Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.24.2021, 03:57 PM   #24901
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i've got a radical feminist friend who detested 2049 on ideological grounds. i spaced out the discussion at the time so i probably couldn't repeat her arguments today, but an online search should throw results.

Well, full spoiler mode for any of the lurkers who might not have seen the movie yet: Ana De Arma's character is fabricated to be the object of Ryan Gosling's (I think his name was K?) desires and the rest of the female representation was either involved in prostitution, evil, bigoted, mainly someone the second protagonist is looking for or absent due to being a fridged formally pregnant macguffin - oh also brought back as a facsimile meant to tempt said second protagonist only to be killed off in an instant again. I wasn't too happy with the representation either. To be fair, a lot of that criticism can be directed towards the prior movie as well. However, I thought it was a bit less over the top and blatant there, barring that one awful scene of course. I guess, I just had some more updated expectations going in, knowing it's a 2017 movie.

Oh, and, maybe I dreamt that up, but wasn't it also hinted at that Deckard and Rachel were sort of destined/programmed to fall in love with each other in the sequel? I mean, wouldn't that completely undermine the humanist approach of the first movie - replicants being able to develop free will, a conscience of their own, if you will?

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.24.2021, 07:18 PM   #24902
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antagon
Well, full spoiler mode for any of the lurkers who might not have seen the movie yet: Ana De Arma's character is fabricated to be the object of Ryan Gosling's (I think his name was K?) desires and the rest of the female representation was either involved in prostitution, evil, bigoted, mainly someone the second protagonist is looking for or absent due to being a fridged formally pregnant macguffin - oh also brought back as a facsimile meant to tempt said second protagonist only to be killed off in an instant again. I wasn't too happy with the representation either. To be fair, a lot of that criticism can be directed towards the prior movie as well. However, I thought it was a bit less over the top and blatant there, barring that one awful scene of course. I guess, I just had some more updated expectations going in, knowing it's a 2017 movie.

Oh, and, maybe I dreamt that up, but wasn't it also hinted at that Deckard and Rachel were sort of destined/programmed to fall in love with each other in the sequel? I mean, wouldn't that completely undermine the humanist approach of the first movie - replicants being able to develop free will, a conscience of their own, if you will?

yeah a bunch of that started to get discussed here

http://sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?p=1349025
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.24.2021, 07:21 PM   #24903
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

http://sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthr...9589&page=1080
Old 03.24.2021, 09:20 PM   #24904
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

http://sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthr...9589&page=1080

I see. That was my off-year.

Anyway, kind of enjoyed it in the theater when it came out, but left somewhat disappointed. Unfortunately, the rewatch only solidified my gripes. Really wanted to like it, but you can't always win. I did like the decision (again: spoilers) ...

to set it in some sort of alternate dimension/timeline though - made all the predicitions for 2019 a bit less ridiculous in hindsight.

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2021, 07:47 AM   #24905
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
You're in good company. A lot of people loved it. For some reason, it didn't quite gel with me. Had high hopes after I had watched Villeneuve's previous movie "Arrival" - which I consider to be a Sci-Fi masterpiece. But somehow, between the disjointed plotlines, major characters that appeared very late and then somehow completely took over the focus of the narrative, sterile futurist architecture under grey skies and Elvis holograms, I found myself baffled. The philosophical humanist approach was certainly still there, but I just didn't quite feel it as strongly as I did in the previous movie (aforementioned terrible scene notwithstanding).

Ok, that Elvis scene absolutely floored me, that was an iconic moment right there. The tension is insane.

I think the tension was one of the best things about the film. And how immersive it was, thanks to that incredible sound design and cinematography.
Of course, it was long, it did meander a bit, and it did “subvert expectations,” but I’m glad it did. If the whole thing was just a longer, slower retreat of the first movie, I would have been disappointed. The result was a pretty powerful “side quest” that provided even more context for the replicants and their collective motivations.

Also, I believe they thought there would be a third film at the time. Sadly, it kinda tanked at the box office (why did anyone ever expect a hard-R-rated 3-plus hour sequel to a cult classic to be a Star Wars-level event for anyone other than nerds like me?) so they may have designed the arc with that in mind.
It feels like it sets up a third volume that pits the machines against the Wallace/Tyrell directly.

But I’m not sure we needed a “War for the Planet of the Replicants,” so I’m OK with it just being one amazing film and one amazing sequel.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2021, 08:18 AM   #24906
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian

Also, I believe they thought there would be a third film at the time. Sadly, it kinda tanked at the box office (why did anyone ever expect a hard-R-rated 3-plus hour sequel to a cult classic to be a Star Wars-level event for anyone other than nerds like me?) so they may have designed the arc with that in mind.

Exactly what they're expecting with Dune. That film/s is going to barely recuperate it's budget. I'll be there with bells on watching it, mind.

Gotta agree with Sev on 2049 too. A great watch is every way.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2021, 08:21 AM   #24907
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
I see. That was my off-year.

that's the nice thing about message boards, we can just pick up where we left off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
But I’m not sure we needed a “War for the Planet of the Replicants,”
haaaaaaahaaaaaahaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaa!!!! exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Exactly what they're expecting with Dune. That film/s is going to barely recuperate it's budget. I'll be there with bells on watching it, mind.

Gotta agree with Sev on 2049 too. A great watch is every way.

i wanna see dune. when is it coming out?

and for sure i wanna see 2049 again... overdue

i might need to buy a new tv for it though lolololololololol (i won't, but it's a very demanding movie in the visual side of things)
Old 03.25.2021, 08:37 AM   #24908
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
It was meant to be out last November or so but has been put back. Something about a pandemic or something. I dunno I wasn't paying attention.

It's now due to be released this October.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2021, 08:44 AM   #24909
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

october! hell yeah i'm going to the movies... should be worth the wait
Old 03.27.2021, 01:56 PM   #24910
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Enter The Dragon.
Old 03.27.2021, 07:27 PM   #24911
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

cyborg

easily one of THE WORST movies ever, but sort of perfect if you know what you're looking for
Old 03.27.2021, 07:44 PM   #24912
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
The Bridge Over The River Kwai.

It's madness.
Old 03.28.2021, 08:06 PM   #24913
Skuj
invito al cielo

Vertigo.
Old 03.28.2021, 10:04 PM   #24914
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

ended up rewatching miller's crossing. i liked it as usual, but it's not the best cohen bros movie. the best one... comes later. maybe fargo (hilarious) maybe no country (heavy).
Old 03.29.2021, 08:00 AM   #24915
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
ended up rewatching miller's crossing. i liked it as usual, but it's not the best cohen bros movie. the best one... comes later. maybe fargo (hilarious) maybe no country (heavy).

It’s down to Fargo, No Country, or Barton Fink, I think.
The best of the black comedy Coens, the best of the intense crime-noir Coens, and the best of the abstract Coens, respectively.
Old 03.29.2021, 10:32 AM   #24916
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

i never really got into barton fink but otoh raising arizona has me rofl every time so that would be my 3rd pick even though i recognize/acknowledge it's not in any kind of lofty heights of intellect but it's just great.

Old 03.29.2021, 11:56 AM   #24917
Severian
invito al cielo

Promising Young Woman.

Hell of a film, I’ll say that. Left me feeling pissed off and sad. It could have been improved in some ways, I think, but overall it’s an important watch.
Old 03.29.2021, 10:40 PM   #24918
HenryHill51
little trouble girl

HenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's asses
Few recently watched:

1. Bloody Kids (1980)- Stephen Frears' film about two young boys (Richard Thomas and Peter Clark) surging through the nocturnal wasteland of new-wave dead end Essex, England after a prank goes horribly wrong is a masterpiece of anarchic energy. With a propulsive soundtrack that swaggers from inspired spaghetti-western theatrics to thudding heavy metal and a camera that swoops and glides around its characters with breathless energy, "Bloody Kids" captivates from the very opening. It only gets better when one of the young boys hooks up with a group of older men and women (led by the manics of Gary Holton) and the film sinks into an orgy of anti-establishment nose thumbing and petty criminality. Made for television and released in 1980, this is a film that deserves a rediscovery for its nervy ambition in representing the nihilistic attitude of punk rock Britain in the late 70's. For the record, the cops (and supposed adults) in this film don't get off easily either.

2. Papa, the Little Boats (1974) - One of four Nelly Kaplan films available on the Criterion channel. Psycho-sexual deception as screwball comedy. Not as good (or biting) as her previous assault on the bourgeoisie, "A Very Curious Girl".

3. Dear Comrades! (2020) - Andrei Konchalovskiy, now in his 80's, is probably best remembered for his long ago Hollywood action hits like "Runaway Train" and "Tango & Cash". With this film, he retraces the appalling tragedy when Russian soldiers opened fire on a protesting factory group. The violence is swift and shocking, and its black and white cinematography adds a layer of grace to the whole affair.

4. The Taste of Violence (1961) - One of my favorite directors to discover over the past few years has been actor-director Robert Hossein. Producing a string of low-key thrillers and bastardized westerns with nary a hint of release on any video format (or streaming) here in the US, it's somewhat thrilling to continue finding small gems like this, as if I'm the only one who knows about them. This 1961 western tracks with the rest of his work, barreling though a variety of themes such as the almost wordless anti-hero Hossein himself plays, a Stockholm syndrome kidnapping, and superfluous camera moves that feel needlessly pompous and so freaking perfect at the same time. Hossein plays Perez, the leader of a band of Mexican outlaws who kidnap the president's daughter (Giovanna Ralli) and then tear themselves apart with jealousy and greed over her return to other revolutionary forces. Often filmed with searing landscapes behind them and never afraid to shy away from horrifying tableaux (such as a group of men hanging alongside a cobblestone street like heavy piñatas), "The Taste of Violence" is a western quite unlike any other.

5. Luz The Flower of Evil (2018) - It looks pretty and all, but the idea behind this slow-burn psychological horror film about a devout rural religious "prophet" and the hell he puts his 3 daughters through isn't pretty at all. I wanted to like it, but just couldn't connect.

6. All Watched Over By Machines of Loving Grace (2011) - More Adam Curtis films will soon follow as I really dig the rabbit holes he often goes down. This three part, 3 hour documentary enraptures for the first two-thirds, and I don't quite always follow the strands he attempts to weave together, but his image selection and musical cues are second to none.
HenryHill51 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2021, 01:51 AM   #24919
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Hook
Old 04.04.2021, 08:32 AM   #24920
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses

This was on the BBC the other day. Very good movie, with typical British sarcastic humour, and it really happened, well most of it at least. Highly recommended if you're into football and even if you're not you probably will still enjoy it

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
746114611961236124312441245 1246 1247124812491256 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth