Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.01.2016, 04:45 AM   #19421
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
looks like MST3K fodder

Creepozoids, definitely, but The Sand kind of transcends it. Not saying it's a masterpiece and it's not trying to be something it isn't but I'd be surprised if its director doesn't land a bigger budget production on the strength of it.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2016, 04:45 AM   #19422
d.sound
the destroyed room

d.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's asses

d.sound is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2016, 07:40 AM   #19423
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
that's exactly how i felt about your asinine evaluation of a movie that went over your head

i mean you spend countless pages discussing the ins and outs of movies about men in tights, but for a great film adaptation of a great play with the best role ever for f. murray abraham, a fantastic score, spectacular cinematography and an insane period recreation through sets and costumes, and even operas on display, all to serve a mythical-level depiction of envy and jealousy and resentment in the face of genius that has left its mark in the culture---and all you have to say is "blah"?

maybe if mozart wore a gold cape and salieri had radioactive tentacles coming out of his head and they fought over cgi backgrounds you'd offer some analysis

i'm not saying liking it is mandatory, as tastes vary wildly; but to dismiss this huge work so overconfidently betrays massive ignorance for someone who wants to write about film. or, in the words of omar little, come at the king, you best not miss.

You don't have to be a patronizing dick because we disagree about a movie. No, really, you don't. If I've ever done that to you, tell me so I can slap myself for being a bitch.

You know, it's not even that I so strongly dislike the film. As I said, I admire its ambition, its scope. I admire its inherent irony, and the performances in the film. I'm not bandwagon hopping "historical accuracy" Nazi — not in this case anyway — because I think the point of the film and play is not to form a definitive statement of who Mozart truly was, but rather to spin an epic tale about friendship, competition, greed, and a childish refusal to let go of ego-driven grudges. Yes, it's a hell of a spectacle. The film, as a film, is — or has been — unquestionably influencial, and it brings Mozart's work to life in a grand (if a bit, as SFAD said, "eurotrashy" way).

The truth is that the film is simply not enjoyable to me. F. Murray Abraham is wonderful, but Hulce's performance, and much of the garish aesthetic, are migraine-inducing. As a work of film it is enviable in many respects however, and I know that even Hulce's nails-on-chalkboard yelps serve a purpose, but it's goddamn tooth curling all the same.

So if I'm going to be honest, I'd have to say that the film is definitely a monumental achievement, and the elements you mentioned are all points in its favor. Buf it also goes down like cough syrup. Sickeningly sweet and, in the end, narcotizing. Just because it's a big fucking to-do, doesn't mean I have to like it, and not liking it (or anything) does not translate to being "not (intellectually) equipped" to talk about it. If I knew you were going to have a tantrum over my saying it was shit, I would certainly have elaborated. But Christ, you're acting like I said you were shit. A conclusion only a puffed up snob would come to.

But seriously, fuck you for taking the low road and insulting my intelligence simply because I don't jizz my pants over one of the most controversial movies in history. I'm hardly the first person to have qualms with the film.

And you're hardly the first person to sing its praises. It won Best Picture. It's been the subject of countless thesis and dissertation works. It's adored by community college music teachers the world over, so guess what you snobby fuck? You're not going to win any IQ contests by rattling off a bunch of reasons why it's good.

You're better than this. I would like to think of you as an eloquent enough person to be able to disagree with someone without immediately resorting to making fun, patronizing, and implying that they are "not equipped" to talk about a movie that's been dissected and mooned over, and dissected more, and torn to pieces, by everyone and their grandmother over the past 32 years. If you're looking for something to act high and mighty about, I truly feel sorry for you that Amadeus is that thing.

Keep making nasty patronizing references to superheroes, though. We all know that liking "capes and tights" doth a true idiot make. I definitely deserve all your huffy, elevated ire, and this — you're little hissy fit — was clearly the BEST way to tell me that you disagree with me about Amadeus, and don't appreciate my three word evaluation of the film.

Much more effective and civilized than... I don't know... asking me why I don't like the movie. Yes, better to just huck insults first and explain later when confronted with an opposing opinion, hmm?

Again, this has been embarrassing for you.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2016, 08:13 AM   #19424
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Has anyone else noticed that there's never been a disagreement on SYG until d.sound showed up?
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2016, 08:26 AM   #19425
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
You don't have to be a patronizing dick because we disagree about a movie. No, really, you don't. If I've ever done that to you, tell me so I can slap myself for being a bitch.

You know, it's not even that I so strongly dislike the film. As I said, I admire its ambition, its scope. I admire its inherent irony, and the performances in the film. I'm not bandwagon hopping "historical accuracy" Nazi — not in this case anyway — because I think the point of the film and play is not to form a definitive statement of who Mozart truly was, but rather to spin an epic tale about friendship, competition, greed, and a childish refusal to let go of ego-driven grudges. Yes, it's a hell of a spectacle. The film, as a film, is — or has been — unquestionably influencial, and it brings Mozart's work to life in a grand (if a bit, as SFAD said, "eurotrashy" way).

The truth is that the film is simply not enjoyable to me. F. Murray Abraham is wonderful, but Hulce's performance, and much of the garish aesthetic, are migraine-inducing. As a work of film it is enviable in many respects however, and I know that even Hulce's nails-on-chalkboard yelps serve a purpose, but it's goddamn tooth curling all the same.

So if I'm going to be honest, I'd have to say that the film is definitely a monumental achievement, and the elements you mentioned are all points in its favor. Buf it also goes down like cough syrup. Sickeningly sweet and, in the end, narcotizing. Just because it's a big fucking to-do, doesn't mean I have to like it, and not liking it (or anything) does not translate to being "not (intellectually) equipped" to talk about it. If I knew you were going to have a tantrum over my saying it was shit, I would certainly have elaborated. But Christ, you're acting like I said you were shit. A conclusion only a puffed up snob would come to.

But seriously, fuck you for taking the low road and insulting my intelligence simply because I don't jizz my pants over one of the most controversial movies in history. I'm hardly the first person to have qualms with the film.

And you're hardly the first person to sing its praises. It won Best Picture. It's been the subject of countless thesis and dissertation works. It's adored by community college music teachers the world over, so guess what you snobby fuck? You're not going to win any IQ contests by rattling off a bunch of reasons why it's good.

You're better than this. I would like to think of you as an eloquent enough person to be able to disagree with someone without immediately resorting to making fun, patronizing, and implying that they are "not equipped" to talk about a movie that's been dissected and mooned over, and dissected more, and torn to pieces, by everyone and their grandmother over the past 32 years. If you're looking for something to act high and mighty about, I truly feel sorry for you that Amadeus is that thing.

Keep making nasty patronizing references to superheroes, though. We all know that liking "capes and tights" doth a true idiot make. I definitely deserve all your huffy, elevated ire, and this — you're little hissy fit — was clearly the BEST way to tell me that you disagree with me about Amadeus, and don't appreciate my three word evaluation of the film.

Much more effective and civilized than... I don't know... asking me why I don't like the movie. Yes, better to just huck insults first and explain later when confronted with an opposing opinion, hmm?

Again, this has been embarrassing for you.

what a shit comment. i applaud the ambition, but fuck that noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Has anyone else noticed that there's never been a disagreement on SYG until d.sound showed up?

i know! we were all little lambs until just the other day

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666

Frankenhooker

I love Frank Henenlotter and I put this only just behind the 1st Basket Case as my fave of his. To think that Driving Miss Daisy won the Oscar for best film that year.

This i neeed to watch
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2016, 08:42 AM   #19426
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Wow. You are really being a massive prick right now.

Thought you wanted a discussion, professor. Guess you just wanted to sling insults and pull a bait and switch. A hypocrite twice over. Well done. You must feel very proud.
Old 09.01.2016, 08:45 AM   #19427
Severian
invito al cielo

I feel so put-in-my-place now. I will never deign to offer a casual opinion of anything ever, now that the better class has taught me that it's not proper.
Old 09.01.2016, 08:56 AM   #19428
confusion is next
bad moon rising

confusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's asses

confusion is next is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2016, 09:16 AM   #19429
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Wow. You are really being a massive prick right now.

Thought you wanted a discussion, professor. Guess you just wanted to sling insults and pull a bait and switch. A hypocrite twice over. Well done. You must feel very proud.

i just recycled your words to close the loop! these ones:

Quote:
What a shit film. I applaud the ambition, but fuck that noise.

...which i thought was kind of hilarious, actually. well, to me, anyway.

i get that perspectives vary though, so i don't expect anybody else to laugh, but i thought it worked on a kind of meta-level, as a demonstration instead of an explanation.

i know i often miss the mark, but i aim for concision.
Old 09.01.2016, 09:44 AM   #19430
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
i just recycled your words to close the loop! these ones:

...which i thought was kind of hilarious, actually. well, to me, anyway.

i get that perspectives vary though, so i don't expect anybody else to laugh, but i thought it worked on a kind of meta-level, as a demonstration instead of an explanation.

i know i often miss the mark, but i aim for concision.

Jesus Christ! You think I needed that to be explained to me? Think I forgot what I said? That I wouldn't "get" your "joke"?
My god. You've never been this insulting or condescending to anyone — not that I've seen, anyway — certainly not me. Did some fool hack your account? Am I talking to Genteel Death here?

Well, you've cleared up the *mysteries* surrounding your last super meta post, and put it into words my infantile mind may be able to someday wrap itself around, but there's still the matter of your acting like a highly reactive, superior snob. It would be just great if you'd address that, maybe even apologize for very clearly trying to hurt my feelings because I casually expressed an opinion about a film.

Had I known that the feature film Amadeus was in fact your mother, I would have never called it a shamelss whore.

(Did you get that? Probably not because, being the kind of asshole who calls people stupid for not sharing my taste in movies, I assume that people are fucking idiots who don't understand things, so I'll break it down for you:
What I meant was that I wouldn't have called the film shit if I thought someone would react like such a fucking asshole about it.)
Old 09.01.2016, 09:53 AM   #19431
Severian
invito al cielo

My feelings are fine, by the way. I don't feel bad or embarrassed about having committed the sin of liking Batman.

You should probably feel a little bad, and very embarrassed, however. Especially after taking me to task for being a classist. It's a special kind of low when you use what you know about someone to deliberately attempt to hurt them when they've done nothing to warrant such a personal attack.
This has been quite pathetic. Really.
Old 09.01.2016, 10:15 AM   #19432
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusion is next

yoo that shit was funny
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2016, 10:30 AM   #19433
Severian
invito al cielo

I've heard some good things about this horror/suspense flick, Don't Breathe. Anyone seen it? Care to share any thoughts?

Old 09.01.2016, 11:07 AM   #19434
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

jeezus, i didn't expect that criticizing an asinine opinion you have about something you understand so poorly would cause you to shit your pants

i can't read all of the the long-winded retorts, and replying to them would take days and just invite more--hopeless

yes yes, i'm an asshole. also i'm sorely unequipped for a lot of things i know nothing about. who knew i wasn't perfect! watch me collapse now in despair, my ego wounded out of its narcissistic bubble
Old 09.01.2016, 11:12 AM   #19435
confusion is next
bad moon rising

confusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by deflinus
yoo that shit was funny

my daughter subscribe that. ahaha yeah good for sundays morning.
confusion is next is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2016, 12:02 PM   #19436
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
jeezus, i didn't expect that criticizing an asinine opinion you have about something you understand so poorly would cause you to shit your pants

i can't read all of the the long-winded retorts, and replying to them would take days and just invite more--hopeless

yes yes, i'm an asshole. also i'm sorely unequipped for a lot of things i know nothing about. who knew i wasn't perfect! watch me collapse now in despair, my ego wounded out of its narcissistic bubble

It's not an asinine opinion, it's just a different one.
But you didn't didn't criticize my opinion, you criticized me. Personally. And you you continue to insist that this film is somehow beyond my ability to understand, which is extremely insulting.

At least when I fucked up and said something that you construed as being "classist" I did everything I could to clarify, and I reflected on what I'd said and apologized. If you read my long-winded retorts, you'd understand that that's what I expect from you. You should consider reading things before you decide that replying to them would be "hopeless."

You're smart enough to know exactly how you're being offensive, dismissive and insulting. Don't pretend to be surprised that I reacted to your called my intelligence into question. If you're going to start shit, you should at least see it through.
Old 09.01.2016, 12:08 PM   #19437
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
severian you should have known !@#$! is a rebel..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2016, 12:11 PM   #19438
Severian
invito al cielo

And for the love of God, stop acting as though Amadeus is some kind of conplex, misunderstood masterpiece. It's literally one of the most well known films of all time. It's hilarious that you would get huffy and snobby about THAT Milos Forman film.

I don't even actually think you know or care what the fuck you're talking about. The mere suggestion that Amadeus is beyond anyone's comprehension says more about your own apparently VERY limited ideas about what complexity is than any of your professorial posturing. You're like a kid in a dorm room preaching about the complexity of Avatar.
Old 09.01.2016, 12:18 PM   #19439
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
severian you should have known !@#$! is a rebel..

I'm actually disappointed. Not offended, or hurt, or mad that someone wants to troll me and then slink away, offering nothing to the conversation but repeated implications about my apparent stupidity...

But I'm disappointed that !@#$! — the artist formerly known as Slambang — is the one doing it.
[comment removed]
Old 09.01.2016, 12:32 PM   #19440
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
I'm actually disappointed. Not offended, or hurt, or mad that someone wants to troll me and then slink away, offering nothing to the conversation but repeated implications about my apparent stupidity...

But I'm disappointed that !@#$! — the artist formerly known as Slambang — is the one doing it. This is a guy I spoke openly with about-------------------. So yeah... disappointed.

jeezus fucking christ man, now you're being a next-level donkey

what does your asinine opinion on a film have to do with a major life crisis?

it's like--- those two things are equivalent to you?

now i really believe you're acting like a proper dunce

someone though you said something stupid

it's gotta be the end of the world. because it's gotta. the end. of the world. i mean. how can it be. that they think that. major crimes. your image.

i'm sorely unequipped to say this in a different way, but i think you're being narcissistic and hysterical

and that's exactly why i can't argue this out with you

madness
872922962969970971 972 97397497598210221072 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth