Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Best/Worst Sonic Youth Songwriter
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.27.2006, 07:25 PM   #21
AllHandsOnTheBigOne
children of satan

AllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's asses
What do you mean songwriters? Are you talking about the lyrics?

How does the Sonic Youth songwriting process work? I had thought Sonic Youth just sort of "jammed" songs into existence, and then pretty much randomly decide who sang on what. See Disc 2 of the Diry Deluxe. I didn't think it was a McCartney/Lennon/Harrison type thing, where they individually write songs and then take them to the entire group to play.
Old 04.27.2006, 07:47 PM   #22
John Violence
the end of the ugly

John Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's asses
Lee has not written a bad Sonic Youth song in my eyes. Kim has written some of the best but she is off and on. Thurston is steady eddy.
John Violence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 08:52 PM   #23
Neongod
the destroyed room

Neongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant future
Plastic Sun was confirmed as a Thurston-penned song in an interview but where is this other information? I'd love to know who wrote what.
Old 04.27.2006, 08:53 PM   #24
hey alex
the end of the ugly

hey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Marie
But Orange Rolls sucks horrribly.

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNO!
Duran Duran's 1995 covers album Thank You was recently voted the worst album of all time by a Q magazine poll. Although we respectfully disagree (Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts & Flowers is clearly the worst album of all time) -Pitchfork (hahahah!)

Here's a myspace of my music and 4-track ramblings
the electric kites--the jamz of me n my friends
hey alex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 08:59 PM   #25
Neongod
the destroyed room

Neongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey alex
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNO!

Oh yes....waaaay YES!
Old 04.27.2006, 09:00 PM   #26
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Lee is better than the others.
Old 04.27.2006, 09:17 PM   #27
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Although it is true that Lee is God, keep in mind that Thurston and Kim have way more songs so it is kind of easier for them to have their "weaker songs" come to surface more so than the one good song that Lee gets on the album (if that makes any sense).
Old 04.27.2006, 09:22 PM   #28
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by themawt71
right now mote, beauty lies in the eye and lee #2 are the only sonic youth songs that lee wrote the meat of the tune.

???
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 09:24 PM   #29
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Chris, they are idiots. The end.
Old 04.27.2006, 09:33 PM   #30
sleep33
little trouble girl

sleep33 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Lee's lyrics seem a little cliche. He writes with too much emotion and just sounds really lame. Thats just my opinion but I just dont like all that symbolic thoughtful stuff. It ruins the whole art filled vibe.

Thurston and Kim however are both great however.
sleep33 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 09:34 PM   #31
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

I hate Thurston and Kim's voices for the most part.
Old 04.27.2006, 09:39 PM   #32
sleep33
little trouble girl

sleep33 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Thats why I listen to them. There so bad and atonal (atleast in the earlier days) that its great.

Inhuman has the greatest vocals...

Lee tries to sound serious and I just end up laughing at his songs...
sleep33 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 09:44 PM   #33
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

Yeah, I really prefer Kim and Thurston's vocals on older stuff. It fits better. Newer stuff is so much more delicate I think Lee's vocals work better.
Old 04.27.2006, 11:04 PM   #34
themawt71
the destroyed room

themawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
???

with mote lee plays the chord progression-ie the meat of the tune while thurston plays the noise accompaniment.

beauty lies in the eye-lee plays all of the guitar while thurston plays bass

lee #2 - cant remember what thurston plays but pretty sure lees playing the main chord progression

im sure there are more but thats all i can think of right now. oh yeah wish fulfilment-lee plays the main harmony of the song while thurston is more in the accompaniment role-especially in the begining -they both mirror each other for the rest.

so think about it in these terms - if you were to take lees parts out of these songs would the identity of the song still be as intact as it would be if thurstons parts were taken out. think about female mechaninc on duty(mainly the A section). the "meat" of the song is kim's guitar part while thurston and lee augment it. thurston with his noisy stuff and lee with his mirroring of kims part. hers is the more dominant part in the A section

as of late it seems alot of the songs have come from thurston and then the band fleshes them out. you can hear how his parts are the nucleus of the song in these instances while what kim and lee do are the flesh. in this way the lee songs i mentioned above are more his than thurston or kims tho of course they are still sonic youth songs of course.

the last song on murray st is a wonderful example of all of their parts coexisting equally. and that was one of the only songs on that album that was culled from a jam.

matt
themawt71 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 11:17 PM   #35
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
They are all very different. I think Lee's are all really great, but he has so few. So maybe if the tables were turned and he did more, and Thurston or Kim did less, we'd say Thurston was better. Thurston or Kim can't always put out as good stuff consistently while Lee only puts out a few. But they are all really great, and we all know that. I'd have to say they all make some really good songs. Lee's are just all good, because he does so few.
Old 04.27.2006, 11:39 PM   #36
hey alex
the end of the ugly

hey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neongod
Oh yes....waaaay YES!
i can;t argue with that logic. but it still stands as one of my favorite dirty songs
Duran Duran's 1995 covers album Thank You was recently voted the worst album of all time by a Q magazine poll. Although we respectfully disagree (Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts & Flowers is clearly the worst album of all time) -Pitchfork (hahahah!)

Here's a myspace of my music and 4-track ramblings
the electric kites--the jamz of me n my friends
hey alex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 11:54 PM   #37
RockerNino
bad moon rising

RockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's asses
yea. i think kim doesnt relaly write all of her own songs. i remember reading an interview where thurston had written all the main structure and vocals for pattern recognition, but kim heard it and wrote a better one. they probably ahve a unique way of writing and collaborating. although thats just one example. i like lee the best. but diamond sea is a gem.
RockerNino is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2006, 06:54 AM   #38
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
skip tracer is Thurston's song?

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2006, 08:43 AM   #39
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
Hard one! id have to go for Lee! simply because he has written some astonishingly brilliant and affecting pieces over the years. Athough Kim gets a lot of criticism she has been resposable for some of the bands best work ('I love you golden blue' anyone?) Thurston is very consist as a writer. This is what makes sonic youth so good as a band is that they all bring different elements to the mix, and are all equally talented in different ways
Washing Machine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2006, 09:20 AM   #40
Confusion is Dante
little trouble girl

Confusion is Dante has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Honestly...........this shouldn't even be debated.
All three are very talented musicians and songwriters, and to compare them to each other is like taking a piss while spinning around in a centrifuge..............

My bough never breaks, I don't stumble into anything
Confusion is Dante is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth