Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Two songs from Polvo's In Prism...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.14.2009, 08:18 AM   #21
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
If anyone wants it, lemme know and i'll pm you a link. Don't feel like getting bitched at for putting a link on here to it, and the people who would ask me for it would go through other means to get it anyway, so I'll just be happy to provide the easiest way of getting it. Through me.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2009, 10:00 PM   #22
kierkegaarden
children of satan

kierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Good album. Has GREAT moments. Some not so much. I dunno. Didn't make a huge impression on me but it's better than Shapes, at least!

I hoped only that the album would be consistent with 'Beggar's Bowl'.

Much of the album drags in a middle-aged way, but a few songs feel driven by some mature musical reflection.

But yeah, it didn't do to me what Cor-Crane did to me.
kierkegaarden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2009, 11:09 PM   #23
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Would I be a heretic if I said I liked Shapes better?

Would I be a heretic if I said I thought Shapes was a good album? It's no masterpiece, but I like all of the songs on it. Yes, even Downtown Dedication in all of its bluesiness.

I don't see what the problem is with Shapes. It's no Exploded Drawing, Today's Active Lifestyles, Cor-Crane Secret, or Celebrate the New Dark Age, but it is still a very very good album.

It's not to them what Terror Twilight is to Pavement.

Although I'm thinking the reason that some of you guys hate Shapes is the same reason I'm hating In Prism. Just not what I was expecting at all. Maybe because I didn't think Shapes was all that bad or that big of a departure I had more narrow expectations, and since some of you think that Shapes was a huge departure you were more ready for anything.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2009, 11:11 PM   #24
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
A heretic? No.

A hexen? Yes.

Old 08.14.2009, 11:34 PM   #25
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
ouch
Old 08.14.2009, 11:35 PM   #26
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Shapes sounds like a Polvo tribute band, with Jimi Hendrix tribute riffs.

Old 08.15.2009, 12:27 AM   #27
ricechex
the destroyed room

ricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
Would I be a heretic if I said I liked Shapes better?

Would I be a heretic if I said I thought Shapes was a good album?

Not at all. i like em' all, not equally of course.

I guess its natural for people to compare In Prism to their favorite Polvo record, but i think it should be listened to on its own merits, considering its over a decade since the last one.

It reminds me of Murray Street in a way bc its a little more naturally flowing and less experimental for the sake of it. I always thought of Murray as a start of a new era for SY and maybe this is too for an aged Polvo. I hope it is the beginning of a lot more Polvo albums!

ricechex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.15.2009, 12:53 AM   #28
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

What's hard to swallow is that while it has some great fucking moments, it lacks a few things that led Polvo to becoming one of my favorite bands in the first place. It's far less rock and pop oriented than their other stuff. (The combination of pop hooks, driving rock rhythms, and guitar weirdness is what sucked me in.)

I think in time I'll grow to like it on its own merits though, as you said.
Old 08.15.2009, 01:03 AM   #29
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

It certainly doesn't sound twisted enough for my tastes. It's still a good album. I don't want to let my expectations cloud the fact that it's still a really written album. At least one of the guitars sounds completely in standard tuning throughout the whole thing. Not a bad thing, but certainly not what I listen to Polvo for, usually. (that was kinda my criticms with Shapes -- it was too normal! They're good songwriters, no matter what, but the bent/twisted/fucked-up quality of their music is what makes it appealing to me)

Old 08.15.2009, 01:39 AM   #30
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

It probably doesn't help that my right ear has been plugged up for the last few days, kind of dampering my musical enjoyment.

On some more listening Lucia and A Link in the Chain are definitely the best songs on the album.

I think it's just a different style of songwriting to be appreciated. A Link in the Chain is actually very Floydish (Echoes)
Old 08.15.2009, 12:39 PM   #31
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
I've listened to the album a few times, and it does have its highlights.

My problems with it lie in the production; Where's the bass? Sounds too produced, and not as raw as what Polvo usually (Not to mention should) sound like. The arrangements, while solid, aren't what we've come to expect from them, but hey, this is their first record in a while, let's cut 'em some slack and hope they do another record where they get their sound down again. All in all a fairly good record, if nothing mind blowing like what their other records were (Outside of Shapes).

~Jeremy~

Jeremy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.15.2009, 01:30 PM   #32
auto-aim
the destroyed room

auto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's asses
I have to agree - it's a little disapointing so far (i'll give it a few more goes) i'm also one of the few that kind of likes Shapes but it's strange though just how straightforward and layed back most of it is. and the moments it has are a bit too few and far between. I dont know.. might be being a bit harsh at this point. I think there's still 3 or 4 things i really like on it and i hope they keep going. but i'm really not sure on some of it.

His Naked Torso
auto-aim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.15.2009, 11:04 PM   #33
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I dunno, I'm usually pretty harsh on here compared to most people but I'm actually digging this new record. Surprised me how good a lot of it is.

Old 08.16.2009, 01:25 PM   #34
ricechex
the destroyed room

ricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's asses
What i like about too is that I can play it pretty much straight through and it holds my interest. There may be one or two that are eh, but it's still enjoyable to let the whole thing play.

ricechex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2009, 10:15 AM   #35
Mrs. Butcher
bad moon rising

Mrs. Butcher kicks all y'all's assesMrs. Butcher kicks all y'all's assesMrs. Butcher kicks all y'all's assesMrs. Butcher kicks all y'all's assesMrs. Butcher kicks all y'all's assesMrs. Butcher kicks all y'all's assesMrs. Butcher kicks all y'all's assesMrs. Butcher kicks all y'all's assesMrs. Butcher kicks all y'all's assesMrs. Butcher kicks all y'all's assesMrs. Butcher kicks all y'all's asses
first song sounds like a stop-start dinosaur jr.
Mrs. Butcher is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2009, 11:11 AM   #36
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
first track off the album is possibly woeful...the est is ok with smatterings of brilliance..overall id give it a tin of tuna over a vingeary bag of chips(sorry french fries) rather than a old kettle which electrocutes you everytime you try and make tea...but not green tea...that shit will fry your brain.....
Old 08.18.2009, 09:31 AM   #37
westernquinoxrox
bad moon rising

westernquinoxrox kicks all y'all's asseswesternquinoxrox kicks all y'all's asseswesternquinoxrox kicks all y'all's asseswesternquinoxrox kicks all y'all's asseswesternquinoxrox kicks all y'all's asseswesternquinoxrox kicks all y'all's asseswesternquinoxrox kicks all y'all's asseswesternquinoxrox kicks all y'all's asseswesternquinoxrox kicks all y'all's asseswesternquinoxrox kicks all y'all's asseswesternquinoxrox kicks all y'all's asses
no defense
but why do people still care about shitty bands from 1973
they reformed cuz they needed the money
not cuz the muzak is good
fuck them

westernquinoxrox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.18.2009, 09:39 AM   #38
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
It's surprisingly good to my ears.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.18.2009, 12:36 PM   #39
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by westernquinoxrox
no defense
but why do people still care about shitty bands from 1973
they reformed cuz they needed the money
not cuz the muzak is good
fuck them

Yes, since every band who ever reformed to release new music was definitely tanking it in, they most certainly had no interest what so ever making music that was enjoyable so their fans would respect it, not to mention maybe make money off of it. It was ALL for the money, without a doubt.

Moron. Have you ever heard their stuff? Calling them a "shitty band" probably tips us off that you haven't.

~Jeremy~

Jeremy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.26.2009, 03:27 AM   #40
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
i just got the first neg rep ever. from westernquinoxrox.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth