Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Sonic humans?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.24.2006, 10:22 PM   #1
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Daycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's asses
Would it bother anyone here if they heard a story about Sonic Youth being mean or not very cool?

I once had a roommate in a band that won a Grammy, and he told me that long ago, in the 80's, they played a festival with Sonic Youth. SY asked to borrow their instruments and then proceeded to destroy them on stage without permission and without reimbursing his band for the money. His band was very poor but didn't wish to make waves because it was after all Sonic Youth.

I don't vouch for the validity of this story, and I certainly don't wish to bring up any bad feelings when my friend asked me not to do it...but I do question in my mind whether this could be true, and if it is true, I ask myself how and why, and what kind of people SY are.

That dragon ain't the love sweet love.
Daycare Nation is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2006, 11:27 PM   #2
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
if that's true that's fucked up.
some people on the old board were talking about how the sonics dont maintain freindships in which they won't benifet from. i'm not really sure how to interpet that, but it doesn't sound good
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2006, 11:32 PM   #3
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
If any band borrowed insturments from another band I don't think they would be stupid enough to break them. That would be really shitty, doesn't matter if you are Nirvana, SY, or The Who. Break your own damn insturments cheapos.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2006, 11:41 PM   #4
mikec
bad moon rising

mikec has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I would definitely be bothered if it were true. They're one of my favorite bands but that doesn't preclude them from being assholes, if they did in fact do what your roomate says they did.
mikec is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.25.2006, 12:24 AM   #5
umjammer atomsk
the end of the ugly

umjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec
I would definitely be bothered if it were true. They're one of my favorite bands but that doesn't preclude them from being assholes, if they did in fact do what your roommate says they did.

I agree.

But out of curiosity, is there any chance you could disclose the name of the grammy award winning band, Daycare?

umjammer atomsk is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.25.2006, 12:26 AM   #6
soniknirve
the destroyed room

soniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's asses
why would they borrow guitars. don't they own like a zillion of 'em...
soniknirve is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.25.2006, 02:26 AM   #7
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
It doesn't really matter to me.
I like SY for the music they make, not who they are. I certainly would not recomend looking to rock stars for role models. Most of them are arseholes
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.25.2006, 04:57 AM   #8
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
i heard a similar story about thurston renting an amp during a solo improv show and going to town on it... it was rented from the friend of someone who posted on the old board... maybe they are here?
whorefrost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.25.2006, 04:59 AM   #9
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
also heard a story about thurston ignoring journalists from small publications after he realised they weren't with any sort of mainstream magazine... this was apparently in the early 90s tho, an era in which thurston himself admitted he had hopes that the band would achieve mainstream success...
whorefrost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.25.2006, 05:23 AM   #10
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
I couldn't care any less about what they are like as people as long as they make good music and they dont abuse the NHS.If i was your friend and Thurston Moore had just smashed my guitar what i'd be likely to do is to follow his mum and dad around for 3 years wearing an african mask and nothing except for
sexy, girly underwear.Something tells me that he would pay me back somehow.......

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.25.2006, 05:51 AM   #11
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkmarras
I couldn't care any less about what they are like as people as long as they make good music and they dont abuse the NHS.If i was your friend and Thurston Moore had just smashed my guitar what i'd be likely to do is to follow his mum and dad around for 3 years wearing an african mask and nothing except for
sexy, girly underwear.Something tells me that he would pay me back somehow.......

Why must you always post exactly what I was thinking...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.25.2006, 05:56 AM   #12
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
you must spread some moisturizing cream on Glice's face before you kiss him on the cheek

Old 05.25.2006, 05:59 AM   #13
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
'Moisturizing cream'... that's a new one on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.25.2006, 06:09 AM   #14
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Never had a little pampering session?

Old 05.25.2006, 06:12 AM   #15
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Old 05.25.2006, 06:35 AM   #16
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
yes who is this grammy award winning band.... and yes it is fucked if they did this, however 100% verification would be neccasary. stories are stories are stories are fiction unless they are non fiction
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.25.2006, 06:49 AM   #17
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
kill yr idols
Old 05.25.2006, 06:53 AM   #18
PunkerViolence
stalker

PunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's asses
=/...proof is needed
PunkerViolence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.25.2006, 07:04 AM   #19
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
he should be honoured SY trashed his gear, probably was a shite guitar anyways, SY could have been doing them a favor. nahh only joking really, i doubt the accuracy of this story, i reckon yr man could be exaggerating a little - my friend does that and its kinda humerous.
Like my old Dad says..
"theres 3 sides to every story, your side, my side and the truth"

so we'll probably never really know
Old 05.25.2006, 07:15 AM   #20
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonkey
he should be honoured SY trashed his gear, probably was a shite guitar anyways, SY could have been doing them a favor. nahh only joking really, i doubt the accuracy of this story, i reckon yr man could be exaggerating a little - my friend does that and its kinda humerous.
Like my old Dad says..
"theres 3 sides to every story, your side, my side and the truth"

so we'll probably never really know

your Dad knows the score
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth