Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Do You Believe In Leaking?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you think it's right to dowload Rather Ripped?
Fuck the little shits that leaked it 12 10.81%
No...Just no 21 18.92%
I don't care 22 19.82%
It's good that it's available to the people who want it 42 37.84%
Fuck yea! 14 12.61%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04.14.2006, 12:18 PM   #201
AllHandsOnTheBigOne
children of satan

AllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by truncated
Do you and Thurston have your slumber parties on Friday or Saturday nights?

Because there's no other way you could know what anyone's intentions are.

Presumption is a vehicle of character suicide.

Are they releasing the album? Yes? So what other conclusion is there? They want to release the music and yet hope no one purchases it or listens to it?
Old 04.14.2006, 12:19 PM   #202
chabib
Administrator

chabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllHandsOnTheBigOne
But, thanks to the beauty of the internet, I can hear the music on my terms, not on the terms of a record label..

why are you so reluctant to admit that you are quite wrong about this record label thing?
chabib is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2006, 12:30 PM   #203
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
uff, what an interesting opinions....such a huge thread

FACTS are, that the album have been leaked on the net. we, people have a two options (personally I'm going to wait) get it, or wait till its official release, and debate about what it real and right about listening and buying/trading of music can go on between two camps for fucking ages. I just do not like the fact that some kind of an early version of the official release have been leaked out and I can't really understand that!?!!!!???, there's where everything have started. especially when band doesn't like leaked stuff. so why? is it really so hard to keep it safe before official release date????
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2006, 12:35 PM   #204
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
Perhaps if I bash my head against the wall repeatedly, I will render myself blind and therefore incapable of reading.

Am I hallucinating this? Can this possibly be happening? Are you people actually roaming about freely in society?
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2006, 12:37 PM   #205
chabib
Administrator

chabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
there's where everything have started. especially when band doesn't like leaked stuff

see, again. that's not even really the issue. the issue is that they prefer to be able to ***give*** these things to their fans within some sort of context and that they personally go out of their way to make that happen. it's really pretty simple.

then some of you reply, "well, so what. it's out there. i'll take it if i want it."

so what? no shit. you'll take it if yr a selfish twat or you'll wait for the fruits of the band's behind the scenes efforts if you want to play **their** (not the record label's) game with them.

what's there to argue? i don't get it. it's like yr just rationalizing yr greed, impatience, need for clout, whatever in a public forum to vindicate yr decisions. great! do what you do. it doesn't make you less of a pollop to rationalize aloud. it just makes the cancer that is some of you a more visible cancer.

but also, like i said... i haven't received a promo copy of the record. have any of you? i'm still uncertain as to whether or not they exist.
Old 04.14.2006, 12:40 PM   #206
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
ha ha chabib is the one who leaked it while drunk,he forgot that when he woke up messed up the next day,and now here we are...ha ha....just kidding.
a question (i don't have the balls to search back ),the leaked version is a rip of the official finished work or not?i guess nowadays leaking is part of the distribution of a record,even if it's not a choice of the artist.just please STOP talking about that,CHABIB told us sy's thoughts,everybody knows it's out there,everybody will choose to dl it or not,no matter what other people say on here.i go to bed (even if it's 8pm here).
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2006, 12:50 PM   #207
selkcip
bad moon rising

selkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's asses
this is the first time (in the last three geffen sy records) that i haven't wished the leaked version was an unfinished copy
selkcip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2006, 12:56 PM   #208
Fox
the destroyed room

Fox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's asses
I just saw somebody that have the record on Slsk. But, I won't download it. Someone sent me Do You Believe In Rapture yesterday, and I don't want more, I'll wait now

Noisejob
Fox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2006, 01:03 PM   #209
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabib
...you'll take it if yr a selfish twat or you'll wait for the fruits of the band's behind the scenes efforts if you want to play **their** (not the record label's) game with them.

what's there to argue? i don't get it. it's like yr just rationalizing yr greed, impatiaence, need for clout, whatever in a public forum to vindicate yr decisions. great! do what you do. it doesn't make you less of a pollop to rationalize aloud. it just makes the cancer that is some of you a more visible cancer.

It stuns me that anyone can say 'I really wanted it' or 'music distribution has changed' and use that as a justification for theft, or even as a justification for dismissing the wishes of a group who are so generous with their art (downloads, streaming, encouraging bootleg trading etc).

Quote:
but also, like i said... i haven't received a promo copy of the record. have any of you? i'm still uncertain as to whether or not they exist.

That presenter on the Air America interview with Thurston said something that made it sound like he'd heard a copy.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2006, 01:04 PM   #210
silverfreepress (sdasher)
the destroyed room

silverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's asses
promo copious

Didn't someone post a picture of a review copy back jewel case photo on this board somewhere? It looked official and had the tracklisting with the exception of a song being renamed?

what I'm having trouble understanding is that this is promised material. This leak wasn't a show that happened in some small club in New Paltz that people want to jam to. This is a official release with an offical release date. The meals coming don't fill up on bread type shit.
Around the time NYC G's and F's was coming out Thurston played a gig at Tonic and he gave out some copies of the new cd. I'm pretty sure this was before the release. I wasn't in attnedance my friend Matt was and we hung out later that night. But see how if it was before the release date then that's a honest leak. Now far and few between would have this access which doesn't really make it elitist just rare and special.
When something is just thrown onto the internet without any thought other than "i want it now" it just has dirty undertones hell even overtones the whole tone smells of greed.
Now the argument that its music and I'll pay for it later and you know i'm entitled is yours to have. But if someone took something I had worked on and showed it to you before I was ready I'd be pissed and no argument would change my mind. Sure if I had some cancer drug brewing and your grandma had cancer I'd understand but man this is art. Art doesn't deserve to be shafted.
silverfreepress (sdasher) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2006, 01:11 PM   #211
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
[quote=Hip Priest]It stuns me that anyone can say 'I really wanted it' or 'music distribution has changed' and use that as a justification for theft, or even as a justification for dismissing the wishes of a group who are so generous with their art (downloads, streaming, encouraging bootleg trading etc).
quote]

i won't dl it,even if i said "music distribution has changed"(more or less),so i didn't mean that it's a justification for theft,i meant that for many (MANY) guys downloading an album before it even gets released is considered "normal"...and i don't think they will change their mind/habits even if chabib explained sy's point of view clearly.peace!
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2006, 01:14 PM   #212
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
they prefer to be able to ***give*** these things to their fans within some sort of context and that they personally go out of their way to make that happen.

exactly and fair play to it!
that's why i'm "raging" over it (leaked stuff), that this happened, which is fact and i do not like, but it is a fact.

i'll wait. that's it. i'm quiet now.
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2006, 01:16 PM   #213
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
...i won't dl it,even if i said "music distribution has changed"(more or less),so i didn't mean that it's a justification for theft,i meant that for many (MANY) guys downloading an album before it even gets released is considered "normal"...and i don't think they will change their mind/habits even if chabib explained sy's point of view clearly.peace!

I wasn't suggesting you, but there have certainly been people earlier on in this thread who see that as a justification. I suspect they know how weak their lame argument is - would any of them stand in a court and use that defence hoping people to accept their reasoning? Or would they accept similar justifications as an excuse for someone stealing from them?

As I've said, I just find it worse when it's a band who are decent people and who actually make an effort to be generous to their fans. It's foul that they don't get respect in return. They even put two versions of 'Sleeping Around' on their website and we're allowed to hear some of the other songs via the Thurston solo show.

And even for other bands, there's so much unnofficial stuff floating around in the form of live shows, unreleased tracks etc that it's just bad form to have leaked this.

Presumably, the leak at some point came from someone either close to the band or working at some level with the band. I wonder if anyone knows who started it?

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2006, 01:20 PM   #214
silverfreepress (sdasher)
the destroyed room

silverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's asses
http://216.70.73.169/gossip/showthre...ghlight=ripped

Found it, here's the pic that was posted of the review copy (back) the link above is from the Rather Ripped Facts topic on this board

Just scroll down to #36
silverfreepress (sdasher) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2006, 01:38 PM   #215
chabib
Administrator

see. thanks. i guess they did indeed already send out promos. i didn't get one. i don't care. i'll hear it eventually.

i really don't understand what some people's rush is though.
Old 04.14.2006, 02:40 PM   #216
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
that has nothing to do with the fact that these leaked mp3's generally sound like absolute shit and make bands feel like the 6 months they spent in a studio making something might as well have never happened since what people are listening to might as well have been recorded into one of those greeting cards that you can sing happy birthday into.

yr logic is fucked.

ok chris so i have to ask you (forgive my socratic ways), would they be ok with it if it was a quality rip, like those files sold over e-music or itunes??

i for one wouldn't mind getting some free mp3s from this site, or a stream or something... you did a good job w/ the latest mixtape because ********I PLEAD THE FIFTH*******-- seriously, something like the mixtape w/ the new album tracks would be really cool.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2006, 02:44 PM   #217
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
R-E-S-P-E-C-T find out what it means to me.
Old 04.14.2006, 02:49 PM   #218
chabib
Administrator

i think they'd be okest if they were afforded the opportunity to directly control both the quality of source files and distribution. it being an imperfect world, we all know that's not entirely possible.

i just wish that everyone on the board and on other SY fan fora could have caught a few of my hints and accepted them before things got too far along. at this point, sleeping giants have been awakened and things are way out of my hands and the possibility of doing things in a civil, respectful fashion where personal accountability and ethics could have made a difference isn't really an option anymore.

i tried.
Old 04.14.2006, 03:02 PM   #219
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
i think they'd be okest if they were afforded the opportunity to directly control both the quality of source files and distribution. it being an imperfect world, we all know that's not entirely possible.

i just wish that everyone on the board and on other SY fan fora could have caught a few of my hints and accepted them before things got too far along. at this point, sleeping giants have been awakened and things are way out of my hands and the possibility of doing things in a civil, respectful fashion where personal accountability and ethics could have made a difference isn't really an option anymore.

i tried.

What do you mean, hints? I think the basic notion of respecting copyrights/artistic license was, if not already self-evident (as it should've been), pretty clearly stated.

I'm still appalled by some of the situations in which people on this forum were unclear on what was acceptable to pass around and what wasn't.
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2006, 03:05 PM   #220
chabib
Administrator

i dunno, but if i were one of the cavalier assholes sharing the files in any way shape or form, i'd seriously reconsider that decision.

i'd also likely be shitting myself if i was the twatwad who decided to rip and share one of the original watermarked promo discs.

it really has to suck to be stupid.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth