Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Teenage Riot
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.01.2011, 03:53 PM   #81
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

hevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYRFox
I don't even know why I'm still arguing with you

Because you aren't making very good points. Playing drums takes a tremendous amount more talent and musical ability than someone who only knows how to use a drum machine. I would NEVER call someone who only knows how to use a drum machine a drummer or musician but to each his own. I guess your standards are lower than mine. You think pressing play on a computer is the equivalent of knowing how to play an instrument; insane!
hevusa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2011, 04:27 PM   #82
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevusa
Because you aren't making very good points. Playing drums takes a tremendous amount more talent and musical ability than someone who only knows how to use a drum machine. I would NEVER call someone who only knows how to use a drum machine a drummer or musician but to each his own. I guess your standards are lower than mine. You think pressing play on a computer is the equivalent of knowing how to play an instrument; insane!
well done you troll
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2011, 04:33 PM   #83
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
HEVUSA IS RIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS! Start playing your own goddamn instruments! What's all this pressing buttons shit, eh?
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2011, 04:45 PM   #84
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
HEVUSA IS RIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS! Start playing your own goddamn instruments! What's all this pressing buttons shit, eh?
man i just decided to pick up my hurdy-gurdy again in order to play street concerts since i realised the music i listened to on cds was not real since if the power got cut out i would not be able to listen to it and the concerts i go to are not made by real musicians since the music would not be heard if the power got cut out so street hurdy-gurdy concerts appear to me as the only way to play and hear real music played by real musician knowwhatimean
Old 02.01.2011, 04:51 PM   #85
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

hevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Why not do both (use samplers and play instruments)? That is what I would encourage.

What is more confusing to me than middle eastern kids digging rock music is why we (america) didn't get a generation of african american singer/song writers inspired by Jimi Hendrix.
Old 02.01.2011, 06:31 PM   #86
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Whatchagonna do?
Old 02.01.2011, 06:41 PM   #87
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYRFox
man i just decided to pick up my hurdy-gurdy again in order to play street concerts since i realised the music i listened to on cds was not real since if the power got cut out i would not be able to listen to it and the concerts i go to are not made by real musicians since the music would not be heard if the power got cut out so street hurdy-gurdy concerts appear to me as the only way to play and hear real music played by real musician knowwhatimean
Same. I'm gonna drum on a child's anus in Oxford Street so hard every person will realise I mean it and I'm for real. How stupid was I before? And you?
Old 02.01.2011, 08:15 PM   #88
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Just as a side-note to the already mentioned reasons Hevusa is an absolute fuckend: if you choose to re-tune your guitar (unless anyone reading happens to be a member of a band I'm going to see on Friday), you're chosing to ignore proper arpeggiation of chords; which is to say, you're undermining any proper understanding of music theory in favour of short-cuts which accentuate a chimerical 'sophistication' over a more a more meaningful understanding of music.

Essentially, everyone here understands what music is, and how to make it, except those who are choosing to limit it to specific, 19th-century ontologies of reproduction which bizarrely limit those ontologies to acoustic/ acousmatic surfaces over abstractions or consequentialist machinations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2011, 11:45 PM   #89
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
if you choose to re-tune your guitar (unless anyone reading happens to be a member of a band I'm going to see on Friday), you're chosing to ignore proper arpeggiation of chords; which is to say, you're undermining any proper understanding of music theory in favour of short-cuts which accentuate a chimerical 'sophistication' over a more a more meaningful understanding of music.

hahaha. you are rich.
Hush, I'm making a collage. I'm an artist.
Old 02.01.2011, 11:57 PM   #90
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Rich in knowledge, yes.

Well. Rich in knowledge by comparison to yourself. Which is a bit like calling a particularly muddy and uninteresting puddle rich.

In monetary terms though, I'd happily stab you with a sharpened tuppence, if I had the means to sharpen a tuppence. And a tuppence to sharpen.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 02.01.2011, 11:59 PM   #91
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
hahaha. you are really clever.
Hush, I'm continuing to be an utter fuckwit

Je m'excuse.

Quote:
Old 02.02.2011, 01:20 AM   #92
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Rich in bullshit, yes.

Over 12,000 gems and still counting...
Old 02.02.2011, 01:20 AM   #93
SYRFox
invito al cielo

Quote:
Same. I'm gonna drum on a child's anus in Oxford Street so hard every person will realise I mean it and I'm for real. How stupid was I before? And you?
Man I feel relieved to finally be able to realise what real music truly is thanks to hevusa. Let's create a real christian acoustic rock band called The Hurdy-Gurdy Child's Anus Real Badmanz and prove anyone that only Hurdy-Gurdy and Children's anus are real musical instruments since they are the only way one can show his coordination and timing and realness even when the power gets cut out;
Old 02.02.2011, 01:26 AM   #94
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

I love when the topic returns to me! Flattered really!
Old 02.02.2011, 08:00 AM   #95
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Coordination and timing to name a few (the list is long). It doesn't take much talent to use a drum machine. But to keep a beat on a drum set, on the other hand, requires actual musical ability. Same idea with samplers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31AFfyPXUKQ if this guy had no co-ordination or timing then it would sound terrible and he's using... *GASP* a sampler?!
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.02.2011, 08:03 AM   #96
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Actually, please don't reply to that. I can predict that the answer will be a loop-holed diatribe.

Why are we continuing to argue with this guy anyway? He doesn't know what he's talking about. End of thread.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.02.2011, 09:09 AM   #97
Glice
invito al cielo

It's relevant to the original point of the thread, methinks - in as far as part of the problem with rock music is that it's attached, for some people, to these antiquated ideologies and idiocies. I feel a bit embarrassed for liking rock music sometimes. It's the least cool thing possible in 2011. I mean, dubstep has its own problems (passing force, arguably) but at least some attractive people like it.

Or rather: rock isn't the preserve of radicalism, it's generally considered archaic and part of the older generation. I mean, I say this as a guitarist myself. I like playing guitar, and do it well, but if I was political in a different way I'd never use my axe to express that.

Quote:
Old 02.02.2011, 09:14 AM   #98
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Did you know the fingering on a clarinet is basically the same as an alto saxophone? So you could probably play one if you ever picked one up. Fun. (I play alto sax).

I played sax in highschool for jazz band. the fingerings are the same from the lowest register of the clarinet but on the sax you just have to hit the register key to change octaves with the clarinet there is a different fingering for each note so the sax is actually a bit easier to adjust toi just don't prefer it's sound.

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.02.2011, 09:17 AM   #99
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Yeah - not as well as I did a few years ago (practice has turned elsewhere lately) but it's good fun. Unfortunately, tone is something that needs more practice than I can seriously give it. Sadface.

tone is everything. i got my old chops back finally now my tone has improved leaps and bounds i am very close to where i want to be with it now. i can FINALLY improv now which is very difficult for a classically trained musician. It is so much more fun than sheet music.

Old 02.02.2011, 09:19 AM   #100
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't alto sax more similiar to flute than clarinet? I played clarinet years ago and I had to learn the fingerings for the alto sax.
The key it is in is similiar. The clarinet is tuned in the key of B flat.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth