Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café II
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.29.2013, 05:00 PM   #501
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I'm with you man. I could take my SY albums and 90's hip hop albums and throw everything else away and still be happy forever.
Old 06.29.2013, 05:01 PM   #502
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
btw, all week I've just been listening to tracks on youtube of all the jazz that's sampled on Midnight Marauders. It's just fucking unbelievable the ear the Q-Tip had. Unreal.
Old 06.29.2013, 06:20 PM   #503
noisereductions
invito al cielo

fav slashers off the top of my head-

Opera - Argento's giallo. You should see this to kind of see where slashers came from.

Halloween - the granddaddy. Amazing. So tense.

Friday the 13th (series) - so hard to choose a fav. Though I'd probably go with VI if I had to choose. But that series is so big for me. Just the whole 'kids getting killed in the woods' thing. Just so cliche but for good reason.

The Burning - made the same year as F13 and based on same urban legend of Cropsy. Only it has Cropsy. And Michael Richards. And amazing liferaft scene.
So underrated.

Slumber Party Massacre/Sorority House Massacre (series) - there's a bunch of these. They're all really different and get really trippy and arty. Very interesting films that hide behind blood and boobs.

Sleepaway Camp (series) - or at least trilogy. The 4th was meh. The 1st and 2nd are my favs. 2nd wins, but they're so so different you need to see both.

April Fool's Day/Happy Birthday To Me/My Bloody Valentine - Canada pumped out some excellent slashers in the 80's.

Scream - totally jumpstarted slashers. I LOVE this movie hardcore. Just brilliant in design. The 4th was the next best in the series and again - brilliant. See both.

Black Xmas - the remake. Fuck the original film. I said it. Wanna fight?

Behind The Mask - this film (like Scream) breaks down the whole genre, but this does it in a mockumentary way. It's so brainy if you're into the genre.

...these are some landmark ones that pop in my head right away, but I know I'm missing a bunch of favs.

Id' also recommend (big time) Going To Pieces which is a documentary about the slasher genre. It is required watching y'all.

(Oh and I don't consider Nightmare on Elm St a slasher so much. The whole dreams thing. I love the series, but it doesn't quite fit my description. But you should def see 1 and 3 and I personally love 6 thought it's not great by most folk's standards).

(A lot of other films like Evil Dead or Night of the Demons or Texas Chainsaw etc will get lumped in w/ slashers but I don't know. I'm picky with the title. I tend to go by the One Little Indian idea of a dude stalking teens...)
Old 06.29.2013, 07:09 PM   #504
noisereductions
invito al cielo

louder, I'm curious how old you are and when you got into hip hop?

I'm 32, and I'd say that it was the release of The Chronic that hooked me.
Old 06.29.2013, 10:08 PM   #505
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions

Who in their early to mid 30s wasn't persuaded by The Chronic and Doggiestyle? Shit. For a brief 3 years, Los Angeles OWNED the world through our local rap music. Good times.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.30.2013, 08:14 AM   #506
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

i'm turning 22 in a couple of weeks. found out about hip-hop with some shitty local rapper in 2001. one year later, 8 Mile came out. i watched it in the cinema, even though i was 11 and the age limit was like 16+. anyway, it changed my life. then i read somewhere that there are some black rappers who are better than Eminem. so i downloaded Doggystyle from Kazaa. but i think that in some way, it wasn't until Graduation that i became absolutely obsessed with hip-hop.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.30.2013, 08:16 AM   #507
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
fav slashers off the top of my head-

Opera - Argento's giallo. You should see this to kind of see where slashers came from.

Halloween - the granddaddy. Amazing. So tense.

Friday the 13th (series) - so hard to choose a fav. Though I'd probably go with VI if I had to choose. But that series is so big for me. Just the whole 'kids getting killed in the woods' thing. Just so cliche but for good reason.

The Burning - made the same year as F13 and based on same urban legend of Cropsy. Only it has Cropsy. And Michael Richards. And amazing liferaft scene.
So underrated.

Slumber Party Massacre/Sorority House Massacre (series) - there's a bunch of these. They're all really different and get really trippy and arty. Very interesting films that hide behind blood and boobs.

Sleepaway Camp (series) - or at least trilogy. The 4th was meh. The 1st and 2nd are my favs. 2nd wins, but they're so so different you need to see both.

April Fool's Day/Happy Birthday To Me/My Bloody Valentine - Canada pumped out some excellent slashers in the 80's.

Scream - totally jumpstarted slashers. I LOVE this movie hardcore. Just brilliant in design. The 4th was the next best in the series and again - brilliant. See both.

Black Xmas - the remake. Fuck the original film. I said it. Wanna fight?

Behind The Mask - this film (like Scream) breaks down the whole genre, but this does it in a mockumentary way. It's so brainy if you're into the genre.

...these are some landmark ones that pop in my head right away, but I know I'm missing a bunch of favs.

Id' also recommend (big time) Going To Pieces which is a documentary about the slasher genre. It is required watching y'all.

(Oh and I don't consider Nightmare on Elm St a slasher so much. The whole dreams thing. I love the series, but it doesn't quite fit my description. But you should def see 1 and 3 and I personally love 6 thought it's not great by most folk's standards).

(A lot of other films like Evil Dead or Night of the Demons or Texas Chainsaw etc will get lumped in w/ slashers but I don't know. I'm picky with the title. I tend to go by the One Little Indian idea of a dude stalking teens...)
this is exactly what i've been looking for! thank you so much, can't rep you enough. gonna have a lot of watching to do now.
Old 06.30.2013, 09:54 AM   #508
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Only the early 80s when they were actually FILMS and then got too popularized and became flicks. While the hallmark 80s slasher and horror flicks are entertaining, the film caliber stuff is superb and stand alone quality. I'd say the best eras in horror film was late 70s to the early 80s, and then the early to mid-1990s. The 2000s as essentially been to horror what the height of 80s cheese was..

In regards to horror flicks:

You must catch up with the John Carpenter back catalog. In particular the original Halloween, The Thing, Prince of Darkness, and Into the Mouth of Madness.

Clive Barker's Lord of Illusions, Nightbreed, and the original Hellraiser are crucial.

I have to agree here... With this half of the post at least. The bottom is a little off... M. Night? Seriously?

The Orphanage, while terrifying, is not really a horror film. It's a thriller with ghosts in it. It has a happy(ish) ending, and it's only terrifying until the mystery is solved, and then it's just a little sad. Very well made film, though.

Pan's Labyrinth is also not horror. It's fantasy with some scary bits. Might as well call Lord of the Rings horror. Sorry.

But you're spot on about John Carpenter. The Thing and the first Halloween are absolute classics, and great films to boot.

I'm glad we all agree about the first Hellraiser. Better than the second. A completely original horror film. Nobody should ever punish themselves by watching the third, fourth, fifth, etc. Jesus Christ did those movies suck.

I actually enjoy some of the "flicks" of the '80s. I enjoy some of their 2000s reboots too. Namely Friday the 13th (kinda), and especially the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remakes.

But Rob Zombie's Halloween- his first Halloween- is fucking incredible. I may catch hell for it, but that man can make one hell of a horror film when he sets his mind to it and gets serious. The second one was disappointing, but I almost prefer his Halloween to Carpenter's. I think it is the best high profile slasher film in years and years. I saw it in the theatre on opening day, and I was mesmerized (not only by the tits of that lovely Sherrif's daughter) but by the eloquence and artistry behind those unbelievable gory, and ridiculously long "knife scenes." That was real edge of your seat shit. I've never seen a film that captivated its audience to endure such long and drawn out periods of discomfort.

I'm also a big fan of House of 1000 Corpses, but that was just playtime. Halloween was kind of a masterpiece, and it was scary as all hell.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.30.2013, 10:24 AM   #509
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

NR, you and I have a creepy amount in common.

However, it wasn't The Chronic that hooked me. I was actually quite put off by most hip hop during the early '90s. The only artist I was really a fan of was Wu-Tang Clan and Tribe for quite a while. I disliked gangsta rap altogether until somewhere around '96, when I started listening to the tracks on Ready to Die that didn't feature Method Man. (That's right, I initially bought the album for one song... Sacrilege, I know.) I felt guilty about liking Wu Tang, because of their semi-gangsta affiliation. I thought gangsta rap was for stupid people, and I was a Tribe/De La Soul/Paul's Boutique kind of guy until the revelation of Biggie's genius made me want to investigate further. Oh, and I was also a big fan of Nas and the Fugees at that point. Nas seemed like the thinking man's gangsta. Illmatic was definitely an essential album for me in the early years.

I didn't bother with the Chronic until after All Eyez on Me. Though I did have a copy of Doggystyle for some reason. To this day, I can't quite claim to be a fan of Dre. The Chronic is brilliant, and he's probably the most influential producer in the history of the genre, but I still consider him a second tier artist.

Anyway, the album that turned me into a hip hop *fan* and not just a fan of certain hip hop, was Dr. Octegonecologyst. That was the album that combined me that there was genius in the genre as a whole, and that there was no point in ignoring certain sub-genres, or discriminating based on region or style.

Not that you asked me. Hah.
Old 06.30.2013, 12:57 PM   #510
noisereductions
invito al cielo

sev,

I only liked the Texas Chainsaw that was a prequel for the new ones. I actually, I hate most films in that entire series besides the original. And I feel like it was a fluke as Hooper has never made another film close to as good.

I liked the F13 remake a lot.

I loved RZ's Halloween. I don't consider it a remake though. It's more backstory, almostly like a prequel. BTW, the director's cut of RZ's H2 is better than the theatrical cut.

Hip hop wise, I was just obsessed w/ everything growing up. Obscure East Coast stuff, gangsta rap, Native Tongues. Just everything.
Old 06.30.2013, 12:59 PM   #511
noisereductions
invito al cielo

ps, the first concert I ever went to was The Roots a few months before Illadelph came out. It was life-changing for me for sure!
Old 07.01.2013, 06:34 AM   #512
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
ps, the first concert I ever went to was The Roots a few months before Illadelph came out. It was life-changing for me for sure!

I forgot the Roots. They were another "safe" hip hop group for my pansied indie pop ass. And yeah, Illadelph was the album that got me into them.
Old 07.01.2013, 06:36 AM   #513
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
you are jokin, right?!?(aka trolling, fucking around and high as shit).

worst film i've ever seen in a theater. i had to apologize to my lovely female friend for bringing her to such a bore fuck. i think i made things up when we ate at fucking Applebees later. so bad i didn't even remember what happen an hour later....Let's see: summer of 2007?...... no, i was definitely sober and wide eyed.

what an embarrassment.

You're talking about RZ's Halloween?
You must be on GHB or something. That movie was incredible.
Old 07.01.2013, 07:36 AM   #514
louder
invito al cielo

yo Sev, have you already checked out Run the Jewels? incredible stuff.
Old 07.01.2013, 02:04 PM   #515
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses

late night driving to the weed spot, I got two hands but I'm known to carry three glocks

Old 07.01.2013, 02:44 PM   #516
noisereductions
invito al cielo

^I like that one. I've never really been able to get into the first 2 Bobby Digital albums honestly.
Old 07.01.2013, 02:46 PM   #517
louder
invito al cielo

Joey Badass' new mixtape is out. http://www.livemixtapes.com/mixtapes...r-knights.html
Old 07.01.2013, 04:04 PM   #518
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
^I like that one. I've never really been able to get into the first 2 Bobby Digital albums honestly.

I only listen to the Prince Rakeem era of RZA, the Bob Digi is shit production and the post-Rakeem era is to self-absorbed. But 2001-2005 RZA is solid gold, conscious, roots HIP-HOP!

Currently I'm bumping that Slick Rick revival.

Damn. This album was straight up one of the top-10 on the 1990s (and all things considering, maybe the 1980s).. The beats. The flow. The patented Slick Rick cadence which made him known as Slick. That fact that this cat succeeded where he left off getting out of jail yo! Phenomenal, and big up to the Outkasts for helping make it happen, their name on that single alone helped this album push units because at that time they were bigger than Tupac!

Old 07.01.2013, 06:45 PM   #519
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder

downloading noww...
Old 07.01.2013, 08:26 PM   #520
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
yo Sev, have you already checked out Run the Jewels? incredible stuff.

Downloaded it this morning, blasted it to hell all day. I've been kind of "off" El-P lately. Not sure why, but I skip him when he pops up on my iTunes (unless it's Company Flow, cause, y'know... It's company flow). I fucking Love Run the Jewels though, and I think it's a perfect excuse for my to start killing my eardrums with Fantastic Damage again.

Now I'm trolling for Ubderground hip hop because I've exhausted all the resources the headlining crowd has to offer (for the moment)... But I cannot find a mixtape that can beat Tree's Sunday School II. Help me, louder.
232425 26 27282936 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth