Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page what are you listening to?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.04.2015, 11:35 AM   #47541
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I feel in love with Pavement when Slanted & Enchanted came out and I had heard absolutely nothing quite so sloppy yet amazing, then I got Westing by Musket and Sextant and that shit was AMAZING.
Old 12.04.2015, 04:02 PM   #47542
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Misfits: Beware and Earth A.D./ Wolfsblood.

So great!
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.04.2015, 04:13 PM   #47543
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
that lazy feedback guitar solo at the end of both those songs is like a cherry on top. nonsense is right but it's perfect nonsense. the lyrics and the layering of crazy melodic guitars into pop/rock nuggets. stuff still sounds inspiring.

I wanted to hate Pavement but everything you said is what made me fall in love with this band. I had a Pavement love affair for like three years this record kicked it off.

I'm good at summing up what makes Pavement great I think that if I posted my favorite Pavement tracks, y'all would be like, "word."

I'll always love Pavement. I won't always listen to them voraciously as I did in my teens, but their best moments hit me just as hard now as they ever did when I was younger. That's the mark of a truly great band, I think.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.04.2015, 04:16 PM   #47544
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
and in the morning light/ i hold my ashtray TIGHT!
Old 12.04.2015, 04:28 PM   #47545
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I'm good at summing up what makes Pavement great I think that if I posted my favorite Pavement tracks, y'all would be like, "word."

Jesus Fuck. Can you see Stockton, CA from your high horse there? Arrogance has to be earned.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.04.2015, 05:29 PM   #47546
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
anyway, anyone know if there is a good new remastered version of Lick My Decals Off, Baby? or do I have to bite the bullet and a good vinyl copy. I love the album but the tiny sound annoys me after hearing the instrumentals. I know it could sound better.

Bite the bullet for last year's outstanding box set:
http://www.allmusic.com/album/sun-zo...2-mw0002746971

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 12.04.2015, 06:10 PM   #47547
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Jesus Fuck. Can you see Stockton, CA from your high horse there? Arrogance has to be earned.

Really? That offended you? I was being deliberately absurd.

Forgive me, nobody would say "word" to my list of favorite Pavement songs. How could I have been so presumptuous.

Can we get back to not being assholes now?
Old 12.04.2015, 06:13 PM   #47548
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Can we get back to not being assholes now?

How is that a possibility for you?

Old 12.04.2015, 06:53 PM   #47549
Severian
invito al cielo

Anyway, speaking of Pavement, I'm listening to this "it-band" that's been garnering more than a few comparisons to them... and the Strokes... and Deerhunter...

The band (artist) is called Car Seat Headrest, and even though the name is super 1996 and the cover art is super early '00s MERGE recalling Trail of Dead's baroque Source Tags & Codes inky veneer, the music itself (culled from 11 bandcamp releases over the past couple years and released by Matador in October) is some of the most genuinely exciting lo-fi indie rock I've heard all fucking year.

It sounds derivative at first, but then that shit kinda stops mattering, and it starts to sound less like Is This It? and more like golden era Guided By Voices at their layered, scathing best.

I'm astonished at how good this music is. It's classic indie rock, with power poppy hooks that don't dissolve into embarrassing Weezeresque radio pleas. The lyrics are whipcrack sharp, and the Velvet Underground is alive in this shit, more than they ever were in the Strokes.

Here's hoping they don't turn to shit like most of the other promising nostalgic indie rock bands of the past few years. Seriously, this might be my rawk album of the year. Less musically mature than Viet Cong or Sleater-Kinney, but fresh and fun.

Someone listen to this and agree with me.
Old 12.04.2015, 06:56 PM   #47550
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
How is that a possibility for you?

Seriously? I feel like you absolutely must be joking.

I don't think I treat anyone poorly here. I was just having a bit of fun, patting myself on the back for a stupid non-achievement because what I said seemed to resonate with p-green.

I don't really think I'm "better at Pavement" than anyone. I was just being weird. I don't see how that makes me an asshole.
Old 12.04.2015, 09:59 PM   #47551
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
yeah. what's up with you two? is there some instigated beef I missed? or Genteel steal Soup's password?

hey Sev, if Brighten the Corners is your least favorite, then how do you feel about Terror Twilight? the songs are good but doesn't fit the production. it's a nice swan song. yeah, I don't really put them on as much as I did in my late teens and early 20's, but they still charm.

and tell you the truth, I wouldn't mind seeing your top Pavement tracks. I'm just now getting around to gather some early singles and 10inches that I didn't own on vinyl.

Actually, I probably do prefer BTC to Terror Twilight. Both great albums, but Terror was a weird one to go out on. A bit anticlimactic.

As for songs, I really haven't thought about it in forever, but off the top of my head in rough order it would probably go like this:

1. Texas Never Whispers
2. Kennel District
3. Starlings of the Slipstream
Silence Kit
Fin
Summer Babe (winter version)
Grounded
Trigger Cut…
Loretta's Scars
Frontwards
Greenlander
Home
Shoot the Singer (1 sick verse)
Spit on a Stranger
Perfume-V
Carrot Rope

I need to listen to Westing again. It's been a while. I've also always liked Gangsters and Pranksters, though why? I don't know. Mostly the ones I picked are the ones that made my heart ache for nerdy art school girls back in the day. I think "Texas Never Whispers" is just a triumph of chaotic fuzz rock. A more intense song, I don't believe they ever wrote.
Old 12.04.2015, 11:57 PM   #47552
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I always loved Terror Twilight. "Spit On A Stranger" is one of the prettiest songs of their career. And what about "The Hexx"? "Major Leagues"? "Folk Jam"? "You Are A Light"? "Ann Don't Cry"? Just a solid solid album that gets slept on. I mean it sounds like Malk's first solo album in reality... but it's fucking stellar. (All the TT bsides were great too)

"Spit On A Stranger" might be my fav Pavement song of all time tho. Serious.

S&E is total classic. I adore that album. OMG. "Summer Babe," "Perfume V," "Loretta's Scars," "Unfair," "Zurich Is Stained," "Here", "In The Mouth Of a Desert" - everything!!! I mean I could just name every song and put "!!!" after it.

Westing... is alright. Fun lo-fi companion, but nothing amazing to me. Except "Box Elder" Holy shit great song.

Crooked Rain is fantastic. "Cut Your Hair" was the first track I ever heard by them and I was in love. It's not my fav Pavement album, but I probably return to it more than most others.

Wowee Zowee is kind of hit or miss for me. I love a lot of it, but it feels like a longer album than I need it to be. But I mean, "Grounded" and "Father To A Sister Of Thought" and "Rattled By The Rush".......... ugh. This band! THIS BAND! I love this band so so much.

Brighten The Corners is like... I don't know. It sounds like radio Pavement. Which isn't bad by any means. I think it sounds bad when I say it but I love this record. This is like poppy Pavement that you can expose people to. It's just so good and fun. This album has so many classics... "Shady Lane," "Stereo," "Type Slowly," "Embassy Row," "We Are Underused" - see another album where like every song is worthy of mentioning...

Pavement to me was always way up there w/ SY. One of those bands I gave a fuck about tracking down bsides and all.
Old 12.05.2015, 08:21 AM   #47553
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
you need to get the Static Age album. man!

anyway, anyone know if there is a good new remastered version of Lick My Decals Off, Baby? or do I have to bite the bullet and a good vinyl copy. read years age that it never got officially remastered. I love the album but the tiny sound annoys me after hearing the instrumentals. I know it could sound better.
Well, I got Straight-version, not original, but the next pressing, I think itīs sounding great. I have heard there are version where are no vocals, just instrumental versions of the songs (maybe thatīs also in that box Soup recommended?).
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.05.2015, 12:15 PM   #47554
Severian
invito al cielo

Albums are hard for me because basically the Watery, Domestic EP plus S+E is where it's at. But if I had to go by LP's (and Westing) alone, it would probably look like this:

1. Wowee Zowee
2. Slanted & Enchanted
3. Westing!!
4. Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
5. Brighten the Corners
6. Terror Twilight

But that doesn't seem right either. Crooked Rain had quite a life changing effect on me, but it's hard to appreciate it if I'm not fully immersed in it at the time, and that's a record I haven't listened to in ages.

Brighten the Corners obviously has some of my top songs, but it has some weaker moments.

Wowee Zowee has plenty of highlights but mostly it's just a great album, a record for start to finish listening. Too weird to be taken in bursts.

Well, I'm glad liking Pavement hasn't become completely a completely forgotten pastime.
Old 12.06.2015, 06:00 AM   #47555
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses

Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2015, 09:10 AM   #47556
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Well, I'm glad liking Pavement hasn't become completely a completely forgotten pastime.

I liked them, then didn't, which I did independent of the zeitgeist which seemed to follow the same trajectory. What happened? Was it all the shockingly mediocre SM albums that took the shine off? Anyway, people do seem to be re-warming, and maybe I am too.

A few days ago I came across some CDs I haven't seen in a decade, two were Slanted and Terror. Slanted was so refreshing. Thanks to computers, every amateur nowadays can make a perfect record, but it takes real skill to play this poorly (mostly thanks to the drummer). This album clearly has staying power.

Terror wasn't as bad as I remembered, but I can go another ten years without hearing it. Didn't the producer do this right after Ok Computer? What a joke. Some pretty moments, but putting a lo-fi band into a hi-fi context seems to bring out the defects and obscure the charms. The lyrics are full-on stupid.

By the way, "Grounded" is vaguely "about" doctors. Beyond that, I can't say what any song is about, which is fine and fun for the "early" stuff, but grow up man. Even by Reckoning, Stipe was starting to actually say something with his words while still giving us the lyrical weirdness we crave. To date, SM hasn't matured past Pavement's very first song.

A special band, because they were at their best when they sucked.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2015, 11:50 AM   #47557
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses

Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2015, 12:09 PM   #47558
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
I liked them, then didn't, which I did independent of the zeitgeist which seemed to follow the same trajectory. What happened? Was it all the shockingly mediocre SM albums that took the shine off? Anyway, people do seem to be re-warming, and maybe I am too.

Terror wasn't as bad as I remembered, but I can go another ten years without hearing it. Didn't the producer do this right after Ok Computer? What a joke. Some pretty moments, but putting a lo-fi band into a hi-fi context seems to bring out the defects and obscure the charms. The lyrics are full-on stupid.

By the way, "Grounded" is vaguely "about" doctors. Beyond that, I can't say what any song is about, which is fine and fun for the "early" stuff, but grow up man. Even by Reckoning, Stipe was starting to actually say something with his words while still giving us the lyrical weirdness we crave. To date, SM hasn't matured past Pavement's very first song.

A special band, because they were at their best when they sucked.

I don't know if I've ever shared this with anyone, but in college I took a few throwaway classes at the attached interdisciplinary studies college, and in one of them (something about song or poem writing, or folk music... I forget) I was asked to bring in a song or spoken word poem for group interpretation.

Because I was lazy, and considered the class a no-stakes break from my pretty rigorous studies in behavioral science and political philosophy, I brought in "Shoot the Singer" just because I wanted to watch people struggle to find meaning in it.

I was surprised when the teacher (who, ostensibly, was an expert in this kind of crap) actually managed to thread together a cohesive and believable narrative to the song, line by line. No small feat when dealing with a track that begins:

"Someone took in these pants
Somebody painted over paint painted wood"

But whatever she said made sense, and thought I cant remember a word of it, she did offer a pretty interesting interpretation of the lyrics, which she believed combined to create an overall sense of unexpected change, and the sad nature of how it affects the individual, couples and society.

May have been total Bullshit fluff. But my point is just that there are people out there who believe that SM was writing meaningful songs all along. And if he was doing it in '92, he was probably doing it in '95.

To me Grounded is kind of straightforward for a Pavement song. Doctors, yes, but moreso doctors enjoying the comforts of their lifestyle, worrying about their own kids doing acid, but not so concerned with actually doing their jobs. But I could be wrong. It could be about a documentary SM saw on ants or something on the learning channel.

But one thing's for sure: Grounded has a absolutely phenomenal guitar groove to it. One of the few moments of melody prevailing over chaos and absurdity on Wowee Zowee. That chorus, and the riff that follows (simple as they are) are so powerful that they don't need to have a deeper meaning or significance. They make your stomach drop like you're on a rollercoaster, and the feeling is awesome.

To me that's what music is about more than anything else. I'm more of a music guy than a lyrics guy, really. The lyrics are just a vehicle for the vocal instrument to join in and be part of the music.

Plus lyricists who take themselves too seriously almost always suck.
Old 12.06.2015, 12:14 PM   #47559
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
wasn't "In The Mouth Of A Desert" about Sonic Youth?

can you keep it like an oil well?
when it's underground, out of sight?

I feel like I read that somewhere years ago... don't know where or how true.
Old 12.06.2015, 12:21 PM   #47560
Severian
invito al cielo

But yeah, Terror Twilight sounded way too precious for a band that made their name with sprawling feedback romps and and a sound like jelly.

It ended up feeling more like a Blur record than a Pavement one. Too much emphasis on individual instruments and background sounds, not enough of a squall. You can hear the "Britishness" of it... the attempt to organize and define the sonic elements that are really supposed to be smashed together and smeared all over your brain.

But I do love the absurdity of songs like "Billie" (oh, pretty folk song... what's this about fetuses? Ahh now they're just yelling for no reason!) and "Carrot Rope"... I swear, this song absolutely must be about exactly what it sounds like it's about... a pedo trying to get a of to touch his dick. And yet, what a gorgeous and uplifting moment it is musically. I can't hear that song and not turn it up and sing along and bounce around. It's physically impossible for me.

But still, "Texas Never Whispers" represents the most compelling and powerful sound the band ever achieved. I wish there were more Pavement songs in that vein.

Oh, and I don't think all SM+Jicks albums have sucked. Real Emptional Trash was quite brilliant in my opinion. But yeah, the rest is mostly pretty forgettable. Not as forgettable as J Mascis sans Dino (snore), but yeah- forgettable.
1878227823282368237523762377 2378 237923802381238824282478 > »
-->

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth