Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The saddest song you've ever heard.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.29.2007, 06:07 AM   #61
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noumenal
Part of me feels like I've been baited and that I'll be mocked for jumping in to correct some small classical music thing, but I can't help myself..... Sorry Glicey.

Mahler wrote many traditional Lieder, but they're not that well known. At least compared to his orchestral songs, which are very well known. In particular are the Kindertotenlieder (Songs on the Death of Children) and Das Lied von der Erde (The Song of the Earth). As you might imagine, there are some pretty sad songs to be found there. He also included songs in some of his symphonies; the 4th movement of his 2nd symphony is an orchestral song from Des Knaben Wunderhorn. The title is "Urlicht," which means Primeval Light, more or less. It is pretty sad.

I know a lot of people though would mention Strauss's Vier Letzte Lieder--the last things he wrote. I'm not super familiar with them. They're orchestral songs too. Three of the texts are by Hermann Hesse, who I know is popular among some people here. I need to get a recording of them.

If I can get away with classical pieces even though they are not songs I would have to go for; Shostakovich's 'Leningrad' Symphony and Penderecki's 'Threnody to the victims of Hiroshima'. They are both so moving in a very unobvious way.

.....oh and of course my lack of originality compels me to mention the last movement of Beethoven's 9th.
Old 04.29.2007, 06:10 AM   #62
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
Xiu Xiu - Little Panda McElroy

this one's bitter as hell too.
How could I forget about Xiu Xiu.
Old 04.29.2007, 08:10 AM   #63
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Françoise Hardy - Il n'y a pas d'amour heureux
The Notwist - Consequence
Léo Ferré - Avec le temps (the most depressing French song ever LOL)
Jacques Brel - Jef, La chanson des vieux amants, La ville s'endormait, Voir un ami pleurer
Bob Dylan - One more cup of coffee, Sara, Simple twist of fate, You're a big girl now
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2007, 03:18 PM   #64
Bunbury
stalker

Bunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's asses
Music to Perish too
Sad: Sia- Breathe Me
(dont lie, you know the ending of six feet under brought a tear to your eye)

Sadder: Hope There's Someone- Antony and the Johnsons

Saddest: Afraid- Nico
Bunbury is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2007, 04:59 PM   #65
cassidy
empty page

cassidy has much to be proud ofcassidy has much to be proud ofcassidy has much to be proud ofcassidy has much to be proud ofcassidy has much to be proud ofcassidy has much to be proud ofcassidy has much to be proud ofcassidy has much to be proud ofcassidy has much to be proud ofcassidy has much to be proud of
the version of mad world from donnie darko, sung by gary jules. everytime i hear this song i get all teary eyed. it's just so sad...
cassidy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2007, 05:02 PM   #66
Dues
little trouble girl

Dues is a name known to allDues is a name known to allDues is a name known to allDues is a name known to allDues is a name known to allDues is a name known to all
- -
PJ Harvey

Kick it to the ground
Look at what I've found
A flower on his grave
Kick it to the ground
I've got no soul to save
Nature dealt me raw
Planted me with hate
Took my only love
To an early grave

The true test, after all, is to be like everyone else. Once that happens, he no longer has to question his singularity. He is free—not only of others, but of himself.

Dues is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2007, 05:09 PM   #67
Prisstina
the end of the ugly

Prisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's asses
Unfaithful by Rihanna.

Really.

Prisstina is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2007, 05:11 PM   #68
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
liz phair's fuck and run, i don't know why.
m2m's pretty boy.
santo & johnny's sleepwalk.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2007, 05:26 PM   #69
Dues
little trouble girl

Dues is a name known to allDues is a name known to allDues is a name known to allDues is a name known to allDues is a name known to allDues is a name known to all
- -
Cat Power

Water & air
The same day they fell in love
The same day they died in love
I did not want you to die alone
Rusty river run down
Run, run as fast as you can
Rusty river run ragged
And drag my lover's self back to me
I'll meet him there
Water and air
Oh to be at the bottom of a river
Below the dark water
The devil all around

The true test, after all, is to be like everyone else. Once that happens, he no longer has to question his singularity. He is free—not only of others, but of himself.

Dues is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2007, 06:01 PM   #70
Toxa
100%

Toxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's asses
"arrow to my drunken eye" by fibbers...
Toxa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2007, 01:47 PM   #71
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
Television- Marquee Moon (that song makes me horribly depressed)

That's weird because I find that song very uplifting.
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2007, 06:00 PM   #72
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Art Garfunkel's "Bright Eyes". A totally cheesy song, but one that makes me feel glum even now when I hear it on the radio.
Old 05.01.2007, 02:42 PM   #73
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noumenal
Part of me feels like I've been baited and that I'll be mocked for jumping in to correct some small classical music thing, but I can't help myself..... Sorry Glicey.

Mahler wrote many traditional Lieder, but they're not that well known. At least compared to his orchestral songs, which are very well known. In particular are the Kindertotenlieder (Songs on the Death of Children) and Das Lied von der Erde (The Song of the Earth). As you might imagine, there are some pretty sad songs to be found there. He also included songs in some of his symphonies; the 4th movement of his 2nd symphony is an orchestral song from Des Knaben Wunderhorn. The title is "Urlicht," which means Primeval Light, more or less. It is pretty sad.

I know a lot of people though would mention Strauss's Vier Letzte Lieder--the last things he wrote. I'm not super familiar with them. They're orchestral songs too. Three of the texts are by Hermann Hesse, who I know is popular among some people here. I need to get a recording of them.

Well, thanks for correcting me. Like many, I'm more familiar with Mahler's symphonies; I shall have my classical sources hunt down the lieder [arf].

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2007, 06:40 PM   #74
sarramkrop

PJ Harvey/ John Parish - That Was My Veil
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2007, 07:16 PM   #75
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
I've been thinking about this, but I'm still unable to come up with a song that I find inherently sad (as in, capable of moving me to tears). Context has more to do with it than anything.

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2007, 07:50 PM   #76
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
"Last Kiss" - Pearl Jam Version
String Quartet No. 14 - Beethoven
Old 05.01.2007, 09:19 PM   #77
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
2Pac - Life Goes On
Old 05.01.2007, 09:35 PM   #78
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
Bob Dylan- You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go
Weezer- Mykel and Karli
Beatles- I'll Follow The Sun
Hank Williams- I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2007, 10:11 PM   #79
Kallisti23chaos
children of satan

Kallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's asses
"Never Dreamed You'd Leave In Summer" by Stevie Wonder
Old 05.01.2007, 10:58 PM   #80
Pinki Tuscaderro
empty page

Pinki Tuscaderro has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Dylan - seven curses
Pinki Tuscaderro is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth