Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page New Aphex Twin album out in a coupleof weeks
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.12.2014, 01:11 PM   #21
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I'm still loving this album. I have only taken it out of my car CD player on two or three occasions since buying the album.

It's taken a while for me to appreciate the fact that the album is more of an "extended-release" high than a fast rush. Many reviewers have made a point of discussing how unlike “Windowlicker” and “Come to Daddy” and SAW2 it is, but the truth is that it's got a little bit of everything in it, and it almost plays out like one long, seamless track that kinda feels like “a brief history of...” all things Aphex Twin. An excellent strategy, considering the fact that the 18-25 demographic (which still makes up a hefty chunk of music buyers) were -- ahh, let's see-- between FIVE and TWELVE years old when Drukqs was released.

So it's a good way to rope in new fans, inspiring them into investigating RDJ's massive back catalogue. It's also a respectful dose of good old fashioned fan-service: SYRO may not feature any obvious “Windowlickeresque” anthem, it certainly captures a similar vibe in fleeting micro moments (the climax of “minipops...” is probably the most obvious example: hell, the chopped vocals sound like they could have been pulled right out of the "'licker" chorus.

The only element of Aphex Twin's legacy that's left out of SYRO is the grinding industrial drum-n-bass horror show of “Come to Daddy.” Thankfully no attempts were made to bring that particularly '90s sound back to life. I have nothing against "Come to Daddy" or
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2014, 08:24 AM   #22
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
It appears Aphex Twin is doing a bit of housecleaning.
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2014, 10:29 AM   #23
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I know!! What a crazy awesome fucling year to be a RDJ junkie!! First we see Caustic Window surface, then it gets insane amounts of press, and probably has at least something to do with the release of SYRO, the first truly new Aphex Twin LP in over a decade. Then SYRO turns out to be one of his best proper LP's, and the hype continues, now this!!

If only all of my favorite artists were cranking out dope shit like Richard.
Old 11.15.2014, 09:44 PM   #24
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
interview, soundcloud tracks, and videos removed. however, some fast moving folks archived them here: http://forum.watmm.com/topic/85676-a...ilable/page-13
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2014, 11:37 AM   #25
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
I've been quite enjoying Syro, obviously not on the same level as his 90s output but still some really good tracks.

On a related note, does anyone else think that Selected Ambient Works Vol II is one of the best albums ever released by anyone ever?
Old 11.23.2014, 12:59 PM   #26
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
It's a great record and it plays like someone who enjoyed making it.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2014, 02:20 PM   #27
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by whorefrost
I've been quite enjoying Syro, obviously not on the same level as his 90s output but still some really good tracks.

On a related note, does anyone else think that Selected Ambient Works Vol II is one of the best albums ever released by anyone ever?

Yay... here... me... I do. SAW2 is a revelation. I definitely believe it's one of the best albums of the '90s and beyond. But I also feel that way about the first volume, even though it's a different animal entirely.

Honestly, there's nothing in the Aphex canon that I don't like, and each one of the proper albums is, as you put it, one of the best released by anyone ever.

DAS'JUS'ME-DOUGH!

Syro reminds me a lot of the Richard D. James Album. It's very melodic and consistently tuneful. Despite its evil smile cover, RDJ sounded like the work of someone who was truly enjoying making music, and the songs reflect that. Syro has a similar feel, and I think that's appropriate.
Old 09.13.2015, 06:20 PM   #28
selkcip
bad moon rising

selkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's asses
https://youtu.be/0nRsbS8_hc4

bonus cup
selkcip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2018, 10:51 PM   #29
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
Syro is magnificent.

The first track on Collapse is also magnificent, but the rest doesn't thrill me.
choc e-Claire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth