Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Record Store Day 2014 (April 19)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.01.2014, 03:45 PM   #21
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I just wish it wasn't all treated like we are buying some rare boutique items.

They never list prices until you get to the record store. That Dinosaur/Cure split will likely be $15-$20 for 2 songs, which I already own both versions, original and cover, on vinyl which I found at a record convention for $5 each.

It is a cool idea, and I LOVE record stores, but RSD does not mean people browse the record stores, which is like the whole fucking purpose right? People just buy what they choose off a list, some fuck takes it out of boxes and hands it to you, then you leave after paying at least double what it is worth.. I would say that describes 90% of everyone I see at RSD events.
One of the reasons for this is people buying these limited editions, re-presses etc to sell them to some clueless idiot on Ebay or Discogs. That's another story. I can imagine a lot of people end up with records they assume, wrongly, to be worth much more than they do in a few months' time. Hardly the original RSD idea, is it?
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2014, 04:04 PM   #22
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I am gonna go browse the local houston record stores this weekend and give them my hard earned money before RSD!

http://www.soundexchangehouston.com/

http://www.vinaledge.com/

http://blackdogrecordstx.com/

http://screweduprecords.com/

This place is in Stafford, and open only on the 1st Sat of each month.

8. BOB RICHERSON'S WAREHOUSE
Okay, so this is technically in Stafford and it's also technically not a record shop. But Bob's warehouse is a manifestation of a digger's dream. A former record-convention organizer -- and a longtime attendee as a dealer before that -- Richerson retired after being diagnosed with throat cancer. He opens up his 3,000-square-foot warehouse on the first Saturday of the month, making his literally hundreds of thousands of pieces available to customers. There's no Web site, but a quick Craigslist search for "Stafford records" will turn up his ad fairly fast. A longtime associate of Huey Meaux, Bob was given the opportunity to buy up the Crazy Cajun catalog when Meaux was arrested. His collectible Beatles and Elvis sections also run quite deep, and there's some other memorabilia scattered among the rooms that are stacked to the ceiling with records.
Oh, and Bob's always got free coffee, Cokes, water and doughnuts on hand for his loyal customers. Be sure to bring cash, though.
335 Staffordshire 4-A, Stafford
Old 04.01.2014, 04:07 PM   #23
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I have not been here though
www.heightsvinyl.com
Old 04.01.2014, 04:20 PM   #24
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I am gonna go browse the local houston record stores this weekend and give them my hard earned money before RSD!

http://www.soundexchangehouston.com/

http://www.vinaledge.com/

http://blackdogrecordstx.com/

http://screweduprecords.com/

This place is in Stafford, and open only on the 1st Sat of each month.

8. BOB RICHERSON'S WAREHOUSE
Okay, so this is technically in Stafford and it's also technically not a record shop. But Bob's warehouse is a manifestation of a digger's dream. A former record-convention organizer -- and a longtime attendee as a dealer before that -- Richerson retired after being diagnosed with throat cancer. He opens up his 3,000-square-foot warehouse on the first Saturday of the month, making his literally hundreds of thousands of pieces available to customers. There's no Web site, but a quick Craigslist search for "Stafford records" will turn up his ad fairly fast. A longtime associate of Huey Meaux, Bob was given the opportunity to buy up the Crazy Cajun catalog when Meaux was arrested. His collectible Beatles and Elvis sections also run quite deep, and there's some other memorabilia scattered among the rooms that are stacked to the ceiling with records.
Oh, and Bob's always got free coffee, Cokes, water and doughnuts on hand for his loyal customers. Be sure to bring cash, though.
335 Staffordshire 4-A, Stafford
That place looks amazing.
Old 04.01.2014, 04:27 PM   #25
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
Wow, I could spend weeks wading through that lot!
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2014, 04:27 PM   #26
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
to those who care, I read today that the new Pixies album will be pre-released on RSD, in a limited special edition

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2014, 08:22 AM   #27
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Thurston Moore said the Pixies are boring college rock
Old 04.02.2014, 03:57 PM   #28
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Yet they recorded with one of them...

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2014, 04:01 PM   #29
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Thurston was NOT in that video! and anyone can do a voice over through a phone line! Just stating T's thoughts. I love the Pixies.
Old 04.02.2014, 04:19 PM   #30
halgreen
stalker

halgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asses
I'm excited for Numero's Dinosaur Jr. Single reissues, Sun Ra, and Jason Pierce/Kid Millions. Hopefully these things aren't too expensive.
halgreen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2014, 04:51 PM   #31
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by halgreen
[...] and Jason Pierce/Kid Millions [...]

That's one of my must-haves, as I mentioned, and he happens to have another track for RSD, this time on the various artists Space Project compilation...

http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/7022
http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/7023
http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/6899

...on which he took part because he's "flat broke", apparently!

http://www.nme.com/news/spiritualized/76469

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 04.02.2014, 06:53 PM   #32
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Thurston Moore thinks the world needs to hear Chelsea Light Moving
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2014, 07:00 PM   #33
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:

I can't remember which magazine, and it's a long time ago since I read it. He said that both the Pixies and The Cure are terrible. At that time The Cure were going to play some shows at Madison Square Garden, if I'm remembering it right. I like the Pixies myself but they are no Sonic Youth for sure.
Old 04.02.2014, 07:05 PM   #34
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Kim Deal is fantastic and the only talented person in the Pixies. It's no wonder she got to sing on a Sonic Youth record.
Old 04.02.2014, 08:05 PM   #35
an evening with viewtiful
bad moon rising

an evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's asses
My biggest pet peeve about RSD (aside from its inaccesability to the average consumer and its complete neglect of those without turntables) is how many utterly wasteful, unwanted releases they crank out for it.
Crap like Katy Perry 10" records or 7" reissues of singles that no one asked for... all way overpriced. It's depressing how much RSD runoff winds up sitting around the record store for what seems like years because no one wanted it in the first place.
an evening with viewtiful is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2014, 08:07 PM   #36
an evening with viewtiful
bad moon rising

an evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I have not been here though
www.heightsvinyl.com
I hear it's a tad bit overpriced and mostly geared towards the Urban Outfitters crowd.
an evening with viewtiful is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2014, 01:04 PM   #37
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
We're all a little sad there will be no J&R Music World this year. They gutted their music and video staff and have pretty much gotten rid of all of it. Its the end of an era as we move into the total control digital economy. The music industry is planning on getting drunk and coked out again on streaming, their plan to make you pay for each time you listen to a song. Those of us who walk upright will continue to buy our records as long as we can.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2014, 06:05 PM   #38
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
...on which he took part because he's "flat broke", apparently!

http://www.nme.com/news/spiritualized/76469

Or not: https://twitter.com/officialSpzd/sta.../photo/1/large

Old 04.07.2014, 08:59 AM   #39
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by an evening with viewtiful
My biggest pet peeve about RSD (aside from its inaccesability to the average consumer and its complete neglect of those without turntables) is how many utterly wasteful, unwanted releases they crank out for it.
Crap like Katy Perry 10" records or 7" reissues of singles that no one asked for... all way overpriced. It's depressing how much RSD runoff winds up sitting around the record store for what seems like years because no one wanted it in the first place.

Indeed. I still see sealed crap from RSD that NO ONE wants
Old 04.21.2014, 04:25 PM   #40
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
I'd have to say my two picks are Chris Forsyth & The Solar Motel Band's Solar Live 11.15.13 and J Spaceman & Kid Millions' Live at La Poisson Lounge. Murphy's Law dictated, of course, that the former should belong to the "Limited Run / Regional Focus Release" category, which means I'll be lucky if I find it on eBay or Discogs as my plastic money dissolves into the ether...

Well, I managed to get 'em both. Oddly enough, Solar Live 11.15.13 cost me about a third of the amount I paid for the Spaceman 12". Such is the capitalist reality within the Interhole, huh.

By the by, Chris Forsyth & The Solar Motel band will be opening for Lee & The Dust this Thursday, April the 24th, at the Union Pool in Brooklyn, NY. Hopefully both sets will be taped-and-shared, and it'd be mighty BITCHEN if they did a number or two together! HOO-WAH!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth