Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The return of Chris Morris
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.28.2007, 03:46 AM   #1
sarramkrop

I had read something about it on one of those newspapers that you find on the bus, but here's more from the Cookd And Bombd website:

Well hot damn and heavens to Betsy, some thunderously great comedy for you this update, and in all cases it's sheer brilliance is matched by it's extreme rarity. Good old The Internet for helping bring about a state of affairs where people can (and want to) share such goodness. It's hard not to take the technology for granted most of the time but, shit, the fact that anyone can now go on YouTube and see a stack of Syd Barrett footage that was previously a complete pain in the hole to get hold of is a real joy. And y'know, stuff like this, for example, is what the internet was made for...bollocks to all that 'piss-weak dancing kittens and George Bush being made to sing along to Vambo' style stuff (pssst...someone tell Iannucci, eh, before we have another nasty out-break of Time Trumpet. Actually, Brooker got it spot on about internet comedy being the worst thing in the world as soon as it goes near a telly...he's still doing another six episodes though, ho!)

Before we get to that, here's some actual concrete info about the new Chris Morris project, which has hitherto been described as 'that suicide bombers thing', because there's been hardly any information coming this way about it - waynecarr@gmail.com about that or anything else please, folks. Or PM me through the board for a much more rapid response, if you can - ah, and registration emails are still randomly bouncing, so email if you never got one and I'll manually activate you. So, as I mentioned before, there seemed to be some uncertainty over whether it was a TV show or a film...it's both as it turns out, a film for TV, with Morris writing and directing again. It's apparently about a bunch of Pakistani kids, and follows them as they work and play, while exploring their relation to the culture that surrounds them, their beliefs, and their sense of heritage. The brief description makes it sound really interesting, although the casting breakdown notably doesn't feature the word "comedy" in it at all. Was interesting wondering about what the tone would be when so little was known about it, the sighting of Morris at a debate on the ethics of Al Qaeda, and the apparent theme of the London Bombers being (to quote IanW) "like pissed off, pompous, narcissistic adolescents, blowing themselves up in something like a more extreme version of self-harming" had me envisioning a sort of Islamic Young Ones with smaller bombs, heh.

think this apparent change in direction could really be what Morris needs to break this lengthy period of sporadic activity and water-treading. And he definitely has a gift for narrative, when I was checking through the latest 1993 GLR show again for encoding blips, I was impressed by the pictures painted by the Chollis Ketteridge letter, and by the stories told in those Our Tune-style frozen piss letters in general...course, they're more commonly associated with the R1 Music Shows that came the following year - and as an aside, it's a fact that the majority of all the greatly loved segments and features premiered on GLR. Case in point being this letter, in fact, which was later repeated on R1 almost verbatim...incidentally, I had no luck tracking down David Essex's cover of "A Horse With No Name" when I was patching the show to reassemble it and cover tape flips, so please get in touch if you can help there. Discretion assured.
http://chilled.cream.org/forums/portal.php
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2007, 04:34 AM   #2
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks. He's great. Need to see more of his work. Have you seen his edited version of the eulogy at lady Di's funeral Sarra? I've never seen it, but it's supposed to be brilliant.

Ha! Ha! If you liked Bushwacked, check these hilarious vids.
Not by him, but genius in the same way.

Tony Blair sings Should I stay or should I go... Gordon Brown

George W. sings U2's Sunday Bloody Sunday

George W. sings Imagine vs Walk on the Wild Side
Tokolosh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2007, 04:39 AM   #3
sarramkrop

Those are great. Have you read on the website that there might be a second series of Nathan Barley? Christmas has come early.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2007, 04:42 AM   #4
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
I haven't even seen the first series. Must be a laugh.
Old 04.28.2007, 04:48 AM   #5
sarramkrop

It's not a cheap laugh, for sure. In fact, after i've watched it several times i've found it to be a bit sad, or certainly the Nathan Barley character came accross to me as almost tragic and trapped into himself. It's also quite a realistic casting of an individual that exists in reality, so it makes it funny but in a fucked up way.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2007, 04:53 AM   #6
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Not as sad and pathetic as Keith Barratt I hope?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth