Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Free Kitten Q & A
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.30.2008, 01:48 PM   #1
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
sure some have seen this on pitchfork but here it is
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/articl...st-free-kitten

http://assets3.pitchforkmedia.com/im...reekitten.jpg?
http://assets3.pitchforkmedia.com/im...gif?1200372477 Thu: 05-29-08
Guest List: Free Kitten
Guest List by Kim Gordon and Julie Cafritz | Digg this article | Add to del.icio.us

Welcome to the latest edition of Pitchfork's Guest List. Each week, we ask one of our favorite artists to fill us in on what they've been up to lately: which tracks they can't stop spinning, what books they can't put down, and what new bands they've caught on tour. This week it's Free Kitten's Kim Gordon (of Sonic Youth) and Julie Cafritz (Pussy Galore), who engage in a little retail therapy, find an alternative to their kids' violent video games, and call me out on the lousiest Guest List question of all.

>> Favorite New Songs of the Past Year

Kim Gordon: I'm anti-song; I like to listen to whole CDs.

MV/EE with the Golden Road: "Gettin' Gone". I also have to list a demo by the Entrance and a demo by Hush Arbors; they totally rock so I hope they get released as is. Through the winter I listened to Charalambides' Likeness. If I had to pick one song it would be one of the Feist songs on TV. My daughter and her friends have heavily brainwashed me with her music as well.

Julie Cafritz: "Cold Son", Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks; "The Philadelphia Grand Jury", Fiery Furnaces; "Believe E.S.P.", Deerhoof.

>> Favorite Older Songs at the Moment

KG: "When the Levee Breaks", Led Zeppelin; "Suck My Left One", Bikini Kill; "Out of My Mind", Buffalo Springfield.

JC: "Lunatic's Lament", Kevin Ayers; "Love, Love, Love", Pugh Rogefeldt; "Lions", Tones on Tail; "On a Neck, On a Spit", Grizzly Bear.

>> Favorite Venue

KG: The Book Mill, Montague, Mass.

JC: Kim went to see Brian Chippendale at some random house, in the living room. So I thought I'd start a venue in my dirt basement. Very fucking exclusive. So far nobody has found the 50/50 Mason jar split enticing.

>> Favorite New Band

KG: Little Claw.

JC: Well, to borrow a slogan from NBC, "It's New to Me", Grizzly Bear...very pretty.

>> Favorite Song Ever

KG: "Blank Generation", Richard Hell and the Voidoids.

JC: I hate you. Who can answer that? "I'm Not in Love", 10cc; "My New House", the Fall, "I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)", Hall and Oates; "Two States", Pavement. Oops, that's four, and that's just today. I could go on.

>> Best Recent Show

KG: The one in the dirt basement on Rt. 5 with Chippendale.

JC: I should probably say Grizzly Bear, which was last fall, but only when I looked away. Umm, they're painful to watch. Especially the medievally looking guy who crouches down and plays the lute, et al. But I'll have to go with Louis CK. I'll take funny over earnest any day.

>> Last Great Film I Saw

KG: I can't remember the last "great" film I saw, but the last film I saw that didn't suck was Forgetting Sarah Marshall. I liked the full frontal realism.

JC: Tie: Superbad / I'm Not There.

>> Last Great Book I Read

KG: Sway [by Zachary Lazar -Ed.].

JC: I'm an English professor. I don't read. The one about Milton kids having sex and Dean Wareham's Black Postcards...who knew, the drugz. I hope his parents, his ex-wife, his former bandmates, the bands he played on tour with, and his brother don't read it.

>> Favorite Piece of Musical Equipment

KG: Electricity.

JC: Just one?? You've got to be kidding me, because I'm a total gear head. Okay, that would be my first and only amp and guitar, Peavey Bandit & Hondo Formula 1. Do you usually only have boys answer these questions? [Yeah, pretty much. -Ed.]

>> Favorite Record Shop

KG: I don't go to record stores.

JC: I try to stay local, really local. So there's this little record shop that actually delivers things to my home. It's called Amazon. They recently brought me a record I quite fancy, the new Kevin Ayers, Unfairground, which sounds just like his old records, just not quite as good, which is still pretty damn good.

>> Best Purchase of the Past Year

KG: Earrings and necklace by Rebekah Brooks.

JC: You are asking this question of someone who shops to fill the black hole in her soul. It's all a blur. Wait, I know: I shopped around for a new shrink, and he's great.

>> Best Thing I Did This Year

KG: Played noise with my friend at her opening in Paris on her 50th birthday wearing a Rodarte dress.

JC: Skiing Steamboat Springs in April. Not only were the conditions epic, but I got to use my "western" voice the whole time and that was mighty fine.

>> Favorite TV Show at the Moment

KG: "The Wire", "Buffy the Vampire Slayer".

JC: A revolving lineup depending what month of the reality TV calendar we're in: "Top Chef" and "America's Next Top Model" at the moment.

>> Favorite Video Game at the Moment

KG: "Rock Band".

JC: Umm, I'm not a pimply-faced, 15-year-old, masturbating loser, so I don't have one. Instead of violent video games, I like to watch my kids beat the shit out of each other. If I wanna play, I hit one of them.

>> Favorite Radio Show

KG: "The Bill Dwight Show" on Air America.

JC: Well, that would have to be Milo's show on WHFS, but that was 26 years ago. Back then, I also liked listening to D.C.'s morning shock jock, the Greaseman. Now, Joe Puleo's "Air Power" [on WRHC 106.7 FM] out of Kalamazoo, Mich.

>> My Ringtone

KG: Well it was the end of "The Wire" with Snoop talking and the outro music, but since I have a new phone it's "quack, quack, quack"...

JC: Worst question ever, it's brrrrrring brrrrrring. Okay, I'm lying, it's Steely Dan's "Hey Nineteen", which always brings a smile to my face at the same moment that I turn scarlet with embarrassment. So there, you got it out of me. But still, worst question ever.
Old 05.30.2008, 01:58 PM   #2
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
How did i just KNOW MV/EE would be name dropped...

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.30.2008, 02:06 PM   #3
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

KG:"Buffy the Vampire Slayer".

hell yeah.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.30.2008, 02:12 PM   #4
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
This probably had something to do with Jim O leaving the band.

or her husband's near sickness in seeking out and frequeting record stores!

I too have thurstonitis!
Old 05.30.2008, 03:18 PM   #5
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

me too.

I rremmeber Vegas more for the small record store I browsed in for an hour and half and found NOTHING (outside UNLV) than I do the vegas shit!
Old 05.30.2008, 03:38 PM   #6
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I try and hi Waterloo a couple of times a year. My brother lives up in asstown.
Have you gone to Sound on Sound? It is a smaller place, but it has a lot of vinyl and some good selections. I have no idea what the directiosn to get there are, since I just get my brother to tell me every single time.

I found PJ Harvey DRY on vinyl at waterloo used for $10.00 and when I went to the counter with it, some old fuck behind the register started freakin!
"Oh man! Hey, Larry, why did you not tell me we had this?"

I love that
Old 05.30.2008, 03:55 PM   #7
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
Inherit reminds me of A Thousand Leaves.
✌➬ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.30.2008, 04:16 PM   #8
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

JESUS MAN, SOME PEOPLE GET WEIRD WITH THEIR bullshit RECORDS.

sorry for the caps loc!
Old 05.30.2008, 06:55 PM   #9
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

KG: "The Wire", "Buffy the Vampire Slayer".

shit is real
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.30.2008, 07:21 PM   #10
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I just find it so much easier to like JC over KG these days. That's my take on it all.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.30.2008, 07:28 PM   #11
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, for a start JC never charged people £25 to see Perfecty Partner at the Barbican a few years ago
Old 05.30.2008, 07:33 PM   #12
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I didn't know that. Even more reason. Thurston irritates me to high heaven too. Both of them seem like two of the most humourless people imaginable.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.30.2008, 07:38 PM   #13
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

what was worse was that Perfect Partner only lasted about 30 minutes, and was rubbish!
Old 05.31.2008, 07:03 AM   #14
hat and bread
children of satan

hat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
I don't think I've been to Sound On Sound, but I will search it out next time I hit the Capital City. I did find this place down South Lamar Blvd just past the Barton Springs light that had some nice used vinyl. The only problem, they were just a little too proud of it. They had Dylan's, 'Blonde On Blonde' up on the wall. On this release, the 4th side wasn't, "Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowland." I believe it was made up of B sides or unreleased tracks. Anyway, the 3x5 card in the bag said $250 and guy behind the counter acted as if he didn't want to be bothered to get it down......not that I had the desire to spend that much money on a Dylan record.

I hate that place. Rude staff and overpriced records.
The best store in Austin is End of an Ear (On S. 1st St., just before the Oltorf light coming from downtown). Nice helpful staff and very good selection. Give them a visit next time you're in Austin. Probably the best record store in Texas.
What's this thread about?
hat and bread is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.31.2008, 05:33 PM   #15
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Kim is of very little words it seems.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.31.2008, 06:12 PM   #16
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
it also seems that kim endorses a whole lot of fashion apparel, if not she should, with the amount of name dropping that went on during the interview

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.31.2008, 10:59 PM   #17
flophousefloozie
expwy. to yr skull

flophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazifan
it also seems that kim endorses a whole lot of fashion apparel, if not she should, with the amount of name dropping that went on during the interview

She's into the fashion world. It's her thing. I can dig it.
flophousefloozie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.31.2008, 11:12 PM   #18
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
it just seems a bit contrived to say
my favorite gig was the one that i wore a dress by blah blahblah
but yeah, i dont really care

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2008, 10:34 AM   #19
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

i think it's good that she says that stuff, because it annoys people
Old 06.01.2008, 08:27 PM   #20
flophousefloozie
expwy. to yr skull

flophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's asses
Well, why not promote a designer you want to support? It would be the same as saying she bought a piece of art from a particular artist. Or an album from a band.
flophousefloozie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth