skateboard, so maybe her influence?
deadrockstar is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2008, 02:44 PM   #8
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadrockstar
I'm pretty sure it is Kim who skateboard, so maybe her influence?

i don't think anyone in sy skated. they were just influenced by the skate culture.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2008, 02:58 PM   #9
deadrockstar
little trouble girl

deadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhler
i don't think anyone in sy skated. they were just influenced by the skate culture.

there is a set of photographs of kim skateboarding, that's what i'm basing my assumption on. possibly they were only promotional shots for something - i don't know why though, i always thought she could skateboard.
deadrockstar is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2008, 12:33 PM   #10
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses
i was a skater in the early nintees and thats how i got into sonic youth
seeing the 100percent video got me hoooked immidietly!
maaaan that was more than 15 years ago..

Bal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2008, 03:09 PM   #11
mooger_fooger
bad moon rising

mooger_fooger ain't too shabbymooger_fooger ain't too shabby
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcharge
i don't know if sy ever skated but i know they got the idea for the video by watching a skateboard movie with the guys who eventually appeared in the video..

shred 4 lyfe

I read a skateboarding magazine back afew years (2001? 2002?) and
there was an interview with Thurston regarding his connection to skateboarding..which apparently wasn't much other than appreciation
b/c he thought he was too tall to skate, until he saw Krist Noveselic skating
back stage at a show and 'really ripping it' as I recall the quote.

It's my understanding the idea for the video came about by everyone being super impressed by Spike Jonze's video he did for Blind skateboards.

With that said...ANYBODY know what that magazine was? I was working
at a convinience store at the time so I just swiped it off the shelf and read it..sadly I did not purchase it
mooger_fooger is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.17.2008, 12:43 PM   #12
fluxequalsrad
stalker

fluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's asses
I have been skateboarding since I was 14 (20 now), and the only board I have now is an Enjoi 70's style board. It has bigger wheels, but isn't quite a long board. It's the perfect riding board - just going from place to place, hauling ass... so much fun.

There is a skate park in my neighborhood and I used to just ride the mini-bowl late at night when the place was empty for hours on end. ...I do see it as a 'lifestyle' thing only because you have to invest a lot of time and effort into being a decent skater, or at least good enough not to eat it on weekly basis.
fluxequalsrad is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.18.2008, 01:02 PM   #13
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
i know they used to really enjoy watching skate videos. apparently kim turned thurston on to it. as a result they got spike jonze. to direct for 'em.

actually, if im not mistaken, spike only directed the skateboarding parts of the 100% vid, and i think it was tamra davis who did the rest
im not sure tho

Old 12.18.2008, 03:19 PM   #14
mooger_fooger
bad moon rising

mooger_fooger ain't too shabbymooger_fooger ain't too shabby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bal
actually, if im not mistaken, spike only directed the skateboarding parts of the 100% vid, and i think it was tamra davis who did the rest
im not sure tho

Yeppers, that was Miss Davis' work
mooger_fooger is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.18.2008, 05:38 PM   #15
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
I think it's also mainly because sooooo many skaters are into SY.
It's awesome to skate to.
Old 12.21.2008, 07:13 AM   #16
Bal
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)

whats weird is that is seems to become a bit of a fashion statement too. around here, back then, if someone was wearing a skate-tee or etnies/duffs/whatever they almost definately ordered them (there was one skate shop, but it was pricey). these days, wow, ill see ids just walking aqround carrying their boards. like, seldom ever actually skating. theyll have their little dc hats cocked to the side n' shit. its funny.

yeah skateboarding got really kind of into the mainstream nowdays
compared to when i was skating (early 90s)
i mean you get tony hawk games all over yr face, bam margera has his own
show on mtv, x-games is live on tv bla bla..
its still cool tho.

Old 12.21.2008, 07:48 AM   #17
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.foriegnmoviesddl.com/2008...ike-jonze.html

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth