Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Do you have a band?????
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.09.2008, 08:17 PM   #561
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I played bass in various bands in the late 80s-early 90s. One of them, Ascension, developed a bit of a following in the pages of Wire magazine. We mostly played with bands like Pinkie and the Puritans and Hair and Skin Trading Company. I half remember us supporting Huggy Bear on some ill advised Riot Grrl showcase and clearing the place out. I was really drunk at the time, having literally drunk a bottle and a half of Scotch before going on stage. I remember Pavement were playing at the Forum a few doors down and recall myself suggesting to the audience that they fuck off and see them instead, because we're absolute shit. Melly was there and can probably fill in the details. We also infamously played the Rough Trade shop in Covent Garden and was switched off after a minute because we were so loud. We put out some shit tracks on the White Trash Motherfuckers compilation and I left soon after that. The band then released some albums and supported Sonic Youth in London, causing a bit of a riot that made the pages of the NME. The other band half-worth mentioning was Cruiser, made up of me and members of Birdland and Thee Hypnotics, but we split up fairly early on because we seemed to loathe one another and I literally managed to set fire to my bass rig during a rehearsal one night. I then made drum and bass and techno records during the mid 90s, more as a hobby than anything else, and gave up on making music altogether after that. A couple of years ago I decided to try and teach myself to play guitar but found it a very slow process (TOTALLY different to playing bass) and I'm back playing bass now. Not in a band at the moment, just messing around on an eight track with a 'project' of sorts called Mario/Maria, in which everything seems to sound like World Domination Enterprises, regardless of what I might intend.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2008, 08:22 PM   #562
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
no i'd like to though. i've been writing music which i can only say sounds like if bauhaus had taken a bunch of acid and been shoegazers.
Cantankerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2008, 08:29 PM   #563
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I played bass in various bands in the late 80s-early 90s. One of them, Ascension, developed a bit of a following in the pages of Wire magazine.

You were in Ascension? Wow. I have one of your LPs, the one on Shock/Fusetron. I enjoy that music a lot.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2008, 08:32 PM   #564
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I played bass in various bands in the late 80s-early 90s. One of them, Ascension, developed a bit of a following in the pages of Wire magazine. We mostly played with bands like Pinkie and the Puritans and Hair and Skin Trading Company. I half remember us supporting Huggy Bear on some ill advised Riot Grrl showcase and clearing the place out. I was really drunk at the time, having literally drunk a bottle and a half of Scotch before going on stage. I remember Pavement were playing at the Forum a few doors down and recall myself suggesting to the audience that they fuck off and see them instead, because we're absolute shit. Melly was there and can probably fill in the details. We also infamously played the Rough Trade shop in Covent Garden and was switched off after a minute because we were so loud. We put out some shit tracks on the White Trash Motherfuckers compilation and I left soon after that. The band then released some albums and supported Sonic Youth in London, causing a bit of a riot that made the pages of the NME. The other band half-worth mentioning was Cruiser, made up of me and members of Birdland and Thee Hypnotics, but we split up fairly early on because we seemed to loathe one another and I literally managed to set fire to my bass rig during a rehearsal one night. I then made drum and bass and techno records during the mid 90s, more as a hobby than anything else, and gave up on making music altogether after that. A couple of years ago I decided to try and teach myself to play guitar but found it a very slow process (TOTALLY different to playing bass) and I'm back playing bass now. Not in a band at the moment, just messing around on an eight track with a 'project' of sorts called Mario/Maria, in which everything seems to sound like World Domination Enterprises, regardless of what I might intend.

you were at the riot girl showcase at...ummm.....
subterrania???
with huggy bear and hole
in 1993???

or was it a different one?
Old 06.12.2008, 09:08 PM   #565
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
i just re-started a band that i was in last summer with my broither and his rich prep school multi instrumentalist friend. weve just started jamming, me on guitars and effects, the brother on drums, brennan on clarinet and sax, we have an ashratempel meets rat bastard meets parliament thing going on, or thats what we went. the name of the band is 'bob as robertson' (its a twin peaks reference and it sucks, ill think of a better one eventually), and we have bnothing recorded yet.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2008, 09:17 PM   #566
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
you were at the riot girl showcase at...ummm.....
subterrania???
with huggy bear and hole
in 1993???

or was it a different one?

No, it wasn't that one, it was at the Bull and Gate, just along from the Forum.
Old 06.12.2008, 09:21 PM   #568
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
No, it wasn't that one, it was at the Bull and Gate, just along from the Forum.
oh i see.
Old 06.15.2008, 05:54 PM   #569
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

today i recorded a song that i made up on the spot in a giant bathroom by myself on borrowed equipment.
and i think it's probably kind of shit.
but i'm mixing it right now so when i'm done i'll post it and leave you all to decide. and if it's shit you can tell me so.
Old 06.15.2008, 05:56 PM   #570
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Bathroom recordings are, by definition, never shit. Whenever I sing Human Fly in the bath I sound fucking brilliant, I tell thee.
Old 06.15.2008, 06:15 PM   #571
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

https://download.yousendit.com/3B540C6E34E90D4F

here. it's in m4a which will work in itunes. it's called cosmos. the tambourine sounds a bit off to me.
Old 06.16.2008, 05:28 AM   #572
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

no one listened to it!?!

i played it to only about three people who all said they liked it. i sent it to my mom and i'm still waiting for a response as it's only like 6:30 in america.

but really someone please listen to it and tell me if it's shit or not. i need as many opinions as possible.
Old 06.16.2008, 06:26 AM   #573
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Couldn't open it. From your description, though, no doubt it needs some Sperry Topsiders.
Old 06.17.2008, 04:25 AM   #575
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
not bad at ALL tanky. I took a little trip tonight...went on the web...heard this song...the quiet fade out like a faint wave crash with static fizzle at the end was a nice touch.
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.19.2008, 04:15 AM   #576
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

thank you. although the more i listen to it the more shit it sounds and the more it sounds like fuckery in a bathroom.
i am very critical about anything that i do creatively though. i think i'm turning into kevin shields.
i like the term "pill rock"
Old 06.19.2008, 01:05 PM   #577
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
haha, me too. When ppl ask what we sound like I say...pill rock, coke rock, acid rock, stoner rock, and mushroom pop mixed together.

fuckery in a bathroom is a cool sound though too, if ur just making it for arts sake...fuckin elvis & lots of 50s musicians recorded in a bathroom, sleezey ppl fuck in bathrooms, clean ppl sometimes fuck in bathrooms, ppl do coke in bathrooms, the bathroom is the new studio, its getting all the action...
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2008, 01:25 AM   #578
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

pink moon

more bathroom music
kill me now please. all i ever wanted to do is write lyrics and sing and play rhythm guitar but have someone else who's really good at it do the writing and arranging.
Old 06.20.2008, 01:40 AM   #579
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

okay i've been reassured of the quality of this
make sure you've got two working speakers or some headphones if you listen to it
Old 06.20.2008, 01:46 AM   #580
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
i tried opening it but it wouldn't work. i'll try to dl it again.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
262728 29 3031323979 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth