Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Kim Gordon and Thurston Moore Announce Split
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.16.2011, 08:58 AM   #141
Alan ciccone
bad moon rising

Alan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's asses
i feel quite sickened today. Working (with a headcold) on some college work at home and have Sonic Youth playing all the time. Did the obligatory Facebook update with my frustrations about The possible Splitting up of the band and no one cares. Guess it brings home how niche they still are. I remember people moaning online about Amy Winehouse dying earlier this year or the worldwide eulogies for Steve Jobs. Sonic Youth ending is possibly the worst news regarding interests and things I love I can ever remember.
Alan ciccone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2011, 10:23 AM   #142
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses
shocked.
sad news.
very sad.

Bal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2011, 10:25 AM   #143
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Yeah, but would you care to explain why Kim Gordon would be the one who has to leave the band in these ridiculous speculations of yours? Is she a less talented member of it?

Is Kim Less talented than Steve, Lee, and Thurston?

Of course she is. She's wonderful, and she makes the band, but as a musician she's not even in the same game, let alone league, let alone ballpark.
Sorry.

I love her, and worship her, and her voice can bring me to tears, but I've seen them live enough to know that she's not a particularly gifted musician. Her contributions are more aesthetic and thematic and lyrical.

She's not less talented, I guess- but she's not talented in the same way. Thurston, Steve and Lee are all expert, top-shelf musicians- some of the best in the business.

N offense Kim. You're an extraordinarily talented woman. I'm just talking about sheer musical accuracy right now. Your artistic talent knows no bounds.
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2011, 10:53 AM   #144
raycharlescansee
little trouble girl

raycharlescansee cold hard suckaraycharlescansee cold hard suckaraycharlescansee cold hard suckaraycharlescansee cold hard suckaraycharlescansee cold hard suckaraycharlescansee cold hard suckaraycharlescansee cold hard suckaraycharlescansee cold hard suckaraycharlescansee cold hard suckaraycharlescansee cold hard suckaraycharlescansee cold hard sucka
Horrible news.
Old 10.16.2011, 11:40 AM   #145
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
what kind of pressure must the other two felt to have so many people invested in Kim and Thurston's marriage to support the band.

STEVE: they're yelling again....
LEE: *bites nails*
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2011, 11:41 AM   #146
max
expwy. to yr skull

max kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's asses
yes Bal. indeed. and yes Alan. the world is dull.
Old 10.16.2011, 11:42 AM   #147
max
expwy. to yr skull

max kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's asses
floating, I think it's the other way around. it's not the marriage that supports the band. it's just it's clear that with both of them maybe not wanting to see each other, I hardly see them rehearsing. but then again, THE RAMONES taught us all something in that regard...
Old 10.16.2011, 12:34 PM   #148
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Watchin the ramones live in their last years was fucking horrible. Sloppy muddy no tightness as a band. Like last time I saw motorhead. Fucking mailing it in. SY never hit that bullshit and hopefully never will.

I really don't understand the surprise. If you read the lyrics of the last few lp's
Or thurston's soft folk shit
Old 10.16.2011, 12:44 PM   #149
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Noisefield

Of course she is. She's wonderful, and she makes the band, but as a musician she's not even in the same game, let alone league, let alone ballpark.
Sorry.

I love her, and worship her, and her voice can bring me to tears, but I've seen them live enough to know that she's not a particularly gifted musician. Her contributions are more aesthetic and thematic and lyrical.

She's not less talented, I guess- but she's not talented in the same way. Thurston, Steve and Lee are all expert, top-shelf musicians- some of the best in the business.

N offense Kim. You're an extraordinarily talented woman. I'm just talking about sheer musical accuracy right now. Your artistic talent knows no bounds.

Aesthetic/thematic/lyrical...all of these concepts are important. Kim adds a key ingredient that could not be replaced. They all do. Each member adds something to the pot and that is what makes them Sonic Youth. Her lyrics are some of the best. And yeah, her bass playing might be simplistic (Thurston's guitar playing might be outrageously creative at times, but seldom is it anything complex. And yes, I tend to prefer "creative" to "complex") but it's an important factor in holding down what the rest of the band is doing. I'm positive not just anyone could come along and do what Kim does. Your comments are a bit unnecessary. Thats fine though, unnecessary posts are often some of my favorites.
Old 10.16.2011, 12:46 PM   #150
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

I really don't understand the surprise. If you read the lyrics of the last few lp's

agreed. it was a bit when I first heard the news, but yeah...after actually thinking about it for a bit not so much.
Old 10.16.2011, 12:47 PM   #151
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

yeah dood, I listened to Demolished Thoughts...and well..never bothered with it ever again....so I wouldn't know. about his pussy-fest lyrics
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2011, 01:06 PM   #152
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I seriously feel like crying.
Old 10.16.2011, 02:14 PM   #153
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Noisefield

Sorry.

You're an idiot. One of the many idiots they picked up as fans over the years.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2011, 02:20 PM   #154
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
E. Noisefield praised her in several lines. He just said that in one area, she might struggle. That is just a strengths and weaknesses observation.

E.N. also said that 'she makes the band' which is the highest compliment.

What E.N. said was valid.
Old 10.16.2011, 02:21 PM   #155
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses

Aesthetic/thematic/lyrical...all of these concepts are important. Kim adds a key ingredient that could not be replaced. They all do. Each member adds something to the pot and that is what makes them Sonic Youth

agreed!
Old 10.16.2011, 02:26 PM   #156
HECKLER SPRAY
invito al cielo

HECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's asses
The World is in a really bad way...
Let's see what will happen, hope it's not the end of this great band.
Maybe they're going through a bad patch (just like Thurston's folk shit), hope they will stand the test and keep on playing toghether, no matter their split/divorce.
Damn, I didn't expect this shit to happen.

HECKLER SPRAY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2011, 02:32 PM   #157
monostereo
empty page

monostereo has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
whine whine whine.
don't you belive in progress ?
monostereo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2011, 02:36 PM   #158
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanaldoNecro
E. Noisefield praised her in several lines. He just said that in one area, she might struggle. That is just a strengths and weaknesses observation.

E.N. also said that 'she makes the band' which is the highest compliment.

What E.N. said was valid.

do women who play music give you a headache or you're just retarded? I think you're just a retard.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2011, 03:29 PM   #159
jnic
little trouble girl

jnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's asses
I for one hope and believe this will not bring the death of Sonic Youth.
There are other married then divorced musicians who have had groups together and make it work. Sam Coomes and Janet Weiss from Portland come to my mind first.
This is shocking news to say the least.
jnic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2011, 04:07 PM   #160
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
do women who play music give you a headache or you're just retarded? I think you're just a retard.

Who said this a woman/man issue?
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth