Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Black Widow
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.27.2007, 12:25 AM   #1
Green Magnesium
100%

Green Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's asses
Is anyone else a fan of this late 60's-early 70's British soul/folk/black magic band, that became infamous for their gimmicky stage show which featured the "sacrifice" of a naked "virgin?"

At the time their music was overshadowed by their reputation, but their first two albums, Pesky Gee! (aka Exclamation Mark) and Sacrifice, released in 1969 and 1970 respectively, have come to be regarded as cult classics. Echos of KING CRIMSON, BIG BROTHER and JETHRO TULL can be heard, among others, but these two albums are great pieces of work in their own right, IMO. The lead vocals of singers Kay Garrett and Kip Trevor are really quite powerful and lovely. The controversial Sacrifice is actually quite humorous when it is listened to with tongue planted in cheek.

Eventually the band's lineup changed almost entirely and the music changed with it. I personally have no use for anything after Sacrifice, although I have yet to hear their last album, IV, which was never officially released until recently. It's actually supposed to be their strongest work.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I just really dig these two albums, and was wondering if anyone else felt the same.
Green Magnesium is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth