Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Kerze (DDN Candle) to be sold
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.28.2008, 01:47 PM   #21
GrungeMonkey
100%

GrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard sucka
i would so get that if i was loaded
GrungeMonkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.28.2008, 02:38 PM   #22
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Cracklin
That wasn't my point at all. I was just linking to an older and somewhat supplementary post.

As to the aesthetic validity of "Kerze," of course it's art.

Although, bear in mind that it was made by merely projecting a photograph onto a small canvas and color-matching; or perhaps it was only just color-matched and painted right over the mounted photo itself! What saves it are its formal qualities of color and composition; and the content itself (a painting of a sole candle), provides excellent narrative as a subject. Also to the painting's credit, Richter's "blurring technique" (employed with a dry brush onto partially-dried oils) is somewhat unique (in modern art anyway). I'd like to know more about what possible lacquers and varnishes he uses. And, of course, "Kerze" is really the signature piece (owing to SY and DDN) of Gerhard's hyperrealistic works.

IMO, Mr. Richter owes SY a gratuitous payday. Not that it will ever happen, mind you (i.e., the world is fucked-up). He's getting up there in age anyhow.

BTW, don't get too ired by what you may perhaps perceive as possible provocation, but I've seen "Kerze" (and other similar (he has several candles) hyperreal Richter works like "Skull" too) in person. That candle flame is quite extraordinary. I've also seen a series of larger AbEx canvases by Richter done up in a palette-knifing style with rather garish and brutish colors. As far as "contemporary" German artists go, Anselm Kiefer is better, but I still like Richter.
\

3 FOOT BY 3 FOOT IS NOT A SMALL PAINTING
Old 02.28.2008, 02:39 PM   #23
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
OH TO HAVE MILLIONS HANDY

quid?

quim?

you brits make me laugh!
Old 02.28.2008, 02:57 PM   #24
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhler
i just bought it. i'm flying out in my private jet in a few hours to pick it up. i'm giving it to the girl from paramore because i feel bad she got gang raped by her band.

again i ask...

who the fuck are paramore????????????????
Old 02.28.2008, 03:00 PM   #25
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
again i ask...

who the fuck are paramore????????????????
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2JyS7Mp9QM
THEY ROCK!!!!
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.28.2008, 03:47 PM   #26
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit

I'm so sick of that song. It is in constant rotation over here.
Old 02.28.2008, 04:03 PM   #27
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ✌➬
I'm so sick of that song. It is in constant rotation over here.
but THEY ROCK!!!!!!
p.s. i loled a lot becuz the youtube search gives a lot of results and all the first 3 or 4 said "this video is not available in your country", kind of a "protection program" ha ha.
Old 02.28.2008, 04:07 PM   #28
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
They are ok, not my cup of tea. God, but they get played like five times in an hour. I am exaggerating of course.
Old 02.28.2008, 04:17 PM   #29
nicfit
invito al cielo

well, I was actually 100% joking about the " they rock!!!" thing, eh...crappy happy-emo-youngsters-dressed-to-impressss-the-young-audience.no?
Old 02.28.2008, 04:18 PM   #30
✌➬
invito al cielo

Don't need to lie, you love them don't you.

By the way, I wish I could buy that painting.
Old 02.28.2008, 04:21 PM   #31
nicfit
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ✌➬
Don't need to lie, you love them don't you.
damn, you got me... must be that feeling of "prohibited stuff" given by those "this video is not available in your country" notices...I hope they're distributed over here. back on topic, I might have the ddn cover printed BIG on photo paper in a lab...
Old 02.28.2008, 06:30 PM   #32
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhler
i just bought it. i'm flying out in my private jet in a few hours to pick it up. i'm giving it to the girl from paramore because i feel bad she got gang raped by her band.
are you talking about the girl with the david bowie hair?
Old 02.29.2008, 04:47 AM   #33
nicfit
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
are you talking about the girl with the david bowie hair?
ha ha, true.
Old 10.16.2008, 04:39 PM   #34
Santa's Monkey
little trouble girl

Santa's Monkey kicks all y'all's assesSanta's Monkey kicks all y'all's assesSanta's Monkey kicks all y'all's assesSanta's Monkey kicks all y'all's assesSanta's Monkey kicks all y'all's assesSanta's Monkey kicks all y'all's assesSanta's Monkey kicks all y'all's assesSanta's Monkey kicks all y'all's assesSanta's Monkey kicks all y'all's assesSanta's Monkey kicks all y'all's assesSanta's Monkey kicks all y'all's asses
If anyone in GB saw the Griff Rhys Jones programme on London last night (15/10, ITV - ugh), he went to Christies for the evening and I'm sure there were a couple of flashes of the Kerze piece - suggesting that it was being sold the night he popped by - alas, the segment focussed more on the sale of a big gold egg with holes in it. But even the quick cut-to's made the candle piccie look very nice.

-edit- having reread the top of this thread, it was prob Sotherbys rather than Christies, same ole same ole....
Santa's Monkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2008, 04:44 PM   #35
al shabbray

I want it
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2008, 05:56 PM   #36
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
\

3 FOOT BY 3 FOOT IS NOT A SMALL PAINTING

Nor is it a large painting.

The ones I saw in person were all smaller than 3' x 3'.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.17.2008, 07:27 PM   #37
stadtgorilla
little trouble girl

stadtgorilla kicks all y'all's assesstadtgorilla kicks all y'all's assesstadtgorilla kicks all y'all's assesstadtgorilla kicks all y'all's assesstadtgorilla kicks all y'all's assesstadtgorilla kicks all y'all's assesstadtgorilla kicks all y'all's assesstadtgorilla kicks all y'all's assesstadtgorilla kicks all y'all's assesstadtgorilla kicks all y'all's assesstadtgorilla kicks all y'all's asses
a friend of mine painted 'kerze' on a wall in my room back in my parents' house in '96. I'd sell the wall if anyone wants it. I'll post a picture.
Another friend of mine made an oil painting of the group shot from the original lp. It has some blank spots in it cause it's unfinished but that's just postmodern. anyone interested?
Old 10.30.2008, 02:11 AM   #38
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.list.co.uk/article/13932-gerhard-richter/

Gerhard Richter

Gerhard Richter: Familie am Meer (Family at the Sea)
Man for all seasons

Neil Cooper gets the lowdown on a major new exhibition of work by the man considered by some to be the greatest German artist of the post World War II era
When Sonic Youth toured their 1988 Daydream Nation album in 2007 on the back of the same year's two-CD deluxe edition of what had originally been the New York art rock pioneers' final independent release, the original LP cover art was probably the last thing on the minds of anyone watching. Yet, Gerhard Richter's 1983 and 1982 'Kerze' ('Candle') paintings, which adorned both sides of the sleeve, was a crucial part of Daydream Nation's original package. Effectively one work of art wrapped round another, it was an unmistakably explicit statement on the seriousness of both parties.
The major retrospective that is Gerhard Richter: Paintings from Private Collections, which the 1982 'Kerze' forms part of, is equally serious. From pop art beginnings, Richter has moved from photo-realism to abstraction and back again, embracing all facets of painting as a creative form when the rise of conceptualism declared that painting was dead.
Despite the ficklenesses of fashion, German-born Richter determinedly stuck to his guns. Today, with a back-catalogue covering all stylistic bases, this first major UK show since 1991, drawn from the Frieder Burda and other private collections, opens the door on an artist often hailed as the greatest painter alive.
'It's almost like seeing an exhibition by ten different artists,' notes Keith Hartley, chief curator and deputy director of the National Galleries of Scotland. 'There are fine representations of his early 1960s work right through his colourful 1980s abstractions, as well as work from the 1990s and some late figurative work based on Richter's own photographs. There are also some very recent abstract works from the last couple of years. People have been saying painting is dead ever since photography started, but Richter will explore every possibility of how he might do things, and there are conceptual elements in his work. He has been a shot in the arm for painters, because he shows that painting can still be a powerful force.'
Richter's influence could be seen recently at Dundee Contemporary Arts, whose Altered States Of Paint group show reinvigorated painting even as it drew from the dark side of 1960s pop culture. Such a link went beyond the work itself. One of the artists taking part in Altered States was Jutta Koether, a long-term associate of Sonic Youth's Kim Gordon, who provided sleeve-notes for the 1993 re-issue of the aforementioned Richter-adorned Daydream Nation album.
More recently, Richter produced a stained-glass collage for Cologne Cathedral. While Hartley points out that Richter will never stand still in terms of form, his commitment to painting is unswerving. As Richter wrote as far back as 1973: 'One has to believe in what one is doing, one has to commit oneself inwardly, in order to do painting. Once obsessed, one ultimately carries it to the point of believing that one might change human beings through painting. But if one lacks this passionate commitment, there is nothing left to do. Then it is best to leave it alone. For, basically, painting is idiocy.'
Gerhard Richter: Paintings From Private Collections, National Gallery, Edinburgh, Sat 8 Nov-Sun 4 Jan.
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2009, 07:45 AM   #39
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by stadtgorilla
a friend of mine painted 'kerze' on a wall in my room back in my parents' house in '96. I'd sell the wall if anyone wants it. I'll post a picture.
Another friend of mine made an oil painting of the group shot from the original lp. It has some blank spots in it cause it's unfinished but that's just postmodern. anyone interested?

Yes I'll buy a wall. Why don't you just fed-ex it to me.

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth