Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page takashi miike...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.01.2008, 11:37 PM   #1
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
ive been watching way too much miike films as of late, and i myself am beginning to feel as depraved and paranoid as the charachters that live in his films. just today i watched ichi the killer, and just finished the audition (this movie makes me more terrified of blind dates that i had already been in the past), im now gonna get the weed and junk food ready and watch the dead or alive trilogy all night. on that note whatre your favorite miike films?
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.02.2008, 04:42 AM   #2
Phlegmscope
expwy. to yr skull

Phlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's asses
I'd love to see visitor q and Izo. Dead or alive trilogy was pretty funny.
Last movie of his I saw was Deadly outlaw: rekka, but I don't remember much of it, except that its soundtrack consisted of Flower Travellin' Band's album Satori.

Ichi the Killer and Audition are both brilliant.
Phlegmscope is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.02.2008, 07:47 AM   #3
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I've seen every single one of his films released in America and a few not yet released here. He's a good director.

Top 10 Miike films!:

1. Izo
2. Happiness of the Katakuris
3. Visitor Q
4. Dead or Alive 2
5. City of Lost Souls
6. Fudoh
7. "Box" segment from 3... Extremes
8. Zebraman
9. Great Yokai War
10. Deadly Outlaw Reekah

Bottom 5?
1. Bodyguard Chiba 2
2. Imprint
3. DoA 3
4. Andromedia
5. One Missed Call

It seems like his films are getting better all the time... I'm not a big fan of some stuff like Audition (boring), Gozu (goes nowhere), etc. but obviously Ichi the Killer is good. I think his films are usually too long though. The last film I saw was Family/Family 2, which were great. Tanks and foot sex and stuff.

Anyway, for something better: Tsukamoto is amazing, check out any of his films except Goblin.. or check out Fukui's Pinnochio 964, easily one of my favorite films ever... More obvious Asian shit to check out: Wild Zero, Electric Dragon 80000v, Junk, Stacy, Biozombie, Meatball Machine, SARS Wars, Battle Royale (but not the AWFUL sequel), etc...

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.02.2008, 10:36 AM   #4
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
o dude audition was great, when miike first showed it at some film festival a woman went up to him and said, "youre evilllll", great stuff.
Old 02.02.2008, 01:06 PM   #5
batreleaser
invito al cielo

well, just finished the DOA marathon and i feel like death. me and my roomate are now going to drink some codeine promethazine cough syrup that he had, put on spacemen 3, maybe some acid mothers temple, maybe some eno ambient stuff, maybe even some stravinsky, bliss the fuck out, then pass the fuck out. good night.
Old 02.02.2008, 03:16 PM   #6
amyvega
bad moon rising

amyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's asses
audition is the best imo. that one scene w/the dude in the burlap sack...
amyvega is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.02.2008, 04:16 PM   #7
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
...Battle Royale (but not the AWFUL sequel), etc...

i bought it last week!!! $50 pesos (like around $5 dollars), one of my faaaaaavorite movies.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.11.2010, 05:04 AM   #8
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Still hate Audition. It just drags on and on. It's a film that's all about the payoff. But I'm not a big fan of films like that. I like films that can be watched over and over. Occasionally, a decent atmosphere reminds me of fondly of Kiyoshi Kurosawa (who does atmospheric horror like no one's business), but yeah. Audition blows in the context of some of his better stuff. I did rewatch Gozu though, and while it's a go nowhere mess of a film that people call "Lynch-like!" because there's a television with static in it... it does have some good scenes.

Miike is a huge hack, but he has some decent stuff. I think he's a good director, sometimes great, usually competent. Obviously, if you're into "Asian films", he's a horrible place to start, and sadly, the only director most people have bothered checking out (maybe not so much anymore -- that market is dead! Miike doesn't even seem to have fans anymore!). Try Kitano, Sogo Ishii, Seijin Suzuki, Shuji Terayama, Toshio Matsumoto, or anyone from my original list...! Japanese underground/experimental/obscure cinema is probably the best stuff ever, stuff like JUNK FOOD and NOISY REQUIEM are some of my all time favs... unfortunately a lot of the better stuff is still a bit hard to find, even on the internet...

I've been checking out the newer Miike stuff, like Crows Zero and Scars of the Sun. Not a huge fan, though his Yatterman reimagining was alright. Since I'm a wee bit older and wiser, I can say that my original "Top 10" list was right on, except I think his defining work is either the long version of Agitator, The Black Society Trilogy as a whole, or Bird People of China. But I still don't know where to place those in a context of a "top 10" right now, so I'll stick by my original ruling. I'd probably put BIG BANG LOVE JUVENILE A somewhere in the top 10 too.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth