Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.14.2017, 07:28 AM   #21141
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
The problem with 300 million dollar movies is that they suck up a lot of oxygen and resources. Other, smaller (better?) films don't get made.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2017, 07:44 AM   #21142
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
sure superhero movies are generally dumb, but some are a decent spectacle for some reason or another, and it irks me to hear them discussed as art masterpieces which they clearly aren't. they're dumb, cheesy, ridiculous, and often intolerable. like rollercoasters and funnel cakes, they can be fun but make you wanna vomit.

in the case of wonder woman, don't go watch it as a "serious film," which would be absurd and a disappointment. go watch it instead so you can stare at the magnificence that is gal gadot, and bask in her glory.

you know you wanna.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2017, 07:45 AM   #21143
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Sure, but at the dollar theater. Don't pay full price. Just encourages them.
Old 06.14.2017, 08:02 AM   #21144
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
The problem with 300 million dollar movies is that they suck up a lot of oxygen and resources. Other, smaller (better?) films don't get made.

do you honestly feel like there's a shortage of non-superhero films right now?

I'm not being a dick. I'm seriously asking.
Old 06.14.2017, 08:13 AM   #21145
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
do you honestly feel like there's a shortage of non-superhero films right now?

I'm not being a dick. I'm seriously asking.
there's a lack of smaller, well-written movies that take more risks, hell the fuck yeah. i mean. where does one begin. the state of the film industry is quite dismal. yes, honestly, there's a huge shortage of good movies for grownups.

the good writing is gone mostly to TV these days. i find myself watching more Tv and ignoring "film" as of late because it's mostly shit, and has little to offer outside of pure spectacle.
Old 06.14.2017, 08:19 AM   #21146
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Watched Doctor Strange yesterday after having 4 cavities repaired and two wisdom teeth pulled. it was a fun flick.
Old 06.14.2017, 08:31 AM   #21147
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I don't know. There's plenty of stuff out there that I have no interest in. Those Pirates movies come to mind. And I'm sure I could view them as rammed down my fucking throat. But I just take a queue from Paul Anka, and just don't look.

Easier said than done. It's on here, it's on my Facebook feed, it's in the magazines you read, it's in the adverts that are EVERYWHERE.

To ignore something like Kim Kardashian is easy. Just avoid the rag newspapers and the tv show there you go. Comic book movies are able different thing altogether.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2017, 08:31 AM   #21148
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
there's a lack of smaller, well-written movies that take more risks, hell the fuck yeah. i mean. where does one begin. the state of the film industry is quite dismal. yes, honestly, there's a huge shortage of good movies for grownups.

the good writing is gone mostly to TV these days. i find myself watching more Tv and ignoring "film" as of late because it's mostly shit, and has little to offer outside of pure spectacle.

On average, I watch 30 mins of TV during dinner; binge-watch a TV show w/ wife on Friday night; one or two movies w/ wife on Saturday night; and MAYBE watch a show or movie on my own a night or two during the week. But that's rare. Movies and TV are lower on my list of hobbies and come after video games and comic books.

SO... maybe I don't know as much about the landscape of films.

But I guess I just don't see that smaller high-risk movies would get made more if like, Marvel stopped making movies. And I feel like I've seen some really well done awesome shit that wasn't about superheroes recently. Arrival was amazing for instance. Thought provoking. Well written. Is that not "small" enough or "high risk" enough? (again, not condescending - seriously clarifying).

I guess again - I just don't really see that superhero movies are really blocking the films from existing the you guys are claiming they are. Maybe I'm totally wrong. My brain just doesn't really see it that way. If you're really looking for small high-risk movies, I don't think WB is making those no matter what the Justice League is up to. Y'know?
Old 06.14.2017, 08:35 AM   #21149
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

This pretty much.

Now I'm not looking at the previous decades with rose tinted glasses cos there's shit no matter what decade you look at. However, where are the young Scorceses, Coppolas, Ashbys? Studios aren't gonna take risks on mid-range priced films that are something different. And they're sure as hell not gonna put the money like they do for Batman to advertise them.

Put it this way, can you imagine The Godfather being made today? No fucking way.

Old 06.14.2017, 08:36 AM   #21150
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I mostly agree. But, a couple of things come to mind. One is that there are still an awful lot of great movies being made in other countries besides the US. I know the big $ is being spent on filmmaking here, but still, there's some awfully good stuff out there, much more than in the past. And, regarding TV, there's a lot of abysmal crap on besides the few genuinely good things.
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2017, 08:39 AM   #21151
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Quote:
On average, I watch 30 mins of TV during dinner; binge-watch a TV show w/ wife on Friday night; one or two movies w/ wife on Saturday night; and MAYBE watch a show or movie on my own a night or two during the week. But that's rare. Movies and TV are lower on my list of hobbies and come after video games and comic books.

SO... maybe I don't know as much about the landscape of films.

But I guess I just don't see that smaller high-risk movies would get made more if like, Marvel stopped making movies. And I feel like I've seen some really well done awesome shit that wasn't about superheroes recently. Arrival was amazing for instance. Thought provoking. Well written. Is that not "small" enough or "high risk" enough? (again, not condescending - seriously clarifying).

I guess again - I just don't really see that superhero movies are really blocking the films from existing the you guys are claiming they are. Maybe I'm totally wrong. My brain just doesn't really see it that way. If you're really looking for small high-risk movies, I don't think WB is making those no matter what the Justice League is up to. Y'know?

They really are. Can you think of a period where film studios were so reliant on sequels, remakes and the rest than now?

It used to be sequels were diminishing returns for studios. From the horror movies like Nightmare on elm Street, even to the Superman films. Now they push three-all sequels so much and they make money why WOULD they try and make these other odd films?

All studios care about is is opening weekends and the film making a profit. Quality is dead to them.

Old 06.14.2017, 08:44 AM   #21152
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Easier said than done. It's on here, it's on my Facebook feed, it's in the magazines you read, it's in the adverts that are EVERYWHERE.

To ignore something like Kim Kardashian is easy. Just avoid the rag newspapers and the tv show there you go. Comic book movies are able different thing altogether.

I see you're problem - you're on FB!
Old 06.14.2017, 08:45 AM   #21153
evollove
invito al cielo

For some reason I'm thinking of ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF A SPOTLESS MIND. I saw it in a big theater in a small town. That was just a few years ago. I seriously doubt that would happen today.
Old 06.14.2017, 08:46 AM   #21154
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
They really are. Can you think of a period where film studios were so reliant on sequels, remakes and the rest than now?

It used to be sequels were diminishing returns for studios. From the horror movies like Nightmare on elm Street, even to the Superman films. Now they push three-all sequels so much and they make money why WOULD they try and make these other odd films?

All studios care about is is opening weekends and the film making a profit. Quality is dead to them.

I think that's a statement you could make about the film industry period. I don't see that it's because of superhero films. Any genre.
Old 06.14.2017, 08:56 AM   #21155
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Quote:
I think that's a statement you could make about the film industry period. I don't see that it's because of superhero films. Any genre.

But you can't deny that the success of the marvel films has caused other studios to look at them and want that level of money coming in. The idea of a "universe" is appealing cos the money can be phenomenal.

Whether it be the DC films, and now there's the monster universe with The Mummy and the rest of them coming in. That's three of the what four major studios out there?

Old 06.14.2017, 08:59 AM   #21156
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Hollywood film industry is not concerned with whether americans love the films. there are like 300 million americans and not all of them go to movies. There are over a a billion Indians, and over a billion Chinese, and hundreds of millions of them go watch these hollywood action films.
Old 06.14.2017, 09:02 AM   #21157
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
But you can't deny that the success of the marvel films has caused other studios to look at them and want that level of money coming in. The idea of a "universe" is appealing cos the money can be phenomenal.

Whether it be the DC films, and now there's the monster universe with The Mummy and the rest of them coming in. That's three of the what four major studios out there?

Yes. The whole movie universe thing was no doubt something that other studios saw Marvel doing successfully and wanted to emulate. But if Marvel stopped making superhero movies, those otehr studios would still do this.

If Marvel and DC and Hasbro and etc all stopped making superhero movies, then other genres from other studios (IE: The Mummy) would still do this.

So, superhero movies dying in a fire would not actually fix what is bother you.

I win. Haha.
Old 06.14.2017, 09:03 AM   #21158
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I would rather watch superhero movies than movies where normal humans are supposed to do impossible things
Old 06.14.2017, 09:06 AM   #21159
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

well yes you can't blame superhero movies for the ongoing infantilization of adult life and tastes

this is a transgenerational thing. baby boomers wanted to be forever 21, gen-xers embraced the adult cartoon, and milennials want to stay as preteens for life

it's economics/history/the decline of western civilization or whatever

i blame christianity. and breakfast cereals. and helicopter parents.

--

not really. i think it's economics, in the end.
Old 06.14.2017, 09:12 AM   #21160
noisereductions
invito al cielo

now you're making me feel bad about myself, symbols. Thanks.
55895810081048105510561057 1058 105910601061106811081158 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth