Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.06.2017, 10:24 AM   #21261
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
apparently I have two friends with a man crush on Goss.

It's not a crush! I just think we'd get along izall!
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.06.2017, 10:41 AM   #21262
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2cFji4CmHE
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.07.2017, 02:00 AM   #21263
HenryHill51
little trouble girl

HenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's asses
Seen over the last few days or so.....

1. Baby Driver (2017)- Any pleasures to be gained from Wright's finger snap editing of image and musical notes is overwhelmingly drowned out by monotone characters, cheap diversions of the crime genre and a sadistically overwrought final third.

2. The Beguiled (2017)- Sofia Coppola's remake of Don Siegel's 1971 film is more controlled and certainly amplifies its cloistered sexual emotions to dizzying heights.

3. The Hunting Party (1971)- Pretty sadistic and violent western that seems to be shelling off the popularity of "The Wild Bunch". Still, Gene Hackman as an unrepentant rancher picking off the outlaws (including Oliver Reed) who kidnapped his wife doesn't pull any punches. Just see where on the body he shoots someone during the finale for proof.

4. Before I Fall (2017)- Adapted from a YA novel... a teen girl "Groundhog Day" that actually manages to mean something heavy in the end, which surprised and moved me.

5. Funeral Parade of Roses (1969)- Seems like AtSonicPark was a fan of this back in the day. Released in '69 and a busy torrent for many years, Toshio Matsumoto's experimental, avant garde queer effort did recently get a retrospective release. It's not quite the masterpiece I was anticipating, but it's completely unafraid of breaking taboos (both visually and narratively) and playing by its own overheated logic. Definitely worth a download.

6. Chaotic Ana (2007)- As a huge fan of Spanish filmmaker Julio Medem, this was the one film I could never track down until now. White it features many of his perennial themes (cosmic fate, star-crossed encounters and metaphysical beliefs), its also a hectic and ultimately pretentious mess.

7.At the Top of the Stairs (1982) French film about a woman returning to the hometown and seeking revenge on the people who turned in her collaborator husband during WW2. That description makes it sound waaay more interesting than it really is. Dry and stifling... as if Alain Resnais had directed it but without Resnais and his magical way of intersecting memory and place.

8. Nobody Speak: Trials of the Free Press (2017)- Netflix doc that begins with the HUlk Hogan sextape trial and then opens into a conspiratorial web of cases where billionaires and the Trump administration are willfully constricting and attacking the free press with insidious methods. Crackling from start to finish.

9. The Little Hours (2017)- Reviewed on Dallas Film Now. One of the best comedies of the year, with Aubrey Plaza, Alison Brie and Kate Mucicci as foul mouthed, sexually charged nuns.

10. Green Fish (1997) Filmmaker Lee Chang-dong's (Poetry, Secret Sunshine) mid 90's gangster film that pulses with energy and sadness as a rural guy becomes involved with a ravishing gangster's moll.

11. Three (2016)- Love Johnnie To and this one-stage set thriller about the police guarding (and awaiting) the inevitable break-out attempt of a wounded gangster in a hospital is riveting. Much praise has been given to the big shoot-out which is nice, but no match for the melee staged by To in "The Mission" (1999) or "Breaking News" (2004)

12. The Psychic (1977) Not one of Lucio Fulci's best.
HenryHill51 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.07.2017, 08:06 AM   #21264
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
thats a lotta movies!
Old 07.07.2017, 09:53 AM   #21265
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
"that's a lot of nuts!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PbE3k9LG9A
Old 07.07.2017, 11:32 AM   #21266
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHill51

8. Nobody Speak: Trials of the Free Press (2017)- Netflix doc that begins with the HUlk Hogan sextape trial and then opens into a conspiratorial web of cases where billionaires and the Trump administration are willfully constricting and attacking the free press with insidious methods. Crackling from start to finish.

I'll have to check this out. Thank you!
Old 07.10.2017, 01:55 PM   #21267
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Kubo and the Two Strings

beautifully animated. very cool story. The portrayal of Kubo's mom's depressive state was DEAD ON.
Old 07.12.2017, 10:24 AM   #21268
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
A GOOD OLD FASHIONED ORGY

neither good, nor funny, nor sexy-- just... old, and not in a good way

5 out of 5 disappointments
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.12.2017, 11:27 AM   #21269
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

that looks fucking HORRIBLE. Another movie catering to the white affluent idiots.
Old 07.12.2017, 11:31 AM   #21270
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
A GOOD OLD FASHIONED ORGY

neither good, nor funny, nor sexy-- just... old, and not in a good way

5 out of 5 disappointments

What the fuck is this shit? I've never even heard of this.

The American Pie generation has grown up and wants more American Pie. They never realized that American Pie was shit, bless their stupid hearts.
Old 07.12.2017, 12:12 PM   #21271
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
that looks fucking HORRIBLE. Another movie catering to the white affluent idiots.
literally.

daddy wants to sell the hamptons house (oh no, boo hoo, they're in their 30s)

they throw an orgy (among themselves) as the big sendoff

had the potential to be a funny summer movie, but was just fucking lame

laaaaaaaame

laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
What the fuck is this shit? I've never even heard of this.

The American Pie generation has grown up and wants more American Pie. They never realized that American Pie was shit, bless their stupid hearts.

izzit? i didn't connect it because ive never seen those movies actually. now i wanna, for anthropological research. i might vomit. i do like willow though. she's great. the rest who cares.

oh, did you ever watch buffy OR NO?
Old 07.12.2017, 12:38 PM   #21272
ilduclo
invito al cielo

wow. like the Hulk Hogan sex tape thing, something on my avoid list.
Old 07.12.2017, 03:23 PM   #21273
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
literally.

daddy wants to sell the hamptons house (oh no, boo hoo, they're in their 30s)

they throw an orgy (among themselves) as the big sendoff

had the potential to be a funny summer movie, but was just fucking lame

laaaaaaaame

laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame

izzit? i didn't connect it because ive never seen those movies actually. now i wanna, for anthropological research. i might vomit. i do like willow though. she's great. the rest who cares.

American Pie itself isn't too bad. The problem is all the copycats that followed.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.12.2017, 03:26 PM   #21274
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
American Pie itself isn't too bad. The problem is all the copycats that followed.
alright. i've queued it up. for shits and giggles. thanks!
Old 07.12.2017, 06:00 PM   #21275
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I love the first American Pie.
Old 07.13.2017, 03:48 AM   #21276
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Having HBO means watching movies that due to not very enthusiastic word of mouth I didn't bother seeing in the theatre, and they never made it to Netflix instant but are currently available to watch on HBO Now so might as well. So this week I've watched Batman V Superman, which had elements I found annoying, mostly Jesse Eisenberg was a shit Lex Luthor, they have Wonder Woman in it and she says nothing, and Doomsday's design was terrible.

Watched Suicide Squad today. Totally serviceable movie. Could've been should've been better and was just okay. I actually didn't mind Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn. I hate that she didn't wear the jester outfit more. Leto as The Joker was meh, but he really is in the shadow of two former damn good performances by way of Nicholson and Ledger. Suicide Squad was a movie you can enjoy while you're watching it, but really doesn't stick with you once its over.

Finally, I watched The Green Inferno. Before watching this movie I had yet to say I liked any Eli Roth movies. Not a fan of Cabin Fever or either of the two Hostels, and I had not heard anything to make me look forward to The Green Inferno, but since it was available to watch I gave it a shot. This was another case of, "that's it?" And I think I feel that way about Roth over all. I honestly don't feel he had anything to add to the "cannibal" film as a sub-genre. It neither challenged its audience, or shocked them. It was gory, but really the horror aspects of it were no more cringe inducing than anything he had already done in Hostel. The cannibalism aspects were not frightening or disturbing, just gory. One might say Roth had a point with the whole social media activism, but he didn't explore that enough to drive any point of view on it. That's my mediocre movie marathon.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2017, 05:54 AM   #21277
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDistortion

Finally, I watched The Green Inferno. Before watching this movie I had yet to say I liked any Eli Roth movies. Not a fan of Cabin Fever or either of the two Hostels, and I had not heard anything to make me look forward to The Green Inferno, but since it was available to watch I gave it a shot. This was another case of, "that's it?" And I think I feel that way about Roth over all. I honestly don't feel he had anything to add to the "cannibal" film as a sub-genre. It neither challenged its audience, or shocked them. It was gory, but really the horror aspects of it were no more cringe inducing than anything he had already done in Hostel. The cannibalism aspects were not frightening or disturbing, just gory. One might say Roth had a point with the whole social media activism, but he didn't explore that enough to drive any point of view on it. That's my mediocre movie marathon.

I agree, although I did find myself enjoying it. You're right though: nothing new and not enough done with the social activism stuff, which I saw it mostly as a satire of.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2017, 08:21 AM   #21278
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

In the mood for something fun and cute last night so we watched The Secret Life of Pets.

It was real fun and had NO SONGS!!!!!! No deep Moral dilemmas! No bullshit social activism! No "Hero's Journey!" Just a cool story about pets and what they get up to when owners are gone.
Old 07.13.2017, 08:49 AM   #21279
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
In the mood for something fun and cute last night so we watched The Secret Life of Pets.

It was real fun and had NO SONGS!!!!!! No deep Moral dilemmas! No bullshit social activism! No "Hero's Journey!" Just a cool story about pets and what they get up to when owners are gone.

that sounds refreshing!

im sorta rewatching MARS ATTACKS! right now, as a waker upper

still funny after all these years, and reminds me of the old pre-gentrification DC with its ruined buildings
Old 07.13.2017, 09:09 AM   #21280
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

I watched most of the first season, but that's it. The '90sness was dragging me down a bit. I've been meaning to try again, but haven't gotten around to it.
56496410141054106110621063 1064 106510661067107411141164 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth