Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page SY and others on Rolling Stone's under appreciated list
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.01.2007, 05:16 PM   #1
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdail...iated-artists/

a fan poll to be sure for those choices, if RS had their way, they'd find a way to put Weezer on the list

not so sure of the placement of some but i like the addtion of some of the choices

1. Tom Waits
2. The Replacements
3. Cheap Trick
4. Sonic Youth
5. Warren Zevon
6. Big Star
7. The Pharcyde
8. Roxy Music
9. Talking Heads
10. Bob Seger
11. Fugazi
13. The Cramps
14. The New York Dolls
15. The Band
16. The Cars
17. Pogues
18. Alice Cooper
19. Dinosaur Jr
20. Sleater-Kinney
21. Husker Du
22. Devo
23. Wilco
24. Tom Petty
25. Ween
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2007, 06:23 PM   #2
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
1. don't agree much
2. i agree
3. i certainly agree
4. i kinda agree
5. i agree
6. i agree
7. i agree
8. nope, they are overappreciated
9. overappreciated
10. i don't live in detroit
11. overappreciated
13. i definitely agree
14. i agree...kinda, i think they are well appreciated.
15. i'm not sure, i guess they are
16. i definitely agree
17. kinda agree
18. yes and no
19. overappreciated
20. overappreciated
21. overappreciated
22. see ny dolls response.
23. kinda agree, can't see more people into them.
24. i agree
25. massively overappreciated
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2007, 06:36 PM   #3
Pax Americana
expwy. to yr skull

Pax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's asses
That list isn't too bad. You're probably right about that being a fan poll though, Rolling Stone sucks.
Pax Americana is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2007, 07:09 PM   #4
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, winning ASCAP's Golden Note Award, being nominated 17 times for a Grammy, winning three, and pretty much dominating most classic rock radio stations and Tom Petty is still under appreciated?

What does it take? Do we have to give him his own country?
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2007, 07:18 PM   #5
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
my thoughts written in a style that would probably make my english teacher sad:

1. meh. he's hit and miss.
2. let it be is overrated but i absolutely love tim. meh.
3. SURRENDER = BEST SONG EVER AMIRITE
4. definitely agree.
5. agree.
6. thirteen is very close to my heart. agree.
7. agree
8. shouldn't be on this list
9. wtf. see nine.
10. eck.
11. YES YES AGREE every-e i love you but the argument is holy fucking awesome.
13. what happened to twelve?
14. no. but i do like some of their stuff.
15. no.
16. overappreciated
17. fairytale of new york! underappreciated.
18. my nan once sat next to him on a plane and said he was a swell guy. i have nothing else to say.
19. meh.
20. love
21. mostly love
22. really shouldn't be on here
23. appreciated just right. shouldn't be on here. yankee hotel foxtrot and a ghost is born are amazing albums.
24. no. other than "ballad of mary jane" i don't care for him.
25. oh, how i love ween. but they don't belong here.
Old 05.01.2007, 07:53 PM   #6
Sleek_Jeek
empty page

Sleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantophobia
http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdail...iated-artists/

a fan poll to be sure for those choices, if RS had their way, they'd find a way to put Weezer on the list

not so sure of the placement of some but i like the addtion of some of the choices

1. Tom Waits
2. The Replacements
3. Cheap Trick
4. Sonic Youth
5. Warren Zevon
6. Big Star
7. The Pharcyde
8. Roxy Music
9. Talking Heads
10. Bob Seger
11. Fugazi
13. The Cramps
14. The New York Dolls
15. The Band
16. The Cars
17. Pogues
18. Alice Cooper
19. Dinosaur Jr
20. Sleater-Kinney
21. Husker Du
22. Devo
23. Wilco
24. Tom Petty
25. Ween

I feel like this is a very unfocused list. What is underappreciated about these bands?

I'd say fugazi and sonic youth both recieve due amounts of appreciation, but not in the proper context. I feel, in the case of fugazi, that their music is the least apprerciated thing about them, but only because of how much of the focus of regional fans turns to their ethics and non-existent press coverage etc, etc. Their music is beautiful and upbeat, in non-obvious ways but seriously, go check out the scribble non-sense in the liner notes of "in on the kill taker." They're not actually out to make all college students vegetarians, they just want to see other people take a creative approach in other ways.

With sonic youth on the other hand, I feel the focus is too much on the music, and not on the fact that they've got 56 different t-shirt designs, a complete list of gear on this very web site, and I've seen a video of a geriatric choir singing "schizophrenia" on youtube, but the most coverage they get is a snapshot of them in rollingstone at coachella the year Iggy Pop rounds up enough dough to share with his original band and not some payed yuppie studio session label tarts with an hourly rate. I want to see complete transcriptions, I want to hear public enemy remixed with the minutemen, I want to see sonic youth billboards everywhere. Fuck this "they're like the indie grateful dead b.s.", they're the lazy beatles, die.
Sleek_Jeek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2007, 09:17 PM   #7
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Not a horrible list, but Cheap Trick should
not be above Sonic Youth and The Cars should be above wherever Cheap Trick is.

Of course, Sonic Youth should really own this list and be number one.

Bob Seger, Sleater-Kinney, and Wilco shouldn't even be on this list.

The Violinist Niccolò Paganini, 1819.Ingres, Jean-Auguste-Dominique.
Pencil, 298 x 218 mm
Musée du Louvre, Paris

Paganini, 1832.
Delacroix, Eugène.
Oil on Cardboard
Completed in 1832
30.2cm x 43.8cm
Phillips Collection, Washington, DC

atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2007, 09:25 PM   #8
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
schizophrenicroom should listen to The Replacements - Let it Be.

It's upsetting to read both schizophrenicroom's and Everyneurotics' posts because they both discount Talking Heads and Devo, and that just isn't right.

Robert Rauschenberg, Canyon, 1959. Combine on canvas 81 3/4 x 70 x 24 inches.
Old 05.01.2007, 09:27 PM   #9
FruitLoop
children of satan

FruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard sucka
#12 is definitely underappreciated
FruitLoop is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2007, 09:40 PM   #10
triggercutter
empty page

triggercutter is a name known to alltriggercutter is a name known to alltriggercutter is a name known to alltriggercutter is a name known to alltriggercutter is a name known to alltriggercutter is a name known to all
i gues mark e smith is not as underappreciated as he thinks he is.
triggercutter is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2007, 10:38 PM   #11
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruitLoop
#12 is definitely underappreciated

Now there's a rep-worthy post!

Old 05.01.2007, 10:39 PM   #12
atari 2600
invito al cielo

which calls to mind another thing that's just plain wrong with schizophrenicroom's and Everynerotics comments...they each didn't point out the missing #12 and what's more, the way they did their list makes you check back and forth and that's just a nuisance. It's such a annoyance that it caused me not to notice the obvious...that #12 is missing.

Of course, the error owes its inception to pantophobia.

Don't kill the messenger (as you are wont to do), now.

Old 05.01.2007, 10:53 PM   #13
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
13. what happened to twelve?

and furthermore,

i love devo and what i say is that the people who should love them already love them and the ones who wouldn't "get it" aren't listening to them so that makes them farly appreciated and i love talking heads up until remain in light; i said they were overappreciated because after ril they just simply suck, bland awful overproduced radio drivel for the eighties, burning down the house and all the other hits sound so dated it hurts....come to think of it, early talking heads are a bit underappreciated and later talking heads is massively over appreciated, so like i said with alice cooper, yes and no.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2007, 11:00 PM   #14
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
which calls to mind another thing that's just plain wrong with schizophrenicroom's and Everynerotics comments...they each didn't point out the missing #12 and what's more, the way they did their list makes you check back and forth and that's just a nuisance. It's such a annoyance that it caused me not to notice the obvious...that #12 is missing.

Of course, the error owes its inception to pantophobia.

Don't kill the messenger (as you are wont to do), now.

actually no, i copyed it directly from the RS link above my post, they left off 12, i double checked it too, they can count em numbers gooood
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2007, 11:01 PM   #15
hey alex
the end of the ugly

hey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
and furthermore,

i love devo and what i say is that the people who should love them already love them and the ones who wouldn't "get it" aren't listening to them so that makes them farly appreciated and i love talking heads up until remain in light; i said they were overappreciated because after ril they just simply suck, bland awful overproduced radio drivel for the eighties, burning down the house and all the other hits sound so dated it hurts....come to think of it, early talking heads are a bit underappreciated and later talking heads is massively over appreciated, so like i said with alice cooper, yes and no.
I dunno- I've never heard anyone really gazm over little creatures or naked.

I think wire should be on there. Not ween though- ween are good because they kind of suck. And you can't really put a band with songs like "flies on my dick" in either a appreciated or under list. it's fuckin ween.
Duran Duran's 1995 covers album Thank You was recently voted the worst album of all time by a Q magazine poll. Although we respectfully disagree (Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts & Flowers is clearly the worst album of all time) -Pitchfork (hahahah!)

Here's a myspace of my music and 4-track ramblings
the electric kites--the jamz of me n my friends
hey alex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2007, 11:53 PM   #16
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
tom waits? really? i had a whole mouthfull ready to bash that number one spot, but i think the fact that he's even number one is a testament to how shit that list it.

tom fucking waits?!?!?!?

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2007, 11:55 PM   #17
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantophobia
actually no, i copyed it directly from the RS link above my post, they left off 12, i double checked it too, they can count em numbers gooood

Yeah, somethin told me to peep the link out first, so alas, I am in error.
RS online is the culprit.

Old 05.02.2007, 01:22 AM   #18
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
1. Tom Waits- I like him, but so do so damn many other people, I don't get "underappreciated" at all.
2. Replacements - Really two bands, before the major label deal and after. Before can't be appreciated enough, after was just coasting on the legend of the early records.
3. Cheap Trick - I think the world appreciates their best moments about right. It's not the world's fault they put out thousands of boring ass albums.
4. Sonic Youth - Underappreciated in record sales, otherwise pretty much revered. I suppose they're underappreciated by the dumbfuck posers at Pitchfork too, but that's probably a good thing.
5. Warren Zevon - I always hear this about him. Must be true. What I've heard, I didn't particularly appreciate one way or the other.
6. Big Star - Ding Ding! Yeah, they have legendary status now and everything, but they still constantly get overlooked, and their best moments (Sister Lovers) the most.
7. The Pharcyde - Weren't they massively popular while they were doing anything worth noticing?
8. Roxy Music - Less noticed and remembered than Bowie I suppose. Still, a pretty damn huge band.
9. Talking Heads - David Byrne was on the cover of Time Magazine at the peak of their popularity. They do seem a bit more forgotten than many of their contemporaries today though.
10. Bob Seger - Somebody really needs to be shot for suggesting this massively overplayed human bloat is anything but OVER appreciated!
11. Fugazi - Appreciated on their own terms.
13. The Cramps - Yeah, I can accept that one.
14. The New York Dolls - Again, it's all relative. Compared to KISS, who took their schtick and made millions, sure. Still, hard to think of legendary as "underappreciated".
15. The Band - I guess in an old hippie sort of way.
16. The Cars - Ridiculous. I don't hate them, but they have had no shortage of success or staying power.
17. Pogues - Yeah, I sort of see that, except that I've been around so many people who over appreciate them, that I forget that's not "normal".
18. Alice Cooper - His classics are classics, his legacy he destroyed all on his lonesome.
19. Dinosaur Jr - Yeah, probably.
20. Sleater-Kinney - Oh brother.
21. Husker Du - See the Replacements, same city, same story.
22. Devo - Just as stupid as saying the Cars are underappreciated.
23. Wilco - Aren't they totally huge?
24. Tom Petty - Sure, what he needs is to get played on the radio, tour with a few famous rock stars, and be in a supergroup with Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison, and a Beatle, then he'll get the appreciation he deserves... Oh wait he's had all that, and for what?
25. Ween - I've never understood the fanatics, but surely their appreciation must make up for all of the rest of us.

Incredibly dumb list. There are thousands of incredibly great musicians out there who don't have a tenth the record sales, popularity, and critical acclaim of anyone on this list.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2007, 09:45 AM   #19
jetengine
children of satan

jetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's asses
Didn't they mean "Most Underappreciated American Acts with a Brit or Two Thrown in as Not to Make the Magazine Look Too Ignorant and Ethnocentric"...?

From a Canadian perspective, Where's Sloan, Eric's Trip, The Tragically Hip, 54-40, Rough Trade (probably the first or second new wave band [along with Devo], if you don't count The Doors, Roxy Music and 10 CC), etc...? The fact that these aren't included should be enough to make any Canadian rock fan laugh. I'm sure the Brits, Irish, Germans, Swedes, Australians, etc. all have plenty of reasons to laugh, as well.
jetengine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2007, 10:10 AM   #20
auto-aim
the destroyed room

auto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's asses
Elliott Smith should be on there

His Naked Torso
auto-aim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth