Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Lee Ranaldo - Between The Times & The Tides
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.13.2012, 01:07 PM   #141
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfeatencake
xtina!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rappard
+1.
+2.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2012, 01:09 PM   #142
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennthebenn
This is far superior to "Demolished Thoughts." To me. In my opinion.

Everything is far superior to Demolished Thoughts. That album is whack.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2012, 02:58 PM   #143
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
I just saw a rainbow fall into the floor
Shattered into pieces, your eyes asked what for
These days I'm all alone out in the middle of the world
These days I'm trying to tell myself you're just another girl

I can see the red door slamming on the stage
Chaos in the streets, these are the days of rage
These days are so uncertain satellites falling to the sea
These days its all a question of what matters to you and me

Watch me as I fall
Then scrape me off the wall
And take me home
See me as I am
Just half a man
Trying to get home

i think lee is going to buy a Porsche and go to vegas.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2012, 03:40 PM   #144
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
argh there is a melody on "off the wall" that sounds crazy similar to that in a bob seger song? am i crazy!?!
to me thats more apparant than the comparison of "waiting on a dream" to "paint it black".

"xtina as i knew her" has this slowed down Polvo type of thing going on to me, and do i hear nels on this one?

love the acoustic guitar sound on "hammer blows"

scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2012, 05:55 PM   #145
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
I was bonkers excited at first, but now I'm skeptical. We do have our copy secured-- the vinyl-- and I haven't heard the whole album yet, but I haven't been truly 100% happy with any of the SY releases since they signed with Matador. Except SYR9... which was not on Matador.

Am I the only one who's like.... "Hey, where the fuck did Lee Ranaldo go?" I mean there's some nostalgic, noodly guitar work, sure, but this just doesn't sound right to me.

Neither did demolished thoughts come to think of it.
or the eternal.

Edit: I was being a complainy cunt here, admittedly. I do like all the records I mentioned here.
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2012, 12:49 AM   #146
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.villagevoice.com/2012-03-...ng-solo-debut/
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2012, 12:50 AM   #147
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/6z5c
Old 03.14.2012, 12:53 AM   #148
Moshe
Super Moderator

http://www.bigtakeover.com/recording...-tides-matador
Old 03.14.2012, 01:51 AM   #149
Moshe
Super Moderator

http://www.cokemachineglow.com/featu...eeranaldo-2012
Old 03.14.2012, 11:39 AM   #150
themawt71
the destroyed room

themawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's asses
nels sems to be on roughly 60% of the record in small and larger ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott v
argh there is a melody on "off the wall" that sounds crazy similar to that in a bob seger song? am i crazy!?!
to me thats more apparant than the comparison of "waiting on a dream" to "paint it black".

"xtina as i knew her" has this slowed down Polvo type of thing going on to me, and do i hear nels on this one?

love the acoustic guitar sound on "hammer blows"
themawt71 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2012, 11:58 AM   #151
sy2004
stalker

sy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's asses
Now that the full stream is online, it's about time that the nyctaper bootleg gets out too

sy2004 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2012, 12:02 PM   #152
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
I was bonkers excited at first, but now I'm skeptical. We do have our copy secured-- the vinyl-- and I haven't heard the whole album yet, but I haven't been truly 100% happy with any of the SY releases since they signed with Matador. Except SYR9... which was not on Matador.

Am I the only one who's like.... "Hey, where the fuck did Lee Ranaldo go?" I mean there's some nostalgic, noodly guitar work, sure, but this just doesn't sound right to me.

Neither did demolished thoughts come to think of it.
or the eternal.

How about you shut the fuck up and listen to the record first then? Not saying that you must or mustn't like it, I don't care either way, just please shut up with your dull takes on just about everything.

SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP!
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2012, 04:07 PM   #153
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Many thanks for all the links, Moshe.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is online now   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2012, 06:20 PM   #154
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
How about you shut the fuck up and listen to the record first then? Not saying that you must or mustn't like it, I don't care either way, just please shut up with your dull takes on just about everything.

SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP!

Oh settle down, Charlie Brown. That's what threads are for! Besides, no one's twisting your arm and making you read my posts.
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2012, 09:38 PM   #155
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I like it.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2012, 02:06 AM   #156
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
I think also itīs quite stupid to say specially anything negative opinions before hearing the whole record at least one time (well I have also said few times, but Iīm not going to do it anymore). Specially because these are SY fan sites and Lee is SY guitarist. I think too many people today seem to have need to say something negative about almost everything. I have listened a little bit from every song from Leeīs new, but I donīt want to say anything before I get the vinyl and have good opportunity to concentrate it properly. SY is the most important band to me, so I donīt want to say anything about it superficially.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2012, 05:26 AM   #157
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
like you say anything of great importance.

i'll just ignore you from now on
Good. Now you can fuck off.
Old 03.15.2012, 05:29 AM   #158
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
Oh settle down, Charlie Brown. That's what threads are for! Besides, no one's twisting your arm and making you read my posts.

nO i CAN'T IGNORE YOU. yOU TALK WAY TOO MUCH SHIT. SHUT THE FUCK UP. PLEASE
Old 03.15.2012, 05:34 AM   #159
muttlegs
empty page

muttlegs kicks all y'all's assesmuttlegs kicks all y'all's assesmuttlegs kicks all y'all's assesmuttlegs kicks all y'all's assesmuttlegs kicks all y'all's assesmuttlegs kicks all y'all's assesmuttlegs kicks all y'all's assesmuttlegs kicks all y'all's assesmuttlegs kicks all y'all's assesmuttlegs kicks all y'all's assesmuttlegs kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
I think also itīs quite stupid to say specially anything negative opinions before hearing the whole record at least one time (well I have also said few times, but Iīm not going to do it anymore). Specially because these are SY fan sites and Lee is SY guitarist. I think too many people today seem to have need to say something negative about almost everything. I have listened a little bit from every song from Leeīs new, but I donīt want to say anything before I get the vinyl and have good opportunity to concentrate it properly. SY is the most important band to me, so I donīt want to say anything about it superficially.

I agree that first impressions are different to a more considered opinion after giving the vinyl a few spins. I streamed the LP on Rolling Stone and to me it sounded a bit dad rock.
I think like many people I expected a bit more of an angular approach but it sounds very traditional. The fact the picked 'Off The Wall' as the first track is has wrong footed people as it does have a lot more SY in it than the majority of the album. The SY style of that track is I am sure why it was picked.
Some people seem under the impression that Lee tracks were shunned in the band and this album is an opportunity for him to free himself of those shackles.
Expecting an album of all new songs in the vein of all of the ones he has written through the years was always gonna end in tears.
I will get it anyway and judge it on its own merits outside of SY.
Maybe he needs the others to be SY Lee anyway?
muttlegs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2012, 06:19 AM   #160
mysonichaircut
children of satan

mysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's asses
Maybe some of you want to hear more sonic youth in Lees album. But i think it was very stupid, if Lee just repeated what sonic youth already said. What makes this album so outstanding to me is the fact, that Lee obviously learned from very different rock-legends, but also developed his own language through the years. Both comes together on "Between the times..." in a very fresh and easy way. I like it much. And some songs i didnt like first, for ex. stranded, grow now i listen to them again. I hope this is not Lees last effort to dissappoint some narrow-minded sonic youth fans. :-) I still love the old sy stuff though.
mysonichaircut is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth