Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page SY Rather Ripped Tour Statistics
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.22.2006, 07:38 PM   #81
kenning
little trouble girl

kenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jheii
I want to see what they're doing NOW

I saw Bonnaroo and was really impressed with the way the new material translated live. I think y'all should reserve judgment on the album and the setlists until you've taken in a show. Keep an open mind. I trust it'll still slay anything else you see this year!
kenning is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2006, 07:51 PM   #82
tobyd
empty page

tobyd has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenning
I think y'all should reserve judgment on the album and the setlists until you've taken in a show. Keep an open mind. I trust it'll still slay anything else you see this year!

Well put. I was lucky to see two sets at the 930 and by the second show I was completely sold up the river on the new tunes. A little familiarity goes a long way. Rock on. T
tobyd is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2006, 08:38 PM   #83
habibtheantiamericanbitch
bad moon rising

habibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard suckahabibtheantiamericanbitch cold hard sucka
i remember seeing them in 1998 and initially being disappointed in hearing only new stuff, save Death Valley.....but as i left, and before i even got to my car, all i could think about was how wonderful it actually was. i got it. here's a band with hundreds of songs to play and absolutely nothing to prove to their fans and they just ran with it. Sonic Youth is a band that you actually look forward to hearing new live stuff from. you know them, you love them, you respect them as artists, and you have many or all of their records. You know they aren't making this stuff to hit the Billboard charts or sell a million records (notice they haven't released a proper single since Little Trouble Girl). They're quite familiar with their backlog and treat us to a few every now and then, but wish to remain in the now. i'll be content to never hear the 'singles' again (Bull, Kool, etc). Not too many people attend a SY show to hear a song that a 'cutting edge' station played twice a day or MTV played once a month. Their true fans want to hear what they have been up to since the last time they came around. Do you go into a new David Lynch film looking for a bunch of references to Blue Velvet or Eraserhead???? NO. it's the style you crave. you want new material from the genius style you're used to. But SY seldom ever gives you 'Straight Story', which is in and of itself gorgeous, but not what you really wanted. They deliver the goods, no matter what they play. i think last couple tours they were trying to appeal to too many fans and potential fans. but then, each set was usually 2 hours and fukkin fierce! also remember, they're breaking in a new semi-member AND judging by the recent Oklahoma gig, they are breaking out more oldies. at least 6 non-RR songs on that one!!

just respect yr Sonic Noize Boyz and Grrl. They've been around for a quarter century.........

...............but if i have to hear Eric's Trip live for the 8th fukkkkking time, i'm gonna shit a slinky.........
habibtheantiamericanbitch is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2006, 08:45 PM   #84
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
if you want greatest hits go see neil Diamond (who actually puts on one hell of a show!)
neil's good! i thought he was a corn ball after watching saving silverman. but he's a good musician.. i picked up a live LP, its really good
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 12:02 AM   #85
Chaffie
empty page

Chaffie is a jewel in the roughChaffie is a jewel in the roughChaffie is a jewel in the rough
If I was Sonic Youth and I read these forums, I'd purposely keep playing the new songs. I say be surprised by the setlist and not demand anything. Sure, I'd be psyched to hear Expressway or Candle or whichever older songs they decide to play at the L.A. secret show. But I don't really care anymore, this'll be my first time seeing them live after missing seeing them the past three times they've come around here, so I'll just be greatful with whatever.

Chaffie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 12:10 AM   #86
createsounds
little trouble girl

createsounds has tongues queuing up for a rim-festcreatesounds has tongues queuing up for a rim-festcreatesounds has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest
i just want em to change up the old songs ...... 100% agian this tour.... what next tom violence, drunken butterfly ....
dont get me wrong its not that these songs arent rockin, its just i mean, this will be like the 3rd tour in a row with those as the extras aside from the new album... which is kind of a bumber ....

but either was the shows kick ass and i feel very fortunate to be there and have been there
createsounds is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 12:57 AM   #87
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
They should replace 100% with Screaming Skull.
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 01:05 AM   #88
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
They should play in the kingdom #19

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 01:05 AM   #89
defconprime
empty page

defconprime has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Well, I was at the Houston show tonight, and I don't really remember the order of songs, but they played every song from the new album, as well as Schizophrenia, Eric's Trip, Kool Thing, and Shaking Hell.

I thought they rocked out. The crowd was pretty docile. I mean, hardly anybody was even bopping their heads. It was like this big contest to see who could be the most stoic person there.

Except for Kool Thing, which the crowd exploded during. Some surfers, a mild mosh pit. There was for two seconds of Shaking Hell this scary violent mosh pit, but I think somebody got hurt and it ended fast.

At one point somebody threw a weird hat and a super small shirt on stage and Thurston almost took off his shirt for the audience, but then said he had 47-year old man pudge and didn't want to. He still put the shirt on over his shirt and chased Kim goofily. Kim then said something like "It's the show that never ends!" (This was the second encore)

Anyway, I like the new album, and I loved seeing them rock socks. Maybe that means I'm not a real fan or something, but whatever. I got my $20 worth, and then some.

Glenn
defconprime is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 07:05 PM   #90
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
yea, like other people have said, SY's songs sound better live than on a record. I remember there were some songs on the nurse tour that the cd version i didnt like but the live versions were awesome.
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 07:07 PM   #91
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedcola
yea, like other people have said, SY's songs sound better live than on a record. I remember there were some songs on the nurse tour that the cd version i didnt like but the live versions were awesome.

After seeing and hearing the Rather Ripped songs played live, I had a new found like for the album.
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 07:15 PM   #92
elverum
empty page

elverum has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
That Houston setlist is wrong. Or happened before the encore, yr missing Pink Steam, and there were two encores, not one.
elverum is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 09:56 PM   #93
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadicfollower
After seeing and hearing the Rather Ripped songs played live, I had a new found like for the album.

The live version of Rather Ripped defintiely sounds much better than on record. I don't know why, but the LP version just sounds a little bit subdued, lazy. Don't know how else to put it.

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 09:56 PM   #94
thethuthinnang
little trouble girl

thethuthinnang is a name known to allthethuthinnang is a name known to allthethuthinnang is a name known to allthethuthinnang is a name known to allthethuthinnang is a name known to allthethuthinnang is a name known to all
Well, let's get an acurate setlist then.
thethuthinnang is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 11:50 PM   #95
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
"cat on a leash" (space/noise/improv) CDR's

1. CREATESOUNDS- noise guitar, "scotland", noise monster,construction site,++++

2.The Red lighter- live on planet earth,w/pony on the drums
3.blonde&brunette-@ "dark corners", art & music happenings
4.the "action" duo- Noise City
for any of these releases contact me "hear" or via email createsounds@netscape.net

this is a mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by createsounds
... which is kind of a bumber ....

& a real bumber

haha

one more time...
"cat on a leash" (space/noise/improv) CDR's

1. CREATESOUNDS- noise guitar, "scotland", noise monster,construction site,++++

2.The Red lighter- live on planet earth,w/pony on the drums
3.blonde&brunette-@ "dark corners", art & music happenings
4.the "action" duo- Noise City
for any of these releases contact me "hear" or via email createsounds@netscape.net
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2006, 12:47 AM   #96
jamiefriggin
empty page

jamiefriggin has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethuthinnang
Well, let's get an acurate setlist then.

H-town:

Reena
Incinerate
Eric's Trip
Do You Believe in Rapture?
What a Waste
Schizophrenia
Turquoise Boy
Sleep Around
Rats
Kool Thing
Pink Steam
Or
------------
Lights Out
The Neutral
------------
Jams Run Free
Shaking Hell

jamiefriggin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2006, 04:05 AM   #97
Fantinfind
empty page

Fantinfind has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
The new stuff sounds better live. It's good.
A few songs into the second DC show, Thurston anounced they'd play a song from the next record, a protest song against the president and his 'politics of orgasm'. That got a nice reaction and they played maybe for a minute, no lyrics.
Should have stuck around for autographs or went earlier to the Smithsonian too. Oh well.
Fantinfind is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2006, 04:52 AM   #98
Toxa
100%

Toxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's asses
can someone post a correct setlist from Tulsa 06/21 please? Its the only one I missed

thanks.
Toxa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2006, 12:49 PM   #99
nature scene
100%

nature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard sucka
I was very disappointed with the Asheville, NC show. Sonic Youth just looked like they were going through the motions but weren't really into what they were playing.

On the other hand, Be Your Own Pet were full of energy and showed up SY without a doubt. I wish they had played longer.
nature scene is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2006, 03:16 PM   #100
habanero
empty page

habanero has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature scene
I was very disappointed with the Asheville, NC show. Sonic Youth just looked like they were going through the motions but weren't really into what they were playing.

On the other hand, Be Your Own Pet were full of energy and showed up SY without a doubt. I wish they had played longer.

I was at that show too.

As I have stated before, they were tight, entertaining, and they looked like they were having fun.

Be Your Own Pet was energetic, just as you would expect a band of kids to be. Sonic Youth are seasoned and well rehearsed veterans. And it showed in the quality of their show.
habanero is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth