Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Pavement ripped off the Fall
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.20.2006, 02:47 PM   #1
RockerNino
bad moon rising

RockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's asses
I read this off Wikipedia the other day.

The Fall's primary member, Mark E. Smith, would often angrily claim through the years that Pavement was a "rip-off" of his band [3] and that they didn't "have an original idea in their heads."

Does anyone know any songs that I could listen to that would support Smith's claim? Or is this just bullshit and Pavement sound completely original. I haven't heard much of the Fall so I couldn't judge.
RockerNino is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2006, 02:49 PM   #2
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
the only songs that sound like the fall are off of slanted ad enchanted and westing by musket ane sextant, and then it is the slower ones, stuff like HERE and summer babe. fuck the FALL. FUCK THE FALL
they can eat a dead donkey's chancred asshole.
Old 04.20.2006, 02:55 PM   #3
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
you fell on the pavment and got ripped?

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2006, 02:59 PM   #4
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
the fall and pavement are two wholly different things. mightas well go around telling the world that every single band ripped off the beatles, and that metallica ripped off the misfits and that alice in chains ripped off megadeth and that sonic youth ripped off the velvet underground, etc etc.

fuck those whiny bitches from the fall.
Old 04.20.2006, 03:01 PM   #5
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
summer babe? that one sounds more like my bloody valentine than the fall

listen to two states and conduit for sale

now, excuse me, i have to go burn my pavement records because they were such rip offs!!!
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2006, 03:04 PM   #6
RockerNino
bad moon rising

RockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's asses
I mean. i dont agree or anything, but I just wanted someone to recommend me some Fall music that is reminiscent of Pavement or has similar sounds because it might be a good place to start to listen to the Fall.
RockerNino is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2006, 03:06 PM   #7
etertiena
little trouble girl

etertiena has tongues queuing up for a rim-festetertiena has tongues queuing up for a rim-festetertiena has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
summer babe? that one sounds more like my bloody valentine than the fall

listen to two states and conduit for sale

now, excuse me, i have to go burn my pavement records because they were such rip offs!!!

my bloody valentine?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!??!?!?!!?!?! ? not to be an ass, but you have to be kidding.
etertiena is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2006, 03:09 PM   #9
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by etertiena
my bloody valentine?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!??!?!?!!?!?! ? not to be an ass, but you have to be kidding.

ok, like slowdive or ride; i mean, that wall of guitars?
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2006, 03:11 PM   #10
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
Listen to New Face In Hell by The Fall and then Conduit For Sale! by Pavement. Then you will now why Mark talks shit about them
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2006, 03:29 PM   #11
Dan
bad moon rising

Dan has tongues queuing up for a rim-festDan has tongues queuing up for a rim-festDan has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest
Malkmus' response from a Thurston Moore interview where he references the claim:

“Ripping them off? What does that mean, that I am getting rich sounding like them?”
Dan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2006, 03:38 PM   #12
hotbutterknives
bad moon rising

hotbutterknives kicks all y'all's asseshotbutterknives kicks all y'all's asseshotbutterknives kicks all y'all's asseshotbutterknives kicks all y'all's asseshotbutterknives kicks all y'all's asseshotbutterknives kicks all y'all's asseshotbutterknives kicks all y'all's asseshotbutterknives kicks all y'all's asseshotbutterknives kicks all y'all's asseshotbutterknives kicks all y'all's asseshotbutterknives kicks all y'all's asses
but then again, malkmus himself did admit that when they started , he wanted to sound like the fall and all their early album covers looks almost identical as othe fall lps
hotbutterknives is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2006, 03:53 PM   #13
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

hey, influence is influence, and a young band is going to wear theirs on their sleve, especially pavement which was just malkmus and spiral stairs for a while, then their drummer, Young. OF COURSE they sound like their idols. I mean, complaining about this is stupid and the dudes in thefall can eat it.

may as well call Polvo and Unwound rip-offs too for sounding like the GODS OF ROCK, SONIC YOUTH
Old 04.20.2006, 04:05 PM   #14
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
I don't like the fall. I like pavement. I guess the rip-offs did it better.
Old 04.20.2006, 04:30 PM   #15
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDom
Listen to New Face In Hell by The Fall and then Conduit For Sale! by Pavement. Then you will now why Mark talks shit about them

Do it, they are one and the same.
I like pavement and the fall, the influence is only on the surface on Slanted and enchanted and bits of crooked rain, after that pavement found their own sound a bit. Indie-bitching is shit in the extreme.

Pavement are a nice band with nice songs, The Fall are a nasty band with nasty songs. Depending on how youre feeling, either can be better.
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2006, 04:37 PM   #16
etertiena
little trouble girl

etertiena has tongues queuing up for a rim-festetertiena has tongues queuing up for a rim-festetertiena has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
ok, like slowdive or ride; i mean, that wall of guitars?

well, yeah, theres distortion, but theres not really a WALL of guitars. i mean, of course i see what you mean, but mbv and slowdive went a lot further with that huuuge distorted sound.
etertiena is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2006, 04:41 PM   #17
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
Both bands kick ass. Originality is overrated.
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2006, 10:22 PM   #18
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Everybody rips off everybody whether it is intentional or not.
Old 04.20.2006, 10:31 PM   #19
dietzer123
stalker

dietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard sucka
the only song i can think of there's that sounds like the fall seems like a tribute to them by adopting their style. they do it with a number of artists and it never seems like they're exploiting the artists talent as much as giving them a musical compliment
Old 04.21.2006, 01:25 AM   #20
The 97th Hammer
bad moon rising

The 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard sucka
I find a fair number of similarities between Pavement and The Fall esp. between both bands early records. I'd also say the same with The Swell Maps (Listen to "The Helicopter Spies"). I'll also admit it took me a while to see why Pavement were accused of ripping off The Fall. I loved Pavement a few years ago but now The Fall have so much more substance.
The 97th Hammer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth