Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page A brilliant letter that somebody wrote to The Wire
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.20.2010, 12:54 PM   #21
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
twats!
Old 01.20.2010, 01:04 PM   #22
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I think this just might be a case of displaced anger. Sarramkrop really just wants to dig at this Edwin Pouncey fellow.

Or his parents.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2010, 01:14 PM   #23
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
it should be noted that I'm really just goofing around. My first post about it being boring was really a dig at Keeping It Simple, but...
Old 01.20.2010, 01:15 PM   #24
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I met Pouncey. He was a bit of a cock. His writing's usually quite good though. Except, y'know, the whole off-key references.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2010, 01:17 PM   #25
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I didn't read the article, but I quite liked the part about the whole album constantly referencing that same low-note. It's the sort of observation you would expect from a listener that was being paid to write about the album!
Old 01.20.2010, 01:43 PM   #26
jimbrim
expwy. to yr skull

jimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I met Pouncey. He was a bit of a cock. His writing's usually quite good though. Except, y'know, the whole off-key references.

in what way was he being a cock?
i like his writing, and his savage pencil illustrations and cartoons are great as well
jimbrim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2010, 02:07 PM   #27
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
He was just a sneering, snide little record geek. You know, one of those who'll correct you on every non-important detail of a very general conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2010, 02:19 PM   #28
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
it should be noted that I'm really just goofing around. My first post about it being boring was really a dig at Keeping It Simple, but...
C'mon, don't be a chicken now. Why do you not just admit that the regular amount of neg-rep I administer to your posts cause you to weep like a little girl? It's all in the name of fun, you know?
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2010, 02:24 PM   #29
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
It's all in the name of fun, you know?

This.

I know. And agree. And don't give an F nearly as much as you think.
Old 01.20.2010, 02:28 PM   #30
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Yes yot do. Oh yes! You neg-repped me back.
Old 01.20.2010, 02:29 PM   #31
noisereductions
invito al cielo

correct. But I've also pos-repped you in the past.
Old 01.20.2010, 02:35 PM   #32
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

So what? Do you want me to think that you're less lame because of that? The fact that you care so much about rep is a joy to behold. I so want to to neg-rep you right now, you wouldn't believe it.
Old 01.20.2010, 02:48 PM   #33
noisereductions
invito al cielo

yes, Genteel. That's what I'm aiming for. For you to think I'm less lame. It's not working? Crap.

Seriously, I openly started a thread that was basically inviting everyone to neg-rep me. I really dn't care. Maybe you can convice everyone to neg rep me in your stead? Or you could make some new user names, and neg-rep me with them. Whatever.
Old 01.20.2010, 03:04 PM   #34
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

NO NO NO! I have to be the one. This desire I have to randomly neg-rep your attempts at explaining that you don't care about a little confidence boost is killing me. KILLING ME, I tell you.
Old 01.20.2010, 03:04 PM   #35
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions

And I love you for it.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2010, 03:08 PM   #36
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
NO NO NO! I have to be the one. This desire I have to randomly neg-rep your attempts at explaining that you don't care about a little confidence boost is killing me. KILLING ME, I tell you.

OOOOH! I see now. Okay. Now that you've explained it a little more clearly, I actually think that you're a little less lame.
Old 01.20.2010, 03:16 PM   #37
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

What took you so long?
Old 01.20.2010, 03:24 PM   #38
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i've skimmed over the useless drama that ensued in this thread but i did read and like the original letter and maybe even the responses from the musician in question--- even if i don't know what the fuck is the c minor pentatonic scale (something about missing notes.. something?)

anyway, nice read, makes me want to re-subscribe to the wire even though it costs a fucking mint and i was unable to ever read 1/2 of it-- but the wire tappers were good!

what was i mumbling about... i forget... oh yeah, good read, thanks.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2010, 04:13 PM   #39
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i've skimmed over the useless drama that ensued in this thread but i did read and like the original letter and maybe even the responses from the musician in question--- even if i don't know what the fuck is the c minor pentatonic scale (something about missing notes.. something?)

anyway, nice read, makes me want to re-subscribe to the wire even though it costs a fucking mint and i was unable to ever read 1/2 of it-- but the wire tappers were good!

what was i mumbling about... i forget... oh yeah, good read, thanks.
QUOTE]
Nevermind the useless drama or The Wire, get yourself the record because it's fantastic. I agree with the original letter myself, which I personally don't think is suggesting the record is a bad one, just pointing out that on a purely technical level it doesn't sound like the points of reference the reviewer made the focal point of his review. I mean, I'm far from being an expert musicologist, but when I read the review and played the record at the same time I was wondering what he was going on about. In Pouncey's defence I'd say the letter seems to read a little too harsh condeming what is probably just enthusiasm for a brilliant record gone too far up its own arse. Bill Orcutt himself brings up a good point about influence not always having to be literal or purely musical, even though I think that will only really make more sense to the artist than most other people.
Old 01.20.2010, 04:26 PM   #40
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
I wrote a letter once to the NME complaining about Pete Doherty's lackadaisical cord progressions on his last single "Last of the English Roses". I suggested less D m's and more A 7's.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth