Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page What TV are you watching (live, dvd, etc.)?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.17.2017, 11:44 AM   #1381
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
My favourite Dr was Tom Baker. Most of his stories are available on DVD through the BBC. Before the reboot it never really worked in terms of seasons but on individual stories (usually 2-4 episodes long)

Some Baker-era classics worth hunting out are

Genesis of the Daleks
Ark in Space
Pyramids of Mars
Seeds of Doom
The Brain of Morbius

Some non-Baker but still very good

The Curse of Fenric - McCoy (a terrible Dr but a great story)
Caves of Androzani - Davidson (regularly tops polls as the best story ever. Not sure about that but it is very good)
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2017, 11:50 AM   #1382
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
the title "genesis of the daleks" souns just about right to start

gonna guess "ark in space" refers to the tardis so that might be a good intro

alright! gonna go fishing in the pond that is netflix. thanks!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2017, 12:50 PM   #1383
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
so dull....
Old 07.17.2017, 01:04 PM   #1384
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
so dull....
ha ha

so troll!
Old 07.17.2017, 01:06 PM   #1385
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
many sci fi and fantasy fans are DORKS, like GRADE-A, cannot talk to a girl, cannot even be in the same room as a cute girl for fear of shitting their own pants, and they HATE that women have that power over them so they HATE when strong awesome women are brought into their magical make believe fandom worlds. maybe?

It takes all kinds. Come on, you're playing to a stereotype, one that itself has been played up in movies and television. I think that's a surface level perspective. From the posts I've read by complainers, its less a nerdy, lonely guy thing and just the lame, type of PMS jokes, or women can't drive cars let alone a Tardis level sexism, but as I've said, there have been pop culture heroines that have broke through in the world of sci-fi. Sure, there is always going to be pushback to something different. If they casted a black actor you'd get the small amount but vocal racists in the fandom.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2017, 01:09 PM   #1386
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
the sidekick thing, I dunno. You're right. That could be a one-step-forward-two-steps-back kind of thing. And I don't rightly know what to think right now. As long as they don't make it a female Doctor with a female sidekick a la Rose, for whom things get ever so slightly saucy. That would be just too much, and would push me past my limit. I have some issues with the homosexual tokenism that is now pretty common on TV. Often, these token characters just reinforce really crap stereotypes despite their purported intent of shattering glass ceilings.

(If you've seen the mandated 1 gay/1 lesbian per show hijinx of shows like Arrow, Flash, Supergiel and Legends of Tomorrow, you'll know what I mean. Those gay caricatures in capes do nothing to leave stereotypes behind.)

Blah!

I'd rather, instead of them finding a woman to play the Doctor, just because, that they'd have held out for the right woman, say Tilda Swinton or Helena Bonham Carter. Either of those would've really brought something new to the role, besides just their vaginas. The other problem with going with Jodie Whittaker is if she doesn't work out it'll only make it harder for there to be another woman Dr in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
the title "genesis of the daleks" souns just about right to start

gonna guess "ark in space" refers to the tardis so that might be a good intro

alright! gonna go fishing in the pond that is netflix. thanks!

Ark in Space is more just a one off great SF story that anyone could enjoy without any knowledge of bigger themes within the series. The Ark itself doesn't refer to the Tardis.

For getting into those big themes I'd recommend Genesis as a way into the Daleks. It also introduces Davros.
The really vital (and most complex) one, though, is The Master: the Dr's arch enemy. As a way into 'him' I'd recommend The Deadly Assassin (also from the Baker era).

Watch those two and you're pretty much good to go. Although in reality, you could watch any story in any order and not exactly feel lost.
Old 07.17.2017, 01:13 PM   #1387
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

alright, great, and thanks again! baker is the doctor i'd spot on pbs back in the 90s. i recognize his face and he had white hair (longest stint in the role, i read).

so netflix has the dr whos sorted by story after all. gonna look for those.
Old 07.17.2017, 01:20 PM   #1388
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
i recognize his face and he had white hair

Hmm not sure about white hair.

Were you thinking about William Hartnell:

or John Pertwee?

Tom Baker was the one with the curly hair and the long scarf

Old 07.17.2017, 01:31 PM   #1389
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

okay, i saw both pertwee and baker and i think i confused both their faces ha ha ha. i thought the one was the older version of the other. bha ha haa.

SO. genesis on the daleks is not on netflix, but i've queued up an earlier story, THE DALEK INVASION OF EARTH.

it's from 1964 and not your favorite doctor and *i know it's gonna be clunky as fuck and look like shit* but i'm willing to go for the archeology of the thing. it's the earliest dalek title i could find available.

i did find ARK IN SPACE though! i've queued it up also. and THE DEADLY ASSASSIN as well. 1974 + 1976.
Old 07.18.2017, 12:14 AM   #1390
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Just read the planned synopsis for episode one of the new series. Apparently the new doctor crashes the TARDIS looking for a parking space then gets in a mood.
Old 07.18.2017, 01:31 AM   #1391
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Just read the planned synopsis for episode one of the new series. Apparently the new doctor crashes the TARDIS looking for a parking space then gets in a mood.

Dun-dun-TISH!

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2017, 11:47 AM   #1392
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I'd rather, instead of them finding a woman to play the Doctor, just because, that they'd have held out for the right woman, say Tilda Swinton or Helena Bonham Carter. Either of those would've really brought something new to the role, besides just their vaginas. The other problem with going with Jodie Whittaker is if she doesn't work out it'll only make it harder for there to be another woman Dr in the future.

Hmm... Helena, huh? That's actually pretty goddamn great casting! Though honestly I think the gal who payed Missy is what started all of this. She is EXCELLENT. They should have had Capaldo regenerate as her, now that she's a dude again or whatever (haven't finished current season, so NO SPOILERS )

Quote:
Ark in Space is more just a one off great SF story that anyone could enjoy without any knowledge of bigger themes within the series. The Ark itself doesn't refer to the Tardis.

For getting into those big themes I'd recommend Genesis as a way into the Daleks. It also introduces Davros.
The really vital (and most complex) one, though, is The Master: the Dr's arch enemy. As a way into 'him' I'd recommend The Deadly Assassin (also from the Baker era).

Watch those two and you're pretty much good to go. Although in reality, you could watch any story in any order and not exactly feel lost.

^^ Listen to the man. He knows more about early Doctor than I do by far.

Tom Baker was THE Doctor, at least until Tennant beat him in some BBC poll of all-time favorites. Now I think the two are orettt much tied for significance, but make no mistake, Baker is the dude. And yes, likely the one you'd remember from PBS as a kid.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2017, 11:48 AM   #1393
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

That's either a hilarious joke or a terrifying reality.
Old 07.18.2017, 11:51 AM   #1394
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
okay, i saw both pertwee and baker and i think i confused both their faces ha ha ha. i thought the one was the older version of the other. bha ha haa.

SO. genesis on the daleks is not on netflix, but i've queued up an earlier story, THE DALEK INVASION OF EARTH.

it's from 1964 and not your favorite doctor and *i know it's gonna be clunky as fuck and look like shit* but i'm willing to go for the archeology of the thing. it's the earliest dalek title i could find available.

i did find ARK IN SPACE though! i've queued it up also. and THE DEADLY ASSASSIN as well. 1974 + 1976.

Netflix used to have EVERYTHING. It was AWESOME. From the first episode to the most recent season of the 2004- show (excluding, perhaps, the 1996 TV-movie which I haven't seen which features fucking ERIC ROBERTS!) A couple of years back they removed everything but the reboots, and it pissed me the fuck off.

Eta: Oh yah, you do DVD, not steaming. So they probably still have "classic" Who available that way. And if you're starting with early episodes, keep in mind how little funding they had, and how they faced a challenge in transforming one soundstage into the entire universe. They became quite good at it actually, and the show's writing had to rise to the occasion as a result.

There is certainly a lot to be gained from watching those early episodes.

Just don't stop with the new ones!
Old 07.18.2017, 01:50 PM   #1395
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

the old stuff is in discs yeah

but amazon has all the new shit to stream, and that's where im getting it

streaming is great for convenience, but mail has more titles due to the first-sale doctrine which precludes the need to negotiate rental rights

ETA: you could rent "britbox" for a month and watch all 600 or so episodes. quite the marathon: http://sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthr...=40798&page=71
Old 07.18.2017, 02:01 PM   #1396
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

lol sorry that was the wrong link
Old 07.18.2017, 02:02 PM   #1397
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Doctor Huh?
Old 07.18.2017, 02:10 PM   #1398
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

uh-huh...
Old 07.18.2017, 02:12 PM   #1399
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

anyway here's the link ha ha ha http://nerdist.com/classic-doctor-wh...ing-exclusive/
Old 07.18.2017, 02:13 PM   #1400
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Literotica has quite a lot of slash fiction abut the Good Doctor..... https://tags.literotica.com/doctor%20who
60676869 70 71727380120170 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth