Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Favorite Daniel Johnston Record?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.06.2012, 02:54 PM   #1
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
So DJ has so many records and i've only scratched the surface of half of them.This guy has such a huge back catalog of wonderful songs that he would be a huge star if it wasn't for his erratic personality.

I've been completely in love with Artistic Vice lately and i still go back to 1990 and hi how are you/yip jump but I still want more. I want to hear from the rabid fans who have heard every recording and memorized them like a bored person does for the channels on late night tv.
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2012, 03:10 PM   #2
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Devil and Daniel Johnston is really difficult to watch. There are certain times when seeing the darkness in a persons personal life can make you enjoy their work more, or at least put it into some context, but I didnt think that film was worth making apart from people wanting to rubberneck at the difficulties he had/has.

His music; he has a tremendous sense of melody but his singing voice has always been a problem for me. Its one of those that you will either adore or find impossible, and im in the latter camp.

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2012, 03:27 PM   #3
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
He got arrested in the statue of liberty for drawing a christian fish, that might have been WITH Steve and Jad Fair, im not sure, I havent seen it in a while either.

I never saw the bit where he's reunited with the girl who he obsessed over for the whole of his career, and I dont want to. The fact the filmmakers made that happen and filmed it as an extra to entice people to buy their DVD is pretty cheap stuff in my eyes.

Old 01.06.2012, 03:43 PM   #4
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

I Just hope he's doing alright, he is properly mentally ill.

Steve does tend to find himself with some strange people, I remember an article I read a couple of months ago about the singer from Crucifucks (S.S Beat Control's first band for those of U not in the know). Now HE was nuts.

Old 01.06.2012, 06:26 PM   #5
Murmer99
stalker

Murmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's asses
"Hi, How Are You" is by far my favorite.

I've always identified with his music. Good thing? bad? neither? doesn't matter to me. Haven't seen The Devil and Daniel Johnston, I've been uncertain about whether I want to or not since it looks like it'll make me really depressed. I love the atmosphere of most if his records a lot. I also recommend (to those who haven't) listening to his songs "More Dead than Alive", "Despair Came Knocking", and "Follow that Dream". Those songs have a special place in my heart. I often have wondered how he's doing nowadays.
Murmer99 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2012, 06:29 PM   #6
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99
"Hi, How Are You" is by far my favorite.

I've always identified with his music. Good thing? bad? neither? doesn't matter to me. Haven't seen The Devil and Daniel Johnston, I've been uncertain about whether I want to or not since it looks like it'll make me really depressed. I love the atmosphere of most if his records a lot. I also recommend (to those who haven't) listening to his songs "More Dead than Alive", "Despair Came Knocking", and "Follow that Dream". Those songs have a special place in my heart. I often have wondered how he's doing nowadays.

Given what youve said, id reccommend you dont see it.

Old 01.06.2012, 06:54 PM   #7
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
I've never considered him an "album" artist. For me, it's always been about the songs. Growing up outside Houston and listening to local / public radio, DJ songs were played all the time (and still are). Many time, DJ would be at the station playing live on the air.

Funeral Home is a favorite of my wife, but like many of his songs......they are too short. Of course, I sometimes wonder if the shortness of some of his tracks isn't the true brilliance of them? ? ?

I for one LOVED The Devil And Daniel Johnson. Such an insight to a unique person, I don't see how anyone could be disappointed watching the movie.

Im not a massive fan so i defer to those of you who are in that respect. It was pretty depressing to watch from my perspective as a casual fan.

Old 01.07.2012, 05:51 AM   #8
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
His albums are not too consistent.
There are beautiful beautiful songs on 1990, together with stuff that doesn't do it for me.

I like Artistic Vice; and Rejected Unknown even more (Favorite Darling Girl could be my favourite DJ song).

He has a peculiar voice; I find it hard to watch him on youtube, live.
On Rejected... there's this song Billions/Rock, where he plans to become a massive rock star... But there's that voice that doesn't match the lyrics, and it is so odd I can't help wondering whether he had a precise idea of the impact on the listener - you could easily laugh at him, but he seems so self-assured on that one, you don't know which way to go. That is something.

His earlier stuff is too lo-fi to my ears, and Fear Yourself left me cold.

Discovered Covered was a good pick, with fine versions of his songs by M. Ward, Tom Waits and more...
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.08.2012, 11:20 AM   #9
radarmaker
the end of the ugly

radarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's asses
Yip/Jump.
radarmaker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth