Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café II
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.07.2013, 04:10 PM   #841
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Has anyone here said anything about the-Dream's new album? I found myself almost buying it, without even being sure that I remembered the last album (I didn't ), so I decided against it. But I want some good new alt.R&B while I twiddle my thumbs and wait for the next Frank Ocean record.

Also- what's the word on D5? Is it a yay or a nay? I can't tell. I want it to be good soooo fucking bad. But Sorry 4 tha Wait was the last Wayne mix tape I even bothered with ( and it was strangely badass ). So tell me what to think goddamnit!
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2013, 04:15 PM   #842
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
yeah this was a pretty good year for pretty good mixtapes.

WTF is N64? (All I can think is Nintendo 64)

Acid Rap is good, but still not smething I love.

Long.Live.A$AP still #1. Yeezus is up there.

I still need Doris, bad.

Wow. One by one you all seem to be forgetting about the first "shit yr pants with anticipation" hip hop album of the year, and still the best: 12 Reasons. Yes, Yeezus is more of an event, and more current, and more emotionally resonant, so I doubt it won't land at the top of my year end list, but 12 Reasons is the best hip hop album of the year, even if it's not the most definitive.
Old 09.07.2013, 04:22 PM   #843
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
so I doubt it won't land at the top of my year end list, but 12 Reasons is the best hip hop album of the year, even if it's not the most definitive.

Agreed completely. The album as regards to lyrical content isn't Ghostface's best, but its a story, so he is using it to apply to real life. We see ourselves in that story. The production is epic, the instrumentation superb, definitely one of the best hip-hop records in ten years.

I be still on that MC Tree shit though!! Like everyday switching up between Sunday School 1 and 2 back and forth..

Quote:

I still need Doris, bad.

Quote:
Black as Paul Mooney at the movies..

Yes, you need this record. This doesn't hold you over enough?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2013, 07:05 PM   #844
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
@sev: Fuck. You're right. Why do I keep forgetting 12 Reasons. it's not my fav, but it's up there with Long.Live and Yeezus.

The word on D5, as far as I'm concerned is YAY. Not like "omg weezy is back," but like "omg weezy is on his way back!"
Old 09.07.2013, 07:13 PM   #845
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
what the fuck is n64..........?
Old 09.07.2013, 07:17 PM   #846
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I can't believe y'all are hyping some shit I've never heard of. Denzel Curry? What? I'm getting mad old. :\
Old 09.07.2013, 07:27 PM   #847
noisereductions
invito al cielo

unrelated...

I think "Oldie" might be the best hip hop single so far of the 2010's.
Old 09.07.2013, 07:29 PM   #848
noisereductions
invito al cielo

wait wait wait

is Denzel Curry in RVIDER KLVN???

Holy shit. Sold. Thanks forever!

(can't find N64 though)
Old 09.07.2013, 08:00 PM   #849
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
here ya go mang

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_battery
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2013, 09:42 PM   #850
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
As of right now in September, easily the Top-10hip hop records of 2013 in this order

(1)Killah Priest The Psychic World of Walter Reed
(2) Janelle Monae Q.U.E.E.N
(3) Earl Sweatshirt Doris
(4) MC Tree Sunday School II When Church Lets Out
(5) Ghostface Twelve Reasons To Die
(6) Hieroglyphics The Kitchen
(7) Talib Kweli Prisoner of Conscious (I don't necessarily like Talib but I don't necessarily diss, I respect it, its just not my kind of flow, but this album is definitely in the top 7)
(6) MC Eiht Keep It Hood (really, this album kicks ass, it should be up in top 7 under The Kitchen but Talib put up an epic record there, even if I don't bump it)
(9) Daz and WC West Coast Gangsta Shit (doris is getting the westcoast attention but WC is as fresh as in 1994, period, holdin it down)
(10) Kool Keith Magnetic Pimp Force Field (underrated)

Old 09.07.2013, 09:47 PM   #851
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

By the way, how the fuck did we NOT already discuss Hieroglyphics the Kitchen? Really, for the sheer novelty of their first album in ten years it should be in the top-3!!!! Also, that Killah Priest is technically better than Twelve Reasons To Die, but like a great film with superb cinematography, Ghostface takes the year for the over-all craft of his record. Same with Janelle, she shouldn't be number 2, but I will not recant. You know what, I fucking sweat over-all, with ALL the great artists and albums, I fucking dare say this is the best year for hip hop of the past FIFTEEN AT LEAST!!!!!! So much new shit. So many vets putting out albums as great as anything in their discography, even the duds weren't that bad! Seriously, I can't think of a single year since 1999 where I could honestly name TEN hip hop or rap records worth listening, let alone great shit like my above list. I am mesmerized, its rekindled my love for rap and hip hop in no way since Dr Dooom put out Dr Dooom II and E-40 dropped like six records last year..

Old 09.07.2013, 11:27 PM   #852
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
wait wait wait

is Denzel Curry in RVIDER KLVN???

Holy shit. Sold. Thanks forever!

(can't find N64 though)
yeah!!! check out your inbox.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2013, 11:38 PM   #853
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Has anyone here said anything about the-Dream's new album? I found myself almost buying it, without even being sure that I remembered the last album (I didn't ), so I decided against it. But I want some good new alt.R&B while I twiddle my thumbs and wait for the next Frank Ocean record.

Also- what's the word on D5? Is it a yay or a nay? I can't tell. I want it to be good soooo fucking bad. But Sorry 4 tha Wait was the last Wayne mix tape I even bothered with ( and it was strangely badass ). So tell me what to think goddamnit!
i'm a huge Dream fan but i wasn't feeling his new album.

you should get Miguel's album and Jeremih's mixtape (Late Nights with Jeremih) if you haven't yet.

Frank is the king though.
Old 09.07.2013, 11:52 PM   #854
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
As of right now in September, easily the Top-10hip hop records of 2013 in this order

(1) Killah Priest The Psychic World of Walter Reed
(2) Janelle Monae Q.U.E.E.N
(3) Earl Sweatshirt Doris
(4) MC Tree Sunday School II When Church Lets Out
(5) Ghostface Twelve Reasons To Die
(6) Hieroglyphics The Kitchen
(7) Talib Kweli Prisoner of Conscious (I don't necessarily like Talib but I don't necessarily diss, I respect it, its just not my kind of flow, but this album is definitely in the top 7)
(6) MC Eiht Keep It Hood (really, this album kicks ass, it should be up in top 7 under The Kitchen but Talib put up an epic record there, even if I don't bump it)
(9) Daz and WC West Coast Gangsta Shit (doris is getting the westcoast attention but WC is as fresh as in 1994, period, holdin it down)
(10) Kool Keith Magnetic Pimp Force Field (underrated)

Just bumped that Killah Priest again tonight while doing my grading, shit, I realized why its definitely in my top-5, shit, it probably should be above Ghostface because its a double album of nothing but banging tracks, I mean really, its TWO LPs and there isn't any filler, not even skits?? Killah Priest was on a mission on this one.. and the beats are SICK!

Old 09.08.2013, 12:01 AM   #855
louder
invito al cielo

^ i believe you. i've been told about that album before.

maybe i'll give it a chance. Killah Priest is a great MC.
Old 09.08.2013, 12:05 AM   #856
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
^ i believe you. i've been told about that album before.

maybe i'll give it a chance. Killah Priest is a great MC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZWyYEQvK2A

You ain't bumped it yet? I just got through the both the first and second disc in one sitting (yeah, I been busy with this grading) and I've decided officially, balancing all aspects, the beats, the overall production, the samples, the guest artists, and especially the lyrical content, that The Psychic World of Walter Reed is the best hip-hop album of 2013, period.

Old 09.08.2013, 11:17 AM   #857
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZWyYEQvK2A

You ain't bumped it yet? I just got through the both the first and second disc in one sitting (yeah, I been busy with this grading) and I've decided officially, balancing all aspects, the beats, the overall production, the samples, the guest artists, and especially the lyrical content, that The Psychic World of Walter Reed is the best hip-hop album of 2013, period.

Shit, man, I haven't bumped it yet, and I'm usually all the fuck over any Wu-affiliated shit I can get my hands on.

I honestly find even know about it. I am ashamed of myself.

I am not a worthy Wu Clansman.

Then again, when looking at Wu-Tang as a collective, who the hell can keep up with everything that goes on? Still, more lame than badass over here.

Ps. SuchFriends: you're a teacher?!
Old 09.08.2013, 04:12 PM   #858
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Shit, man, I haven't bumped it yet, and I'm usually all the fuck over any Wu-affiliated shit I can get my hands on.

I honestly find even know about it. I am ashamed of myself.

Don't be, I totally overlooked this record too, when it came out I sampled it, but didn't dive in, and I let that Ghostface distract me. But seriously, Killah Priest was on a mission on this album, it is deep and high-impact.

Quote:

Ps. SuchFriends: you're a teacher?!

Yes. High school. Its a blast for the most part. I get to bump good shit before every class too

Old 09.09.2013, 07:48 PM   #859
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

I'm trying to give that Twalib Kweli a chance, but I just can't dig it. Not only do I not really like the guys voice, he brings in all the guys whose voices I don't like, its like an epic record lyrically that I should be bumping on steady rotation, and yet I just can't.

Old 09.09.2013, 09:22 PM   #860
Severian
invito al cielo

I live a lot of Talib's old stuff, and Black Star of course, but I can't get into the new one either. I used to be so into him or bordered on homoeroticism. Well, more Mos Def and Madlib and other collaborators. Looking back, I really don't care much for him as an emcee.

Pretty sure he's done, like Lupe. Hopefully Mos still has some music in him. He 's one of the greats.
404142 43 44454653 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth