Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Lee Reflects On The Grateful Dead
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.15.2015, 01:53 AM   #1
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.glidemagazine.com/131485/...o-sonic-youth/
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2015, 04:45 AM   #2
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
Thank you, Moshe.
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2015, 01:42 PM   #3
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Two of my favs thanks for posting moshe..

A great read me and lee always talk about the dead, glad he has more time to reflect on this as he works on that dead tribute album..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2015, 02:14 PM   #4
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Grateful Dead suck. Get over it Such Lee.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2015, 03:11 PM   #5
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Genteel you talkin out your ass.. call us when you band survives 50 years

Old 03.15.2015, 04:24 PM   #6
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
Having only come to appreciate the Dead for what they were in recent years, I have been intrigued by Lee's formative Dead fandom and how that informed his SY input. The main connection to SY music I see is the loose approach to song-forms, with structured composed sections breaking down into unstructured loose sections which may or may not return to the composed section, or can veer off into extended collective improv. The seamless transition from studio recording to live recording on Karen Revisited seems like a sly reference to Anthem Of The Sun. I wasn't sure what era he experienced, cool to hear that it was relatively early (my fave too), & especially that he was at Watkins Glenn in '73. Somewhat cautious but still looking forward to hearing the indie-Dead tribute when it comes out.

As to whether the Dead suck or not, it is complicated. I would say there were times they were incredibly good, and others when they did suck ass. It helps to be a fan of folk, folk-rock, psychedelic-folk-rock, psychedelia, country-rock, the classic rock era, and jazz fusion in general to appreciate them. Music fans strictly into punk (proto & post inclusive), skronk, avant improv*, industrial, etc... will not find much to love. There is/are listless stoned noodling, very bad vocals, cheezy guitar synths, cheezy keyboard sounds, and some mediocre songs to be found at various points within their catalog. Their itinerant fanbase did a lot to turn many people off to their music without hearing much of it. I did not like their long improvised jams much until I got into jazz first, and a bit later jazz fusion (the good bits!), and only then came to understand them as a folk-rock band approaching jazz-fusion from the rock side of the fence. Their slow ballad songs walk a fine line between harnessing a slow-burning deep intensity (on a good night and/or decade), or lifeless meh (on a bad night and/or decade); probably also dependent on the listeners moods, tastes and perceptions. I still don't like all their material or eras, but have found a lot that I do like.

*there is a strain of avant electro-acoustic improv within their broad pallete, but you probably don't want to hear me go on about it...
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2015, 04:56 PM   #7
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Its very simple and even lee touched on it. Dead records can be dull and a let down.. its their live music that is their best. To discover what makes the Dead great you need to listen to their live records, the bootleg recordings (soundboard only), and live DVDs like View From thr Vault. It especially helps if like some of us you are able to attend a Dead show in person.

Old 03.15.2015, 10:07 PM   #8
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Genteel you talkin out your ass.. call us when you band survives 50 years

I don't have a band.
Old 03.15.2015, 10:08 PM   #9
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Gee with that rosy attitude I wonder why

Old 03.15.2015, 10:11 PM   #10
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Old 03.15.2015, 10:12 PM   #11
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I It especially helps if like some of us you are able to attend a Dead show in person.

i went to a few dead shows back in the day. they smelled like pee and patchouli. good times nevertheless.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.16.2015, 08:23 AM   #12
Lee is Free
Administrator

Lee is Free kicks all y'all's assesLee is Free kicks all y'all's assesLee is Free kicks all y'all's assesLee is Free kicks all y'all's assesLee is Free kicks all y'all's assesLee is Free kicks all y'all's assesLee is Free kicks all y'all's assesLee is Free kicks all y'all's assesLee is Free kicks all y'all's assesLee is Free kicks all y'all's assesLee is Free kicks all y'all's asses
Very succinct, Hirsute. Yes lots of both good and bad I their catalog-both live and record. This tribute album-from what I heard-gonna knock folks out with how good so many of their songs were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirsute_biped
Having only come to appreciate the Dead for what they were in recent years, I have been intrigued by Lee's formative Dead fandom and how that informed his SY input. The main connection to SY music I see is the loose approach to song-forms, with structured composed sections breaking down into unstructured loose sections which may or may not return to the composed section, or can veer off into extended collective improv. The seamless transition from studio recording to live recording on Karen Revisited seems like a sly reference to Anthem Of The Sun. I wasn't sure what era he experienced, cool to hear that it was relatively early (my fave too), & especially that he was at Watkins Glenn in '73. Somewhat cautious but still looking forward to hearing the indie-Dead tribute when it comes out.

As to whether the Dead suck or not, it is complicated. I would say there were times they were incredibly good, and others when they did suck ass. It helps to be a fan of folk, folk-rock, psychedelic-folk-rock, psychedelia, country-rock, the classic rock era, and jazz fusion in general to appreciate them. Music fans strictly into punk (proto & post inclusive), skronk, avant improv*, industrial, etc... will not find much to love. There is/are listless stoned noodling, very bad vocals, cheezy guitar synths, cheezy keyboard sounds, and some mediocre songs to be found at various points within their catalog. Their itinerant fanbase did a lot to turn many people off to their music without hearing much of it. I did not like their long improvised jams much until I got into jazz first, and a bit later jazz fusion (the good bits!), and only then came to understand them as a folk-rock band approaching jazz-fusion from the rock side of the fence. Their slow ballad songs walk a fine line between harnessing a slow-burning deep intensity (on a good night and/or decade), or lifeless meh (on a bad night and/or decade); probably also dependent on the listeners moods, tastes and perceptions. I still don't like all their material or eras, but have found a lot that I do like.
Lee is Free is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.16.2015, 10:06 AM   #13
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee is Free
Very succinct, Hirsute. Yes lots of both good and bad I their catalog-both live and record. This tribute album-from what I heard-gonna knock folks out with how good so many of their songs were.

Looking forward to it, and to seeing the Dust again on the west coast whenever that happens next, though sadly likely not in serial fashion via sweaty campervan.

Cheers!

here was our other thread on the subject with the same usual suspects going at it:
http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/sho...d.php?t=111305
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.18.2015, 04:59 PM   #14
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe

thanks!

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.18.2015, 11:44 PM   #15
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Folks wonder why we still post here its because at least once a year LeeIsFree randomly posts on threads.. i remember when he called me out for something that i can't remember.. good times

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth