Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Question for vinyl junkies (gmku and the rest...)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.18.2006, 09:22 AM   #61
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Or you could just go to a record store and have them throw it on the VPI or Nitty Gritty cleaning machine for a dollar.

Yeah, but my way is DIY!
Old 08.18.2006, 09:25 AM   #62
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
Yeah, but my way is DIY!

I give you your due respect for that.

If I could afford my own VPI or Nitty Gritty, I would own one for sure.
That Nitty Gritty solution kind of gives me a headache though. Your cleaning solution sounds more brain-cell friendly.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.18.2006, 09:26 AM   #63
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I threw out my old Discwasher brush becuz I was finding it was making my records dirtier. It wasn't dust so much as lint and fibers coming loose from the brush and adhering to the vinyl when I used the solution. That's when I switched to the microfibre cloths and my own solution of 1/2 distilled water and 1/2 denatured alcohol. Haven't had a problem since.

I do throw the microfibre cloths in the wash every once in a while, too.

how long have you had yours before throwing it out?

mine is just not picking up the dust anymore...i found a show brush which is similar to the record cleaning one except the things are much harder so i'm afraid to use it on a vinyl.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.18.2006, 09:32 AM   #64
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I had mine for years and years and years. I'm old, remember? I'm sure a new one would work fine, I just think after so many uses they start to go bad.

I thought I was going mad at first. I'd bring home new untouched vinyl, clean them once before spinning, and they'd sound like shit. And the more I tried using the Discwasher brush, the shittier they sounded. I had to take all the vinyl I'd been using the brush on and do a deep cleaning with soap and denatured alcohol to get them to sound new again.

These days, I give new records a light brush with the microfibre and I'm done, rarely use the solution. Some audiophiles claim there's a coating on new vinyl that you're supposed to wash off with a solution before playing but I don't buy it.
Old 08.18.2006, 11:34 AM   #65
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

m^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard sucka
just listened to the vinyl last night. Since I dont have speakers, I just plugged in headphones and laid on the floor in the dark, fucking great...
m^a(t)h is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.18.2006, 01:51 PM   #66
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I had mine for years and years and years. I'm old, remember?...

i inherited mine from my mom, so the thing is old too.

the brushy thingys are still going strong, my only concern is that i don't store it so i think it's gathering a little dust and might have something to do with it not picking enough crap from the discs to clean them.

or maybe i'm just being anal.

i've used those cd wiper cloths to clean really old, really dirty vinyls to great effect though.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.19.2006, 01:54 AM   #67
against_the_grain
stalker

against_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard sucka
Quote:
My first vinyl purchase was Sgt Pepper's in 1969.

'69 !!! ! You late bloomer.

I bought In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida in the fall of 1968. Got it at a Naval Base PX for $2.95, brand new of course. First 'acquired' vinyl was hmmmmm....I snagged the 45rpm of 'Purple People Eater' from my oldest sis in about '63-'64 as I was also snaggin' her 'Meet the Beatles' mono btw,...for my first LP ...

last vinyl I ever purchased before switching to cd's was.....

U2 ... War

Do not fear mistakes. There are none

Miles Davis
against_the_grain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.21.2006, 08:51 AM   #68
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
some turntables have knobs to adjust the speed. maybe you need to do that. or, you could check the "balance" on the tone arm. if it is set too high you are puting too much weight onto the needle itself. that could drag your records. I think it is highly likely that you just need a new belt for your turntable (if it is indeed belt driven) they are cheap to get.
http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl;jsessionid=ac112b2d1f43670880d2831f46ce906ca0 c859af2058.e3eTaxePaNqNe38Kax0Nb3eMah50n6jAmljGr5X DqQLvpAe?sc=2&search=belt

I love VINYL!!!
Old 08.21.2006, 09:31 AM   #69
gmku
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by against_the_grain
'69 !!! ! You late bloomer.

I bought In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida in the fall of 1968. Got it at a Naval Base PX for $2.95, brand new of course. First 'acquired' vinyl was hmmmmm....I snagged the 45rpm of 'Purple People Eater' from my oldest sis in about '63-'64 as I was also snaggin' her 'Meet the Beatles' mono btw,...for my first LP ...

last vinyl I ever purchased before switching to cd's was.....

U2 ... War

Yeah, can ya believe it? I was just into comic books and baseball cards up until about 9th grade, and then my family visited my cousins and I was blown away by their cool Beatles collection. They were playing the Let It Be and Abbey Road albums, and I thought those Apples spinning on the record player were the coolest thing I'd ever seen, as were their copies of John Lennon's Instant Karma singles. I was hooked, went home, hit the record stores, and I've never been the same.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth