Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page What TV are you watching (live, dvd, etc.)?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.12.2015, 04:46 PM   #781
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I have read two separate theories

One states that Don will come back to NYC, and pitch McCann with the "I'd like to teach the world to sing, in perfect harmony, I'd like to buy the world a Coke, and keep it company" ad campaign that ran for like 20 years. (the ad campaign started in 1971, months after the time of the show currently)

OR

That he will get a plane ticket, with all his cash, and then jump out over wilderness like D.B. Cooper. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D._B._Cooper who did all this in November of 1971.
Old 05.12.2015, 04:49 PM   #782
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
what I would LIKE to see happen is for Weiner to write in a new character we have never seen before, a charming, verbose and profane Puerto Rican with a sweet beard who meets Joan, they fall madly in love, and move in together, exhausting themselves with endless rounds of next-level, cryptowonderdruginvogue-esque sex-capades.
Old 05.12.2015, 04:52 PM   #783
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I've heard these ideas batted around, Rob. They're not bad. They're actually pretty interesting, and probably better than mine. But I'm trying to be original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I have read two separate theories

One states that Don will come back to NYC, and pitch McCann with the "I'd like to teach the world to sing, in perfect harmony, I'd like to buy the world a Coke, and keep it company" ad campaign that ran for like 20 years. (the ad campaign started in 1971, months after the time of the show currently)

OR

That he will get a plane ticket, with all his cash, and then jump out over wilderness like D.B. Cooper. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D._B._Cooper who did all this in November of 1971.
Old 05.12.2015, 04:55 PM   #784
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Or, in my second idea, replace "mission" with "whore house". A return to from whence he came. He's made the custodian, barely paid anything, but he has a place to stay, and he's surrounded by women who give him benefits for free. This would complete the circle Bert Cooper started with his "best things in life are free" ditty.
Old 05.12.2015, 04:55 PM   #785
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
i just want to see peggy and stan get together
Old 05.12.2015, 04:59 PM   #786
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Season 1 Ep 2 of Daredevil on Netflix. Still loving it..
Old 05.12.2015, 04:59 PM   #787
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
Or, in my second idea, replace "mission" with "whore house". A return to from whence he came. He's made the custodian, barely paid anything, but he has a place to stay, and he's surrounded by women who give him benefits for free. This would complete the circle Bert Cooper started with his "best things in life are free" ditty.

that sounds plausible...
Old 05.15.2015, 09:36 PM   #788
rebeccagotcursedout
stalker

rebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's asses
I wish I could comment on these Mad Men final theory's but I've just finally saw the first season on TV and will be soon buying the others on DVD.

so, wont be seeing the last episode.

I know enough about this show to speculate but only know the premise from my cheap point of view and some in between drama.

like, I never knew Pete was aware of Don's real identity and was about to blackmail him or something. is that true or was I just dreaming?

there's not a lot of likable characters besides Peggy. I even have a fondness for Don(of course). Pete's a spoiled brat. the rest are jerks. even the women....they're all a bunch of jerk selfish assholes and I hate advertisement. screw those fucks. who cares!!!!

no, I think i'll still watch the final. though I have just skimmed the surface of this deeper show. it is fantastic if you keep up with assholes.

anyway who would lie to their kids and spouses like the main characters on this show?
rebeccagotcursedout is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2015, 02:16 AM   #789
rebeccagotcursedout
stalker

rebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's asses
I would love to see a donkey kick Pete( I get fatter every season)'s face in. about the mid-sixties the neurotic Brooklyn spoken jews just went crazy too. like a free for all.

what if they all got kicked in the face by a donkey and it turned into Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas?
rebeccagotcursedout is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2015, 03:25 PM   #790
gmku
invito al cielo

I have another prediction. Last show ends with Don meditating on a mountainside... I can just see it! Perfect.
Old 05.18.2015, 03:41 PM   #791
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I think you nailed it! hahaha

I have been watching Louie (the show is still engrossing but I keep telling my wife it is NOT FUNNY anymore.)

and the last Mad Men (OK final episode. the penultimate episode was truly the last one and should have ended it there)

and Deep Space Nine (been on a kick to re-watch some of my fave episodes from my favorite Star Trek. I watched the Triblle one yesterday)
Old 05.18.2015, 03:42 PM   #792
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccagotcursedout

anyway who would lie to their kids and spouses like the main characters on this show?

Most anyone who does that would like to YOU about doing it.
Old 05.18.2015, 03:45 PM   #793
gmku
invito al cielo

I agree! That would have been the perfect ending, Don just sitting there at the bus stop. We're left to wonder. It didn't need anything else, but it needed to pander to an audience who wanted just a little more.

Quote:
I think you nailed it! hahaha

I have been watching Louie (the show is still engrossing but I keep telling my wife it is NOT FUNNY anymore.)

and the last Mad Men (OK final episode. the penultimate episode was truly the last one and should have ended it there)

and Deep Space Nine (been on a kick to re-watch some of my fave episodes from my favorite Star Trek. I watched the Triblle one yesterday)
Old 05.18.2015, 04:05 PM   #794
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
I think there is still enough the viewer can ponder in the final episode. Did Don become the type of person he seemed to despise in the earlier seasons? He was very critical of the counter-culture/hippie people he met throughout the series. He seemed to find that utopia idealism a fantasy. Did he become a version of Steve Jobs? He also didn't believe in only aiming marketing to the teenager/20-something year-old, but that Coke commercial embodies the hippiedom/counter-culture younger generation audience he seemed to always have disdain for.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2015, 04:12 PM   #795
gmku
invito al cielo

Good questions. My thoughts: Don was really good at knowing what to use, even stuff he despised. He used the corny stuff of family life to sell all kinds of stuff, even though he didn't buy the family thing himself.

My feeling is that, yes, he may have found a little peace for himself in this moment of meditation. But he's also found the next thing he can use in advertising. He'll go back to his advertising job, or to another agency, or to work for himself, but he'll be successful by appealing to a new generation of kids. In fact, he may be the one to "turn on" his advertising cohorts to a new wya of advertising, and maybe he'll rise to even greater notoriety.

It's as if, to me, in that final scene his smile is less about personal enlightenment than about suddenly realizing that his career is going to be okay, at least for a while, like, ah, now I get it, now I see where my ad campaigns can go.

In other words, he's not going to change. Old Don, new advertising strategy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
I think there is still enough the viewer can ponder in the final episode. Did Don become the type of person he seemed to despise in the earlier seasons? He was very critical of the counter-culture/hippie people he met throughout the series. He seemed to find that utopia idealism a fantasy. Did he become a version of Steve Jobs? He also didn't believe in only aiming marketing to the teenager/20-something year-old, but that Coke commercial embodies the hippiedom/counter-culture younger generation audience he seemed to always have disdain for.
Old 05.18.2015, 04:38 PM   #796
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDistortion

That Coke commercial was the first and biggest shot across the bow of the counterculture, appropriating the 60's counterculture inclusionism and peace and love mentality to sell SHIT. and it ran for 26 years.

It meant that Don (generic ad man) Draper will and does use anything and everything that happens to him to lie to people so they buy product.
Old 05.18.2015, 04:43 PM   #797
gmku
invito al cielo

Exactly!

Quote:
That Coke commercial was the first and biggest shot across the bow of the counterculture, appropriating the 60's counterculture inclusionism and peace and love mentality to sell SHIT. and it ran for 26 years.

It meant that Don (generic ad man) Draper will and does use anything and everything that happens to him to lie to people so they buy product.
Old 05.18.2015, 06:11 PM   #798
Ghostchase
100%

Ghostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's asses
I feel Don's end point was the least interesting. Pete, Peggy, Roger, and Joan's end points were joyful, and Betty & the kids were desolate yet captivating with the changing of the arms with Sally's rise to the mother figure. Don's ending would have more engaging if it came to a untimely end, or something more climatic.
Ghostchase is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2015, 06:27 PM   #799
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
I've never watched Mad Men, and I probably never will but can someone sum up in a nutshell what makes a TV series about bunch of people working in something as tacky as advertising worthy of such a devoted audience?
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2015, 06:48 PM   #800
gmku
invito al cielo

Haters. Haters around every corner. Where do they all come from.
373839 40 4142435090140 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth