Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.09.2008, 09:57 AM   #4101
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
In regards to that quote, that's definitely how I feel. The reason I post to message boards is to get differing opinions, differing ideas, differing feelings -- really, EVERY BAND/movie/book/video game/television show/etc is all just one click away nowadays. So, why exactly do so many people on this board all sound like the exact same person? There's nothing wrong with the familiar or the obvious, but it seems to me like there'd be some more people into radically different things on here... People can mock me and what will be percieved as some kind of elitist attitude, but I just genuinely want to learn new things and get into new things. I truely check out every reccomendation that people give me eventually unless it REALLY sounds like something I wouldn't like -- and even then, I kinda enjoy listening to music I don't like (within reason)... It's kinda interesting, like "why can't I get into this band? What they doing that offends me?" And sometimes I even end up appreciating stuff I thought I hated. It's crazy! There are plenty of people on this board who aren't close-minded or single-minded or Thurston-minded; like you, Derek... and glice, porky, atari, batreleaser, everyneurotic, fugazifan, pauly, nicfit, floatingslowly, melly, al, slavo, DJ Rick, Sherrif Rhys, king_Buzzo, and like 10 others who I am sorry for omitting the mention of as I've worked all night and am about to pass out... not necassarily people I always AGREE with (especially atari) and not even necassarily saying they're my absolute favorites on this board -- but they are people who are genuinely DIFFERENT. That's all I want. I don't want anyone to worship me or to think I am a music god or to even give 2 shits about my taste -- but giving one shit would be nice... that's the point of this board, right? To agree and disagree and so on. Too many people on here just listen to what thurston has to say or what pitchforkmedia has to say. It's sad but true. And there's not anything necasarily wrong with the obvious or the familiar -- but if that's all you know, that's fucked up. Here, let me do everyone a favor: www.slsknet.org ... www.last.fm ... www.myspace.com ... go on, find some crazy new bands no one's ever heard of! Share with us! Put a little description so we know if it's something we think is worth checking out! Also, go to www.netflix.com or www.imdb.com and check out some crazy new movies! Explore other countries... other schools of thought. Go to amazon.com and find some crazy new books. You know? Just do something different. That's the reason I'm slowly leaning towards not posting here anymore. I post over on the noisefanatics.com board and while they're all pretty much just noise nerds (which I'm not -- I mainly post to the Misc and Movies section), they're all happy, healthy, informative, receptive, and most of all DIFFERENT. I just have seen an overall decline in this board for the past few months. People that don't notice it haven't been here for 7 years like I have. About a 3rd of my life! THat's insane. It has taken up HOURS of my life! Maybe days.. weeks? I dunno. I hate to say all this, because I truely love this board, even its warts. I just can't stand single-mindedness... I can't stand the people on here who love everything sonic youth and side projects have done, just because it's sonic youth or related... sonic youth has recorded some awful shit! That's like me saying Beefheart, my favorite musician in the world, never recorded a bad song; he has two awful albums! It's okay to not like things! This group-think mentality just bothers me. I guess you'll get that anywhere but it's become obvious here over the past year. "You're not a real sonic youth fan if you don't like rather ripped!" That album is terrible! Either way, regardless of that, most of the people who I'm good friends with on this board hardly ever post, or stopped posting for good recently. I'm basically staying here for just a few people who give a fuck. This post won't change anything, and I doubt anyone even read it. It's just how I feel. I'm obviously an asshole or an idiot for wishing people opened their minds more. If I was really an "elitist" I wouldn't share any of my knowledge with anyone.
I'd keep all these treasures to myself. The biggest problem people have with me, and the biggest reason some other people like me, is that I'm informed about a few things. It's pretty interesting. Jealousy and admiration go hand in hand. It's not something I am bothered by either way, as my status on this board doesn't mean anything to me. Just the other day, I burned a whole spindle (50... actually, 48, because I had used 2 before that) of CD-R's for a friend, which took hours. I doubt he listens to or will enjoy ALL I burnt for him, but I just wanted to give him something he might enjoy. Again, I'm obviously an asshole or an idiot for that. Well, fuck anyone that thinks that. I've never felt like I was better than anyone here. Sure, I'm smarter than some people, but fuck, some people are GENIUSES compared to me! I dunno. I really love this board, it usually makes me happy, but I used to see 3 or 4 new pages every time I opened up the New Posts thing.. now I'm lucky to see a "Page 2" after not opening it up for 24 hours! With more posts and more posters, there are more entertaining things, more opinions, more knowledge. I guess I just seek knowledge and wonder why other people don't do the same... And we DO only live once, so I'm trying to make the best of it. It genuinely pains me at times to think of all the great shit I'm missing out on or have missed out on... but I still have 40+ years left, probably, so I'm going to make the best of it.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.09.2008, 10:10 AM   #4102
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
I do agree with you yeah. I'm also not a fan of people on the board who just post in the Non-Sonics board and never in the music forums... it's a music forum technically afterall, so I don't get that mentality. I like nearly everyone on here though, so I'm not calling anyone out.

And to the VHS thing, yeah I don't have a job so I only really get money at christmas and birthdays etc. and VHS tapes are a lot cheaper than DVDS which is another point. Why spend £10 on a new DVD when I can buy a VHS for a penny? I hate paying for stuff that isn't worth the money. And right now, I've completely went off buying CDs. I just... don't see the point anymore. I used to be real into the collecting side of it but someone with a few hundred more CDs than me isn't a bigger fan of music than I am. That's a load of bollocks.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.09.2008, 10:14 AM   #4103
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I still buy cd's of bands I really like, but I've been using my music money to see bands and to buy shit from them personally.

I love VHS. My preferred format, but... you know, with the magnets in them, they won't be around for forever. DVD's.. well.. they may not last forever, but yeah. You can DVD's for super cheap now, because of blu-ray and all that nonsense. I just re-bought Hard Boiled for $6 on DVD. Two discs... it replaced my worn VHS copy, which was like $4 when I bought it last year. But yeah, amazon is amazing, you can get a lot of VHS tapes for a fucking penny! At this point, I'm just going to replace all the films I love with DVD and keep all the VHS I have that are movies that aren't available on DVD (because a lot that I have aren't and probably never will be) and maybe just keep a few sentimental favorites.. but I'm getting rid of everything else, because with netflix and on-demand and watch-movies.net and so on, it's not like it's going to be hard to re-watch a LOT of those old movies whenever I want to anyway..

Old 11.09.2008, 10:19 AM   #4104
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, I still buy stuff from obscure bands I love and I still go see bands live.

And in the end I think, all formats will be unusable eventually, so I'm not too worried.
Old 11.09.2008, 02:12 PM   #4105
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
the hellbenders
not great... carbucci did much better with django and the great silence

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.09.2008, 03:41 PM   #4106
Derek
invito al cielo

Finally got round to watching Tetsuo: The Iron Man

Man, it was insane. I have NO IDEA what rating I'd give it.
Old 11.09.2008, 05:04 PM   #4107
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Yeah. It's one of my favorite films ever. Come to think of it, I've probably watched it more than any other film.

Old 11.09.2008, 05:08 PM   #4108
Derek
invito al cielo

In retrospect, I'd PROBABLY give it a 10/10. But I'll really need to watch it a few more times.
Old 11.10.2008, 08:27 AM   #4109
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Adam: Get Les Baxter's score for THE DUNWICH HORROR.
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.10.2008, 08:28 AM   #4110
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

??? Where, how, why, etc???

Old 11.10.2008, 08:36 AM   #4111
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
hahaha. I'm sorry. I read yr whole big rant up there. And I actually agreed with a lot of what you said. (I dnt think RR is bad, but I think In The Fishtank 9 is pretty unlistenable). Anyway. When you said the thing about exposing each other to something different, I dnt know why but the first record that popped into my head was DUNWICH HORROR by Baxter. It's just because it was the first "easy listening" album I ever heard that blew my mind and made me a strange collector of mood/lounge/exotica or whatever. But regardless. The main score melody is stunning. The orchestration is ridiculous. And the drums are like 20 years ahead of their time. So I just wanted to say, check it out. And maybe don't stop posting here. I dnt think yr a music god or anything. And in fact, a long time ago I thought you were a jerk. And often I disagree with yr tastes. But on the flip side, you've exposed me to a lot of good stuff too. And I know yr always honest. And I'll take that over a handful of elitists on here who I generally just ignore.
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.10.2008, 09:10 AM   #4112
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Sweet, getting it now on soulseek!!

Glad you read my rant... I appreciate that.

Old 11.10.2008, 09:54 AM   #4113
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
adam, you and i usually agree on a few things. there are still somethings that i dont agree with you on. but i usually chack out things you recomend. youve exposed me and a lot of people to really great shit over the years. ive seen plenty of movies and heard many an album based on your recomendations. and most of the time it has been brilliant. so thanks.

btw did you ever check out that climax golden twins album?

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.10.2008, 04:50 PM   #4114
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses

9/10
my g/f had never seen it. I love this movie. It is a very black/dark comedy about a man flipping out, and I have loved it since I first saw it almost two decades ago. Nick Cage is fucking awesome crazy in this.

anyone else seen it?
Old 11.10.2008, 04:51 PM   #4115
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark

paprika - 8/10

I love love love the PARADE!
Old 11.10.2008, 04:57 PM   #4116
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses

!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.10.2008, 05:09 PM   #4117
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

9/10
my g/f had never seen it. I love this movie. It is a very black/dark comedy about a man flipping out, and I have loved it since I first saw it almost two decades ago. Nick Cage is fucking awesome crazy in this.

anyone else seen it?

Ive always wanted to but havent yet. Never knew if it would actually be any good. (I have a nicolas cage crush)
Old 11.10.2008, 05:10 PM   #4118
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses

Old 11.10.2008, 05:21 PM   #4119
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix
Ive always wanted to but havent yet. Never knew if it would actually be any good. (I have a nicolas cage crush)

It is Cage at his most warped, back when he was coked out for years straight. It is a "disturbing" comedy, and Cage plays a very unsympathetic character. If you see it, note the odd similarities with what Christian bale did with his "American Psycho" character...
Old 11.10.2008, 05:21 PM   #4120
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I read all yr post atsonicpark. it hits home.
156196203204205 206 2072082092162563067061206 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth