Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page RECORDED MUSIC vs. LIVE MUSIC
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.24.2007, 09:52 AM   #21
Georgekrz
stalker

Georgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's asses
I vote Live Music. However, I live in NYC so I'm spoiled for choice. Probably 99 percent of the way I experience music is by going to live shows. Records are more of a way to support the artists I go to see. I buy them, but rarely actually listen to them. Don't have an Ipod either.
Georgekrz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.24.2007, 09:57 AM   #22
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
As some as said I think it depends on the musician/band. For instance Tim Buckley was good, or even great in the studio, but live he took another dimension (cf the brilliant "Dream letter live in London 1968", "Peel sessions" or "Live at the Troubadour").
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.24.2007, 10:01 AM   #23
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
The other way around, Bob Dylan has put out great studio records but live he generally sucks (apart from some shows in the mid-60s, like in the "live in 1966 Albert Royal Hall" from the Bootleg series).
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.24.2007, 10:46 AM   #24
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Against1
The smaller the venue the better the live show.

I tend to think so , too. I guess 50 people is fine.

One day , I was in a pub ; the people around were : me , a guy , drunk and/or asleep , the barman and a jazz band performing.

As nobody was giving a shit about them , I took a chair and sat in front of them , trying my best to be the audience on my own , applauding at the end of each song.
That was a rather uncomfortable and ridiculous situation.
An audience needs at least 2 people , I suppose.
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.24.2007, 12:20 PM   #25
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
I prefer records of recorded live performances.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.24.2007, 02:00 PM   #26
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by daydream
Okay,

I'm writing an editorial piece for a magazine on the debate over whether recorded or live music has the edge, and I'm honestly after everyone's thoughts here, given that the people that frequent this place tend to be some of the most musically opinionated and open-minded characters I'm likely to interact with on any given day. I'm not going for shameless self-promotion shit here - I won't even name the mag.

SO, that said, what does it for you? What would you rather have, when it's all said and done? The performance on record or the show? I'll come right out and say I'd rather listen to albums than go see people play. The experience - seeing people play live - usually leaves me underwhelmed. Even seeing SY play DDN live left me longing to hear the record.

What... about... you...?

I prefer live recordings myself. you get the best of both worlds. however, in the raw, live music is ALWAYS preferable to recorded. but then again, I play music, so of course live music is my preference. I think your question is best asked in this form:

which is more preferable, going to a dancehall to see a live band, or going to a dancehall to listen to people spin records. it sounds like you prefer the records... I-man prefer the live music, as it has life! but as I said, with Live recordings you get the best of both worlds.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.24.2007, 02:03 PM   #27
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
I've had trouble getting into quiet, subtle songs live because of the buzz of the audience. My ears can't tune them out. The audience chatter becomes part of the song, which is unfortunate. (e.g.-the only Shins song I really like is New Slang. When I saw them live, however good their performance, the audience of, say 1000 or so, ruined any chance for me to be moved by the song by talking through it.)

Audience chatter has ruined a few loud shows as well. The guy behind me who yells, "I got to take a piss," in the middle of an SY freak-out is sure to take me out of the moment.

I've often tracked down recordings of shows I've seen, so I can listen to the band w/out as much background noise from the crowd. I'm usually pleased, but then I wonder why I bothered to go to the live performance to begin with.

I'd like to go to a show where everyone gets earphones that connect to the soundboard. Or, perhaps a show where everyone is gagged with duct tape. Both, ideally.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.24.2007, 04:44 PM   #28
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
it baffles me as to why anyone would choose recorded over live
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.24.2007, 06:21 PM   #29
daydream
little trouble girl

daydream kicks all y'all's assesdaydream kicks all y'all's assesdaydream kicks all y'all's assesdaydream kicks all y'all's assesdaydream kicks all y'all's assesdaydream kicks all y'all's assesdaydream kicks all y'all's assesdaydream kicks all y'all's assesdaydream kicks all y'all's assesdaydream kicks all y'all's assesdaydream kicks all y'all's asses
Records are artistic statements whereas shows are just performances of those statements, right? Unless you're talking about improv.
daydream is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.24.2007, 08:43 PM   #30
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Records are artistic statements whereas shows are just performances of those statements, right?

so a song counts as an artistic statement if it gets recorded, but not if it doesn't? and performing a song in studio doesn't count as a performance of a statement? and if a song gets performed live before it gets recorded, does the record still count as an artistic statement? what about music that was created or played before the advent of recording?
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.24.2007, 10:22 PM   #31
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Records are artistic statements whereas shows are just performances of those statements, right? Unless you're talking about improv.

no, not necessarily. the way in which music is performed live is equally if not more so an artistic statement and specific creative process. also the way in which a set list is chosen and songs played into and out of each other sets another artistic mood entirely then just act of a record. in other words, no, records are performances of records. sometimes they are artistic events unto themselves. you cant dance, pit or sing along terribly out of tune to your record player at home.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.25.2007, 01:08 AM   #32
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Rhys Chatham
I prefer records of recorded live performances.

That's one thing I don't dig - live recordings. I mean, I love old live stuff, like, Jimi is an exception, a huge exception - I love his live stuff. But most live recordings quite bore me. Even if the band are great, the recordings rarely show the energy the show contained, which is more due to the audio.
Old 12.25.2007, 04:21 PM   #33
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
kinda off topic, but side two of my war ranks as high as any of their greatest moments, in my opinion.

I always assert that is one of my alltime favorite lp sides! But the 2nd OM album has kind of superceded that I think

As someone who has recorded live music for years sometimes with very good gear I tell you recordings never match the live sound. A studio recording serves (or should serve) a different purpose than a live set. But what you hear never quite gets recorded (or is it the reverse), even with digital.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.25.2007, 04:22 PM   #34
gpw_sucks
empty page

gpw_sucks has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
==================
gpw_sucks is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.25.2007, 04:35 PM   #35
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
I always assert that is one of my alltime favorite lp sides! But the 2nd OM album has kind of superceded that I think

As someone who has recorded live music for years sometimes with very good gear I tell you recordings never match the live sound. A studio recording serves (or should serve) a different purpose than a live set. But what you hear never quite gets recorded (or is it the reverse), even with digital.

Maybe I'm repeating what you wrote (I got confused near the end), but: what you say about recorded shows never equaling the performance applies to studio recordings, as well. Neil Young has been complaining for years that the sound in the studio never makes it on to the album. It becomes something different, and is never a true mirror of the studio sound. Not sure that's good or bad. Just is.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2007, 12:53 AM   #36
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
You know there is a point in discussing such massive generalities that you end up not saying anything at all. Both mediums can impart transcendent brilliance, both can make you regret money spent. I'm not trying to be wishy-washy. I've seen bands blow away venues but suck recorded and I've heard studio brilliance fail on the stage.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2007, 01:01 AM   #37
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69

class class post.

and to complement the last part: in like half the cases, digital does even less for capturing the performance.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2007, 01:32 AM   #38
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
You know there is a point in discussing such massive generalities that you end up not saying anything at all. Both mediums can impart transcendent brilliance, both can make you regret money spent. I'm not trying to be wishy-washy. I've seen bands blow away venues but suck recorded and I've heard studio brilliance fail on the stage.

I hear that - I once saw Blood Circus blow away both Nirvana and the Butthole Surfers. Obviously that was a one night fluke that no recording could ever prove.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.28.2007, 08:23 AM   #39
sarramkrop

50/50 and no cheating. If you are of the opinion that being a good live band is enough, why would you put mediocre records out? After all, not everyone is going to be able to see you live, so the recorded output assumes more importance, in those cases. There's also plenty of music that doesn't particularly need a live setting to prove its value, so I take that into account when it comes to giving the two listening experiences their respective importance. The whole '4 real' thing is normally something that comes from rockers through and through. Good point, but not necessarily a more valid one than others.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.28.2007, 08:37 AM   #40
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
I haven't bothered to read all the post due to my lethargic state of being at this time of the day, but I always say it depends on the band/artist. If you can perform well consistantly live, then odds are you can lay down some tracks in the studio, I'm not sure if that works the other way around. I mean, you can always do another take or on overdub or what have you in the studio, you have countless things at your disposal, the same isn't true for live music.

So which one is better? Who knows like I say it depends a great deal on the band playing. I will say that jazz and/or most improvised music sounds better live.
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth