Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.16.2016, 09:53 AM   #19881
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
The code lasted until the late 60s but studios had been openly flaunting its rules for quite a few years before that. Saying that there are a couple of minor censor-imposed cuts to the shower scene.
i thought it was more of a 40s thing! thanks for that.

that shower scene is awesome but not just the shower stab itself, i mean, the way the camera roves post-kill over the corpse and then from her tight pupil and the drain is just amazing. AMAZING. eisenstein would be proud-- and though it's a continuity edit it's also a montage proper. fantastic, just... eye-gasm. most perverted of all, it's from a murder. ah, to be disturbed.

i wish i had the 24-hour psycho machine. maybe can make one with handbrake + VLC! i'll hang it on the wall... i'll project it on a sheet to see both sides

dat movie... oh damn.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2016, 10:38 AM   #19882
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i thought it was more of a 40s thing! thanks for that.

that shower scene is awesome but not just the shower stab itself, i mean, the way the camera roves post-kill over the corpse and then from her tight pupil and the drain is just amazing. AMAZING. eisenstein would be proud-- and though it's a continuity edit it's also a montage proper. fantastic, just... eye-gasm. most perverted of all, it's from a murder. ah, to be disturbed.

i wish i had the 24-hour psycho machine. maybe can make one with handbrake + VLC! i'll hang it on the wall... i'll project it on a sheet to see both sides

dat movie... oh damn.

You're identifying another common theme that connects Hitchcock to Spielberg here. The power of the "villain POV" shot. That scene in Psycho was rather unlike anything before it as far as I can remember, the "Shark-vision" scenes in Jaws have always reminded me of it. That and the redundant, throbbing score accompanying both scenes.

Maybe I'm wrong though and this didn't come from Hitchcock. Please correct me if that's the case.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2016, 10:43 AM   #19883
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
P.S. My favorite Hitchcock film is and always has been Rear Window. I'm not sure if this makes me some kinda pussy or what, but that film is damn near perfect in every way, and truly, undeniably terrifying. It taps into an entirely different kind of horror than Psycho or the Birds. A more complicated narrative also, as it grapples with the moral murkiness of privacy violation "for the greater good," an honest to God, real world horror that we still haven't learned any more about or come to terms with in any overarching societal way.

Rear Window > petty much everything
Old 11.16.2016, 10:49 AM   #19884
Severian
invito al cielo

And these were the last two movies I watched. No shit.
After T-Day, I couldn't stomach the thought of watching anything even remotely serious. I found escape in this shit. These movies are fun.

Old 11.16.2016, 12:23 PM   #19885
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
P.S. My favorite Hitchcock film is and always has been Rear Window. I'm not sure if this makes me some kinda pussy or what, but that film is damn near perfect in every way, and truly, undeniably terrifying. It taps into an entirely different kind of horror than Psycho or the Birds. A more complicated narrative also, as it grapples with the moral murkiness of privacy violation "for the greater good," an honest to God, real world horror that we still haven't learned any more about or come to terms with in any overarching societal way.

Rear Window > petty much everything

I'm of the opinion that Hitchcock was only at his best when he limited himself with locations etc. I'd quite happily go the rest of my life never seeing Vertigo (HOW that film was voted Sight and Sound's best film ever is beyond me), North by Northwest, The Man Who Knew Too Much etc. again.

The opposite is true for Rear Window, Rope and the like. Honestly, the films where he had free reign in the story to go wherever bore the hell out of me.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2016, 06:11 PM   #19886
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
I'm of the opinion that Hitchcock was only at his best when he limited himself with locations etc. I'd quite happily go the rest of my life never seeing Vertigo (HOW that film was voted Sight and Sound's best film ever is beyond me), North by Northwest, The Man Who Knew Too Much etc. again.

The opposite is true for Rear Window, Rope and the like. Honestly, the films where he had free reign in the story to go wherever bore the hell out of me.

I've never thought of it quite that way before, but I think you're right. In television, they call it a "bottleneck" episode when the entire thing takes place in one location, with only a handful of characters. These episodes are often revered, standing apart from the rest of the series (see Breaking Bad'a Emmy-winning "The Fly"). I think a lot of feature length films that use these strategies stand out as well. Like Rear Window, Wait Until Dark, etc., and I think part of this is because it kind of forces everyone involved to go to the limits of their comfort zones, and to bring nothing less than their A-game acting, directing, screenwriting. If they don't, the film won't hold anyone's attention.

Rear Window holds my attention. I've seen it more than any other Hitchcock film, and I'd watch it again right fucking now. Honestly I consider it one of my top 10 favorite films of all time, and have for as long as I can remember.
Old 11.17.2016, 03:27 AM   #19887
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
I'd quite happily go the rest of my life never seeing Vertigo (HOW that film was voted Sight and Sound's best film ever is beyond me)

Fair enough about it not being the best film ever, I mean, what is? I tend to think in that particular poll, critics were just desperate to find something that'd replace Citizen Kane as almost the default 'best ever'. As for whether Vertigo is even the best Hitchcock film is debatable. Saying that I do love it and I would say it's kind of the ultimate Hitchcock film, dealing with most of his obsessions. If someone who'd never seen a Hitchcock film asked me to recommend one that represented what he was all about, I'd give them Vertigo, even though my personal favourite is The Birds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
You're identifying another common theme that connects Hitchcock to Spielberg here. The power of the "villain POV" shot. That scene in Psycho was rather unlike anything before it as far as I can remember, the "Shark-vision" scenes in Jaws have always reminded me of it. That and the redundant, throbbing score accompanying both scenes.

Maybe I'm wrong though and this didn't come from Hitchcock. Please correct me if that's the case.

The musical score maybe but according to Spielberg himself the 'shark vision' stuff was inspired by underwater shots in Creature From the Black Lagoon, which was his fave movie as a kid.

Another bit of Spielberg/Black Lagoon trivia: in Duel, the sound when the truck finally falls off the cliff is that of the creature's roar, slowed down.

This'll all sound like I'm just trying to shoehorn CFtBL into every discussion but in the case of Spielberg, and Jaws in particular, it does have massive relevance.

Creature From the Black Lagoon

Jaws

demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.17.2016, 11:55 AM   #19888
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Fair enough about it not being the best film ever, I mean, what is? I tend to think in that particular poll, critics were just desperate to find something that'd replace Citizen Kane as almost the default 'best ever'. As for whether Vertigo is even the best Hitchcock film is debatable. Saying that I do love it and I would say it's kind of the ultimate Hitchcock film, dealing with most of his obsessions. If someone who'd never seen a Hitchcock film asked me to recommend one that represented what he was all about, I'd give them Vertigo, even though my personal favourite is The Birds.

The musical score maybe but according to Spielberg himself the 'shark vision' stuff was inspired by underwater shots in Creature From the Black Lagoon, which was his fave movie as a kid.

Another bit of Spielberg/Black Lagoon trivia: in Duel, the sound when the truck finally falls off the cliff is that of the creature's roar, slowed down.

This'll all sound like I'm just trying to shoehorn CFtBL into every discussion but in the case of Spielberg, and Jaws in particular, it does have massive relevance.

Ah! Creature From the Black Lagoon, of course. I knew you were going to say this before I even read this post. I remembered your previous mentions of this film just as I was scrolling down to see who said what most recently. You're right. Shark-vision was a total CFBL throwback.

I haven't seen that film in forever. Maybe it's time I revisit.
Old 11.17.2016, 12:36 PM   #19889
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Ah, it's always time to revisit Cftbl, even if you only saw it a few weeks ago
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.17.2016, 12:42 PM   #19890
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Ah, it's always time to revisit Cftbl, even if you only saw it a few weeks ago
haaa haaa haaa-- i've actually been thinking about it
Old 11.17.2016, 03:13 PM   #19891
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

then again, i think it's going to be THE BIRDS this weekend

because.. whattamovie!
Old 11.17.2016, 09:35 PM   #19892
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

thanks to you !@#!@$!s i've got REAR WINDOW and THE BIRDS lined up for *very soon*.

really looking forward to this. i think rear window was the first hitchcock i watched, in some remote 3rd world cineclub. ah fuck that was a nice place. also saw my 1st fassbinder there.
Old 11.17.2016, 09:36 PM   #19893
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Vertigo is my favorite.
Old 11.17.2016, 09:42 PM   #19894
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

oh i love vertigo too. i think i still have the VHS ha ha ha.

but the best screening of vertigo ever was at the uptown theatre in washington DC-- they had a humongous, curved screen, built to show 70mm movies

gaaaah that was... eyegasmic

waiting for 4k bluray because i'll never have fast internet again

eta: the uptown lives!! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uptown...hington,_D.C.).)
Old 11.17.2016, 10:58 PM   #19895
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
then again, i think it's going to be THE BIRDS this weekend

because.. whattamovie!

Yup. Beyond "creepy" or "spopky" or "suspenseful." That one is just plain unsettling and genuinely freaky as shit throughout.
Old 11.18.2016, 11:24 AM   #19896
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Recently:

The Legend of Billie Jean
St Elmo's Fire
Pretty in Pink
Breakfast Club
Pump Up the Volume
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.18.2016, 03:23 PM   #19897
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Continuing through the list: Aliens 3
Old 11.18.2016, 03:28 PM   #19898
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw2113
Continuing through the list: Aliens 3
prison rape planet alien was good i thought

haven't watched it in years but yeah. had its original elements. that whole XYY business. and roc was good in it.

am i the only one who didn't like 2? alienZ or whatever?
Old 11.18.2016, 03:43 PM   #19899
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
^you defend 3 but don't like Aliens? What?

Alien 2 is an actual movie. An Italian unofficial sequel. Full title is Alien 2: On Earth.

I'm a huge Alien/Predator fan and in the past year I convinced my wife to watch all of the Alien & Predator movies in release order. It was awesome. My short thing I'll say is that I *like* all the movies a lot. Or rather, I love most of them, and I like a lot the ones that most people hate. I just love the franchises in general.
Old 11.18.2016, 03:53 PM   #19900
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

well i'm not a huge cameron fan. he's a technical genius, but... i don't know. it's hit or miss with him. have you seen avatar? unfuckingwachable (for me anyway). my mind vomited afterwards.

so right now i can't recall much of aliens except... winona? and some flamthrowers in a base? i forget, just... zero impression, just-- fucking trite.

alien, the riddley scott one, was genius.

with 3 i didn't expect a lot, but the whole supermacho prison angle and ripley always in danger of being gangraped made it thematically interesting. know what i mean? it wasn't about monsters in space, it was a rape movie about rape terror. and that-- it did well. even the monster looked like a pecker. "i want you to have my babies".

what was aliens about? like "really" about? i used to like winona though. was she in it or am i dreaming it?
895945985992993994 995 996997998100510451095 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth