Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page what are you listening to?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.28.2017, 09:57 AM   #49061
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Barış Manço - Sakla Samani Gelir Zamani
70s Turkish rock was really quite something.
see this is what we miss you doing here more.

where do you get that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian

funny thing i used to love genesis as a kid and still have my phone packed with them but i never heard of these, and surpise surprise, they're not downloadable

im having a problem supplementing unstreamable music to my phone.

i think i'm gonna purchase the albums in amazon so they're downloadable where i go.

speaking of which, king crimson put up ONE album on spotify. it's good songs but sounds like a strange mutation of the group i've never heard of before.

anyway i'm listening to YES time and a word which is this strange mixture of folk and psychedelic that drinks from the stream of old english music and adds electricity to it plus lsd maybe? supposedly they drank tons but i think not so much. beer drinkers probably.

anyway, im doing monday housekeeping and i need a beer. crap! the lawn is not gonna mow itself.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2017, 09:57 AM   #49062
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
thank you cerdito

gonna try to make these work this morning
Old 08.28.2017, 10:52 AM   #49063
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
If you are in a Yes/Crimson mood, check out Claudio Simonetti's pre-Goblin group Cherry Five. I picked up a reissue of this the other day and it's pretty great. Not as unique as Goblin but a very cool Italian take on the classic early Progressive thing.
A lot of the Turkish stuff has been getting reissued lately as well. A couple of labels seem to be specializing in making that stuff more widely available. There are a lot of videos of a lot of those guys up on YouTube. In their native land in their time they were pretty huge Stars, so that's kind of a nice Resource as well.
Bunalim and early Erkin Koray are also great.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2017, 11:10 AM   #49065
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Erkin Koray, Mogollar and Barış Manço I'm certainly going to keep an eye on when it comes to reissues.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2017, 11:20 AM   #49066
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I like Circuits quite a bit. Thanks!
They cover the only Cleaners from Venus song that I remember from memory. I think the reissue of one or more of their records was a big deal a few years ago. I never understood why. They made pretty average music.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2017, 11:26 AM   #49067
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Im lissening to that playboy page right now

I like the basic drums / bass

I can't make out what he's yelling about

I like the keyboard too

__

Sounded like the school.of james.chance
Old 08.28.2017, 11:42 AM   #49068
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
They cover the only Cleaners from Venus song that I remember from memory. I think the reissue of one or more of their records was a big deal a few years ago. I never understood why. They made pretty average music.

You only remember one Cleaners from Venus song? That seems weird to me.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2017, 11:46 AM   #49069
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
see this is what we miss you doing here more.

where do you get that?

funny thing i used to love genesis as a kid and still have my phone packed with them but i never heard of these, and surpise surprise, they're not downloadable

im having a problem supplementing unstreamable music to my phone.

i think i'm gonna purchase the albums in amazon so they're downloadable where i go.

speaking of which, king crimson put up ONE album on spotify. it's good songs but sounds like a strange mutation of the group i've never heard of before.

anyway i'm listening to YES time and a word which is this strange mixture of folk and psychedelic that drinks from the stream of old english music and adds electricity to it plus lsd maybe? supposedly they drank tons but i think not so much. beer drinkers probably.

anyway, im doing monday housekeeping and i need a beer. crap! the lawn is not gonna mow itself.

Genesis post-Gabriel was a full-tilt fuckaround. I remember "No Son of Mine" was big when I was young. On the radio a lot. Oh and "I can't Dance." Pure shit. Just really shitty shit.

Peter Gabriel's solo stuff is weird. Not proggy, really. More arty. There's still some big bombastic stuff that I don't tolerate well, but Melt sounds almost art-punky to me. I can see this stuff on a playlist with New Order, Joy Division, maybe even PiL. I dunno. Then there's the later stuff like So, which is often really corny, but still OK.
Old 08.28.2017, 06:28 PM   #49070
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
My daughter and I made a quick day trip to New Orleans Saturday. Here are the CD's I placed in the car, listened to everything except the Mogwai, and three tracks from, Radio K.A.O.S.

Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2017, 07:10 PM   #49071
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

man, wat is with peter gabriel popping up everywhere

for serious

(im a fan btw)
Old 08.28.2017, 07:13 PM   #49072
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Genesis post-Gabriel was a full-tilt fuckaround. I remember "No Son of Mine" was big when I was young. On the radio a lot. Oh and "I can't Dance." Pure shit. Just really shitty shit.

Peter Gabriel's solo stuff is weird. Not proggy, really. More arty. There's still some big bombastic stuff that I don't tolerate well, but Melt sounds almost art-punky to me. I can see this stuff on a playlist with New Order, Joy Division, maybe even PiL. I dunno. Then there's the later stuff like So, which is often really corny, but still OK.
gabriel did work with laurie anderson yeah.

lol 80s genesis is utter mental trash

if you hear phil collins in the drums though, when gabriel was bandleader, he was fucking fantastic. why did he have to open his fucking mouth? and yet, he made TONS of money. 80s genesis sold more than the garbage pail kids.

life is so wrong.
Old 08.28.2017, 09:41 PM   #49073
dirty bunny
expwy. to yr skull

dirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's asses
star sign- teenage fanclub
Old 08.31.2017, 07:26 AM   #49074
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses

The Backbeat Band
Backbeat
1994, So here's an idea: make a movie in 1994 about the early Beatles. But instead of getting a band to try to sound like the early Beatles, just get Dave Pirner, Greg Dulli, Thurston Moore, Don Fleming, Mike Mills and Dave Grohl to run through these old standards. It's a good idea, and probably sounded like a genius idea in 1994. The results are slightly less wild than I might have hoped for, though. I mean yeah these are sloppier versions, and sure Pirner and Dulli sound like Pirner and Dulli. But I don't know, there's not quite as much personality here as there could be. For the most part it just kind of sounds like an especially energetic cover band. I'm sure they had fun. It sounds like it anyway. But there's just nothing truly standout here. Maybe it works well for the movie - I've never seen it. Or maybe I'm just being too hard on the recordings given that it's a bit of a supergroup filled with guys from bands I love. Oh well.
Old 08.31.2017, 10:33 AM   #49075
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
I have not heard those songs or seen that movie in years. I get the impression from what I remember is that the movie wanted to present The Beatles as inventing it all. Like, hey remember when The Beatles were punk rock before punk rock existed? Even that image of them all wearing black leather jackets has a 'they were doing it before The Ramones' feel to it.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2017, 10:38 AM   #49076
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
ha! Look at the pic on the left... "remember when the Beatles were Lou Reed first?"
Old 08.31.2017, 11:16 AM   #49077
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

finally gave it a listen, thanks!

in the 60s/ 70s there were a lot of psychedelic/prog/krautrock influences in "3rd world" music (not sure turkey fits the mold, but everyone knows os mutantes) at the same time that rich-country musicians either went out in search of world music (so many bands to india) and/or assimilated immigrant cultures (e.g santana). so-- glad to have found a new one. no idea this guy existed.

Quote:
Erkin Koray, Mogollar and Barış Manço I'm certainly going to keep an eye on when it comes to reissues.

there's a ton of baris mancho on spotify-- the dates are all fucked up as usual with spotify but i think one can match things w/ discogs, wikipedia, and good use of the search function

im gonna look for the other names you mention- and again thanks

--

found 3 mogollar albums [eta: lots more! it was 3 singles. ton of albums. all very confusing]

--

eg from what i was saying: los jaivas https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zWKqatBLX58

or (a bit more cosmopolitan and bluesy cuz argentina has its head in europe) luis alberto spinetta: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ArnKUmtwrhI
Old 08.31.2017, 12:50 PM   #49078
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

more jaivas, see, this one is great

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ6-e3yXmC0

that whole album is pretty great for the most part
Old 09.01.2017, 10:05 AM   #49079
Severian
invito al cielo

Tera Melos - Trash Generator

Not really grabbed by it yet, but Tera Melos was once a favorite of mine, and I'm willing to give it a chance... see if there's still anything there.
Old 09.01.2017, 11:10 AM   #49080
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses

SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
1954235424042444245124522453 2454 245524562457246425042554 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth