Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Is it wrong that i dont feel comfortable being an organ donor?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.27.2008, 09:27 AM   #81
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i don't really see a good reason not to make organ donation compulsory
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2008, 09:40 AM   #82
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i don't really see a good reason not to make organ donation compulsory

Well, I certainly wouldn't trust the UK government to implement such a scheme. It'd inevitably lead to people having to donate organs whilst the donor is still alive. A situation that I'm afraid already exists in certain regions in China, all with full State knowledge/collusion. In fact, I've just remembered, didn't Alder Hay Hospital in Bristol remove organs from dead babies without the parent's consent? That caused a hell of a stink, leading (rightly, in my opinion), to the regulations re donation being considerably tightened.

On another basis, there are religious groups who actively oppose organ donation (the Jehovah's Witnesses is the first that comes to mind) - I'm sure they'd challenge any compulsion on grounds of morality.

Thirdly, there's the relationship issue. What if you're dying, and you were told that your liver/kidney etc was going to help a close relative who you couldn't stand, to the point of sheer hatred? Surely it's the donor's right to say "no" to that, ultimately?
Old 05.27.2008, 09:43 AM   #83
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
If someone donates an organ out of guilt, as opposed to being motivated by a genuine desire to help, then they've been press-ganged into "doing the right thing". If there's one thing guaranteed to make me NOT donate, it's other people using emotive techniques in a forceful manner on me, a tactic that'll bring out a "fuck you" reaction pretty much straight away.

Tha's YOUR issue man, and has no bearing on the validity of people's appeals to you.
Old 05.27.2008, 09:53 AM   #84
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
^^^Indeed is is, which is which I was giving a personal view on this. I'm not so stupid as to not see the benefits of organ donation myself, but that isn't really the point I'm addressing there. You have a strong viewpoint on this issue, and I respect that (especially considering what you have said re. your mother). I equally have my own viewpoint, in which I'm looking at this from an individual perspective....I'm not telling you that you're wrong; however, I get the feeling that you're basically calling me out for being selfish for choosing the "no donation" way should I wish to...am I misunderstanding you, or is that correct?
Old 05.27.2008, 10:06 AM   #85
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I was not calling you selfish man. I was saying that to have a knee-jerk reaction such as you described should be analyzed by you, and you should try to determine why you feel such a strong reaftion when people come at you with this issue.
it is totally cool to not be an organ donor. do what you want, but I know you understand how emotional this issue is for people, and sometimes, after repeat instances of people using irrational and emotional "reasons" for not donating organs, one can get quite agitated man.
Old 05.27.2008, 10:08 AM   #86
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

^^^That makes sense, Rob. Cheers for clarifying.
Old 05.27.2008, 01:21 PM   #87
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
yes it is radio ethiopia

but i drew it off the back of the record, i don't speak amharic.

you drew that? nice! I thought it was an icon taken from somwhere..

it would take a shitload more then speaking, I knew that said radio ethiopia cuz it was sort of obvious, but I set out to actually read it anyways, and remember that was written in the Ethiopian fidel [alphabet, script] not the latin characters, so to read the actual Ge'ez/Amharic script is much much more difficult. Ethiopians here in the US never cease to amaze me at their linguistic abilities, being able to read fluently two different scripts, and be absolutely poetic in both languages in all regards of speaking. intelligent bastards makes deprived Americans like myself look silly. The african school children I am hoping to teach on average speak four or five languages, and would think we were quite uncivilized to only know one or two..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2008, 04:11 PM   #88
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles eugene
I just imagine the needle actually piercing through skin and into a little vein. it just makes me get a wierd face

ive just fainted sweatily!
Old 05.27.2008, 07:11 PM   #89
lucyrulesok
100%

lucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
In fact, I've just remembered, didn't Alder Hay Hospital in Bristol remove organs from dead babies without the parent's consent? That caused a hell of a stink, leading (rightly, in my opinion), to the regulations re donation being considerably tightened.

i remember this... it was really horrible, in the end i think some of the parents ended up getting organs returned to them in a little box for burial. very distressing.

i don't give a damn what happens to me after i die, so long as none of my loved ones is upset by it.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth