Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page The Eternal thread for those who feel like SY broke their hearts with this one
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.29.2009, 01:43 AM   #41
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
That's my job. . . make people aware of their inadequacies to induce cathartic laughing that's really crying on the inside

SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 01:46 AM   #42
killthecaliforniagirls
little trouble girl

killthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard sucka
the eternal is boring :-)
killthecaliforniagirls is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 01:46 AM   #43
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by killthecaliforniagirls
I´m not "wrong". It´s my opinion. And yeah it does sound very emotional to say it broke my heart but that´s how i felt yesterday evening. :-) My Girlfriend forced me to stop talking myself into rage at some point. They´re my favourite band and they recorded a very boring record (my opinion).

nope....yer wrong.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 01:47 AM   #44
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny American
Man, I'm pretty bummed out by this. On every single Sonic Youth album up to "The Eternal," I think there have been scads of at the very least redeeming moments, even on their weakest overall albums, if not a series of successful, excellent songs that redefined, again and again, a sort of emotional or sonic journey the band could take you on, to new places, without leaving you lost. This album sounds like it was glued together from scraps of their other songs; they break into a bit strongly reminiscent of "Anagrama," or the music drops out like the mid-end of "Sympathy for the Strawberry." I did not know Sonic Youth to make awful songs, except for the occasional clunker ("Pink Steam," "Lights Out," "Hits of Sunshine" all being more boring than terrible).

I have never felt like Sonic Youth really repeated themselves or sounded the same album to album; it always seemed like they were engaged with music culture in a vital and awe-inspiring way, and this is why they've never really (to my ears) sounded like they were just aping their old moves in a mechanical, uninspiring way. I was never entirely bored by a Sonic Youth album before this one. They might be trying out new rhythmic moves and introducing some new oddly tasteless, retrograde 90s or cheesily bluesy (note Lee's songs, sounding oddly like musical and/or sonic rehashes of the mind-numbingly folksy "Lee #2" outtake from Goo) chord progressions on this album, but it could not sound more thoughtlessly executed. And so, some new musicology aside, this album finally sounds like the Sonic Youth that they have been accused of being by critics for years: a band that simply listened to their last couple albums, plus Thurston's last solo record, and then got together and recorded a bunch of songs that Thurston wrote himself, that weren't sussed out or significantly written together as a band, and then were done with business. Except I would have to replace the cliched criticism of them as "this is something they could write in an hour" with a sadly more biting, "this is something an imitator of theirs could write but wouldn't bother."

It's like their soul has dropped out of their music. The music doesn't progress in any kind of musically focused or emotional way that feels like it has any narrative or cohesion to it at all; it sounds like it was written by a random Sonic Youth song generator. "Massage the History" was generated by a code that read "Thurston's Academy sound" + "I Love You Golden Blue," and no other thoughts or emotions. What's worse, the guitar playing and vocal performances are often literally sloppy and awkward, in a way that suggests that they simply don't practice together the way they used to rather than some kind of bursting energy. They used to be a tight band, a New York hammer, and now when they try to rock, it sounds like they haven't been rehearsing as a band very much. The fact that, after a year off from the Daydream Nation sets, they played almost entirely Daydream Nation songs, suggests that indeed, they don't really work together as a unit very often anymore. This is where I think the band is going fatally wrong.

Let me repeat: I have found large aspects of ALL previous albums to love, including the, I think, thoughtlessly rejected "Rather Ripped" which at the very least has good songs on it, if not a lot of passionless noise sections that seem cut and pasted into the song structure like "The Eternal." I remember Lee saying that their songs were like sculpture around the Murray Street era, and up to that point, I believe that. This album sounds like a last-minute collage. It's unprecedently shoddy for me on all levels. I never imagined they could make something so artless. This is awful. I'm so saddened; the Sonics have been one of my favorite bands for so long and this is where they're going? Sloppiness, thoughtlessness and an outright artlessness. I never thought they would make an outright awful collection of pointlessly executed songs.

You know who doesn't want to write "killer tunes," Thurston? A band that is way more than some hack songwriting unit and is instead a blissful collective of identities rendered into a singular musical identity capable of expressing emotions on the level of true artists, rather than just mere songwriters. For evidence, see "Karenology," "I Love You Golden Blue," "Washing Machine," "Wildflower Soul," "Free City Rhymes," "Starfield Road," "Skip Tracer's" beatific ending, "100%," (especially live), the intro to "Tuff Gnarl," the frightening pulse of "Eliminator Jr.," pretty much anything from their entire catalog up to 2004. This band was called Sonic Youth. It appears to be, with the weak aspects of Rather Ripped and the absolute disaster of this album in terms of performances, arrangements and songwriting, a band that is gone, perhaps irrevocably so.

What should they do? Get a real producer that will actually challenge them and push them, like Jim O'Rourke tried to do, like even Butch Vig did in terms of performances, or John Siket's facilitations of their outward explorations on "Washing Machine." Start rehearsing and writing songs together as a unit; don't have Lee figure out his parts over the mail. And for god's sake, don't listen to any kind of bluesy or folk music or retrograde 90s rock music. Listen to interesting stuff that blows your mind; go for Dirty Projectors or Fiery Furnaces or Animal Collective's more adventurous stuff instead of Dinosaur Jr. or Awesome Color or Be Your Own Pet, for crying out loud. And investigate actual new rhythms other than Neu!'s krautrock beat spiced up with some sloppily-on-the-dime stops. Return to the method of working that produced one of the best and longest runs in music history; save your band, guys.

k thanks.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 01:59 AM   #45
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Why the fuck boarders get neg repped for sharing their opinions??
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 02:06 AM   #46
Johnny American
little trouble girl

Johnny American cold hard suckaJohnny American cold hard suckaJohnny American cold hard suckaJohnny American cold hard suckaJohnny American cold hard suckaJohnny American cold hard suckaJohnny American cold hard suckaJohnny American cold hard suckaJohnny American cold hard suckaJohnny American cold hard suckaJohnny American cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
Why the fuck boarders get neg repped for sharing their opinions??

Yeah, I was kind of half-surprised by that ... I wrote a thoughtful (and yes, entirely negative) review of a band that is obviously a favorite of mine and all of ours; it's not like I posted a bunch of fake links to leaked tracks or something or insulted a lot of people. Oh well. I guess this explains why I've been a member for a really long time and only sort of read this board for Moshe's news updates and any other notes of interesting happenings and less for, uh ... well, fan message boards are sorta ridiculous anyway, in general. Thus the half-surprise, haha

Dave Longstreth = gonna be reissued/re-blogged/whatever in 20, 30 years. Not this stuff. I bet my house on that.
Johnny American is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 02:27 AM   #47
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Well, if there was a a +rep giveaway where the entry criteria was nice post about how you were extremely disappointed in a favorite bands new album, you'd be the front runner. Sadly, there is not.
Old 04.29.2009, 02:35 AM   #48
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
... well, fan message boards are sorta ridiculous anyway, in general. Thus the half-surprise, haha

True that.
Still, either I'm a bit stupid (75% chance) or it's a kinda new "trend" on here. I noticed a bunch of people neg repped just for posting something they thought (not offensive/against "the rules") lately..bah.

in real life this situation would be:
man 1: "I like NYC G&F"
man 2: "I don't agree, and I'll piss on your rug to make my disagreement noticeable"

man 1: "This was a valued rug".

applauses.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 02:49 AM   #49
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Because they disagree with the dude. Right or wrong, that's why.

Which is ironic since not long ago I was in an argument with several people here but not one neg rep but all kinds of negative replies caveated with how little I am worth of their attention.

To complete the irony, I think the neg rep may be because of Johnny American's relative "noob" status (discounting join date) which people therefore people find of less consequence to just neg rep.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 03:17 AM   #50
vulva
the end of the ugly

vulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's asses

Old 04.29.2009, 03:19 AM   #51
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
Is that pic photoshopped?

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 03:20 AM   #52
vulva
the end of the ugly

vulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's asses
nah, MS Paint'd I think
Old 04.29.2009, 03:21 AM   #53
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
HAHA...

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 03:26 AM   #54
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe
didn't listen to the album yet but most sy albums need a few spins before i can make my mind about them. i remember i used to hate nycgf on the first few listens/months and now it is one of my favorites. allow the album some time so it can sink...
i can't agree more with this.
On first listen, yesterday night, i was ..interested.
2nd listen, i was amazed.
On 3rd listen, this morning, i'm totally IN AWE.
It comes off as a grower, as most SY LPs.
give it some time, dOOd.
Old 04.29.2009, 03:27 AM   #55
vulva
the end of the ugly

itt:

This album is not...

As good as Confusion is Sex

Old 04.29.2009, 03:29 AM   #56
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
I really think that the killjoys here need to put this back into its context.
THIS BAND HAS BEEN RELEASING JAWDROPPING RECORDS FOR 30 YEARS.

Where were you 30 years ago?
Where will you be 30 years from now?
Can you write a song?
Old 04.29.2009, 03:49 AM   #57
nancykitten
children of satan

nancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Man, I'm pretty bummed out by this. On every single Sonic Youth album up to "The Eternal," I think there have been scads of at the very least redeeming moments, even on their weakest overall albums, if not a series of successful, excellent songs that redefined, again and again, a sort of emotional or sonic journey the band could take you on, to new places, without leaving you lost. This album sounds like it was glued together from scraps of their other songs; they break into a bit strongly reminiscent of "Anagrama," or the music drops out like the mid-end of "Sympathy for the Strawberry." I did not know Sonic Youth to make awful songs, except for the occasional clunker ("Pink Steam," "Lights Out," "Hits of Sunshine" all being more boring than terrible).

I have never felt like Sonic Youth really repeated themselves or sounded the same album to album; it always seemed like they were engaged with music culture in a vital and awe-inspiring way, and this is why they've never really (to my ears) sounded like they were just aping their old moves in a mechanical, uninspiring way. I was never entirely bored by a Sonic Youth album before this one. They might be trying out new rhythmic moves and introducing some new oddly tasteless, retrograde 90s or cheesily bluesy (note Lee's songs, sounding oddly like musical and/or sonic rehashes of the mind-numbingly folksy "Lee #2" outtake from Goo) chord progressions on this album, but it could not sound more thoughtlessly executed. And so, some new musicology aside, this album finally sounds like the Sonic Youth that they have been accused of being by critics for years: a band that simply listened to their last couple albums, plus Thurston's last solo record, and then got together and recorded a bunch of songs that Thurston wrote himself, that weren't sussed out or significantly written together as a band, and then were done with business. Except I would have to replace the cliched criticism of them as "this is something they could write in an hour" with a sadly more biting, "this is something an imitator of theirs could write but wouldn't bother."

It's like their soul has dropped out of their music. The music doesn't progress in any kind of musically focused or emotional way that feels like it has any narrative or cohesion to it at all; it sounds like it was written by a random Sonic Youth song generator. "Massage the History" was generated by a code that read "Thurston's Academy sound" + "I Love You Golden Blue," and no other thoughts or emotions. What's worse, the guitar playing and vocal performances are often literally sloppy and awkward, in a way that suggests that they simply don't practice together the way they used to rather than some kind of bursting energy. They used to be a tight band, a New York hammer, and now when they try to rock, it sounds like they haven't been rehearsing as a band very much. The fact that, after a year off from the Daydream Nation sets, they played almost entirely Daydream Nation songs, suggests that indeed, they don't really work together as a unit very often anymore. This is where I think the band is going fatally wrong.

Let me repeat: I have found large aspects of ALL previous albums to love, including the, I think, thoughtlessly rejected "Rather Ripped" which at the very least has good songs on it, if not a lot of passionless noise sections that seem cut and pasted into the song structure like "The Eternal." I remember Lee saying that their songs were like sculpture around the Murray Street era, and up to that point, I believe that. This album sounds like a last-minute collage. It's unprecedently shoddy for me on all levels. I never imagined they could make something so artless. This is awful. I'm so saddened; the Sonics have been one of my favorite bands for so long and this is where they're going? Sloppiness, thoughtlessness and an outright artlessness. I never thought they would make an outright awful collection of pointlessly executed songs.

You know who doesn't want to write "killer tunes," Thurston? A band that is way more than some hack songwriting unit and is instead a blissful collective of identities rendered into a singular musical identity capable of expressing emotions on the level of true artists, rather than just mere songwriters. For evidence, see "Karenology," "I Love You Golden Blue," "Washing Machine," "Wildflower Soul," "Free City Rhymes," "Starfield Road," "Skip Tracer's" beatific ending, "100%," (especially live), the intro to "Tuff Gnarl," the frightening pulse of "Eliminator Jr.," pretty much anything from their entire catalog up to 2004. This band was called Sonic Youth. It appears to be, with the weak aspects of Rather Ripped and the absolute disaster of this album in terms of performances, arrangements and songwriting, a band that is gone, perhaps irrevocably so.

What should they do? Get a real producer that will actually challenge them and push them, like Jim O'Rourke tried to do, like even Butch Vig did in terms of performances, or John Siket's facilitations of their outward explorations on "Washing Machine." Start rehearsing and writing songs together as a unit; don't have Lee figure out his parts over the mail. And for god's sake, don't listen to any kind of bluesy or folk music or retrograde 90s rock music. Listen to interesting stuff that blows your mind; go for Dirty Projectors or Fiery Furnaces or Animal Collective's more adventurous stuff instead of Dinosaur Jr. or Awesome Color or Be Your Own Pet, for crying out loud. And investigate actual new rhythms other than Neu!'s krautrock beat spiced up with some sloppily-on-the-dime stops. Return to the method of working that produced one of the best and longest runs in music history; save your band, guys.

Wow, this is too long to read.

You've only had the record for one day. Give it a chance. I have a feeling this one might be a grower.

nancykitten is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 04:02 AM   #58
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Describing it as hodgepodge cut and paste actually excites me more about this album.

Narrative/progression/artfulness is for progtards and Radiohead fans.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 04:02 AM   #59
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Quote:
I did not know Sonic Youth to make awful songs, except for the occasional clunker ("Pink Steam,"

Old 04.29.2009, 04:55 AM   #60
Androol
the destroyed room

Androol kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedrex
Can you write a song?
ugh
Androol is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth