Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page everybody wants to go to japan
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.16.2010, 05:23 AM   #1
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
best places to visit please? If you've been...

I'd like to visit kyoto, tokyo, ride the shinkansen, dr Nakamatsu's house (but i dont know where it is ) see some maiko, have lots and lots of awesome food, and hang out a lot in yoyogi park.. but I'm not really sure what else. I'm unsure whether sanrio puroland is too lame for me. I think I might actually explode from cute over dose in the good way, and I'd probably like to get my photo taken with mymelody. Cherry blossom season has just been and gone so that's a no go.. but I'm sure there is lots of summer fun to be had.

more suggestions?
Old 04.16.2010, 05:25 AM   #2
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses

Old 04.16.2010, 05:31 AM   #3
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
My plan is to start in Fukuoka (south), then move northwards through Hiroshima, Osaka & Nara (must see!), and Nagoya to Tokyo.

Where are we going to meet? Suggest a place.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2010, 05:32 AM   #4
phoenix
invito al cielo

Are you flying (around japan) or shikansen? I really really don't know if I will get there in time to meet you! But, if I do so, I choose Osaka or Tokyo though! Lots of awesome things to do and see..
Old 04.16.2010, 05:38 AM   #5
phoenix
invito al cielo

http://www.artpark.or.jp/english/

sapporo would be nice too...

Old 04.16.2010, 05:41 AM   #6
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
i'll travel by train within Japan.
I hope you'll show up. if you don't, never mind

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
Old 04.16.2010, 05:41 AM   #7
FreshChops
100%

FreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's asses
my father-in-law has been in Japan now about 3 years and will be for another two. He's in Yokosuka. Every time he comes and visits, all of his stuff smells all "Japan'y".. and my house smells Japany... and he always sends stuff and it smells Japany too for a little while.

He has a pretty good view of Mt. Fuji from his house. Not like your pic, but nice too.

I've never been to Japan.... I lived on Guam (close to Japan) for years and spent a lot of time with Japanese and really got to experience their culture. Great people, probably my favorite culture, especially of all Asians. I think Japan would be a great trip but the language barrier is really hard core. I used to be able to speak enough Japanese to get along because I had to for my work, and even started to learn to read it... but I've forgotten about 99% of it. Both me and my wife used to speak it and now don't remember shit. you have to always be using it.

I know what it smells like though

FreshChops is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2010, 05:45 AM   #8
phoenix
invito al cielo

I'm actually only semi scared of the language barrier. One of my friends speaks fluently, only probably wont be back in the country before I visit. My sister used to study it. I think I'd be able to do basics when speaking, just not read very well. cue-> digital translator.
Old 04.16.2010, 05:51 AM   #9
FreshChops
100%

FreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix
cue-> digital translator.

Exactly!

FreshChops is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2010, 06:18 AM   #10
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
Ahh, the memories.
Be sure to check:
http://www.japanimprov.com/index.html
and of course
http://www.tokyogigguide.com/

Record Stores:
http://www.psfmm.com/
http://www.warszawa.jp/
But there are also lots of cool small ones, you'll discover walking around.
Tower Records (i thing the biggest record store in Tokyo) could be interesting too, but i haven't been there.

Koenji is a fucking cool area: lots of bars and shops, second hand shops, etc.

Yoyogi Park and Harajuku for total weirdness. Lots of boutiques and and thousands of japanese hipsters.

I loved walking around the red light district at night.

Shinjuku, Shibuya and Akihabara, all amazing places.

In Kyoto Kiyomizudera is a must see. Beautiful Temples with view all over Kyoto.

Osaka is pretty cool too, especially around Namba area.

Nara is very nice, lots of deer and temples.

If you're going by train I'd check out the Japan Rail Pass, i think they are available for 1 and 2 weeks or so. You can't go with the superfast Shinkansen 3000 (or whatever it was called) but all the other JRail Shinkanses are included.

The fairy to Pusan (South Korea) is pretty cheap if you take the slow one (over night), so if you have enough time this could be interesting aswell.

Hey Slavo, hope you're fine.
Are you coming to Donaufestival this month?
A Thousand Threads is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2010, 06:19 AM   #11
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
if i was a serial killer i would give all my victims juggalo tattoos
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2010, 06:28 AM   #12
_slavo_
invito al cielo

Hello Christoph,
i fly to Seoul, travel all the way south to Pusan, than take the ferry (fairy, lol) to Pusan and will continue in Japan all the way north.

The Japan Rail pass option is very interesting. Where can you buy that?

Have you got any accomodation recommendations, like, where you stayed and so? I know Japan's expensive but I'm trying to save a buck or two though.

As for Donaufestival, sadly I won't be able to come this year. I'm on a very tight budget now.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
Old 04.16.2010, 06:46 AM   #13
hat and bread
children of satan

hat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asses
The west coast of the Izu Peninsula (about two hours southwest of Tokyo) is great for a taste of rural Japan. It's my favorite place to get away from the big cities. Great food, hot springs and no tourists (as long as you stay away from the east side of the peninsula). It's also easily accessible from Tokyo. Mt. Fuji is also nearby and worth a visit.

Things to do in Tokyo...
Yoyogi park on a Sunday, Inokashira park, Ueno Park, Sumo wrestling in Ryogoku, Fish market in Tsukiji, market streets between Ueno and Okachimamchi Stations (AKA ameyokocho).
One of my favorite things about Japan is jazz kissas, but only if you like jazz of course.

hat and bread is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2010, 06:50 AM   #14
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
Hello Christoph,
i fly to Seoul, travel all the way south to Pusan, than take the ferry (fairy, lol) to Pusan and will continue in Japan all the way north.

The Japan Rail pass option is very interesting. Where can you buy that?

Have you got any accomodation recommendations, like, where you stayed and so? I know Japan's expensive but I'm trying to save a buck or two though.

I bought the Rail Pass at a tourist office here in Vienna, there are some authorized ones that have them. You don't get them in Japan or if you're Japanese, they're exclusively for tourists.
Also, they are only available for different zones, so you'll have to look if there is something that suits you.
http://www.japanrailpass.net/

As for accommodations, I can't give you any recommendations, we used Hospitality Club and Couch Surfing and got by pretty well.

Is your ferry (yeah, my english is getting worse day by day) going from Pusan to Shimonoseki (or Shimonosaki, something like that)?
Old 04.16.2010, 06:56 AM   #15
_slavo_
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Thousand Threads
As for accommodations, I can't give you any recommendations, we used Hospitality Club and Couch Surfing and got by pretty well.

What's a hospitality club?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Thousand Threads
Is your ferry (yeah, my english is getting worse day by day) going from Pusan to Shimonoseki (or Shimonosaki, something like that)?

yes, pusan->shimonoseki, most likely. I'll see how it turns out but this seems like a likely option.
how much did you spend on your stay in Japan? Will 2,500 EUR be enough for a 22day stay ?

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
Old 04.16.2010, 07:00 AM   #16
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat and bread
The west coast of the Izu Peninsula (about two hours southwest of Tokyo) is great for a taste of rural Japan. It's my favorite place to get away from the big cities. Great food, hot springs and no tourists (as long as you stay away from the east side of the peninsula). It's also easily accessible from Tokyo. Mt. Fuji is also nearby and worth a visit.

Things to do in Tokyo...
Yoyogi park on a Sunday, Inokashira park, Ueno Park, Sumo wrestling in Ryogoku, Fish market in Tsukiji, market streets between Ueno and Okachimamchi Stations (AKA ameyokocho).
One of my favorite things about Japan is jazz kissas, but only if you like jazz of course.

Hello Mr. Bread, hope you're doing fine.
Have you built any new instruments?

btw, the cassette you gave me, was broke.
Old 04.16.2010, 07:30 AM   #17
hat and bread
children of satan

hat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asses
Uh oh. Was the cassette blank or was the tape itself broken? Maybe I've been selling people defective tapes this whole time without knowing it ...

Anyhow I'm doing great. How was the rest of your journey after Tokyo?

New instruments under a tree in Yoyogi Park: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0-ZATYyvRE
Old 04.16.2010, 07:38 AM   #18
hat and bread
children of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_

I wouldn't recommend doing it every night since they aren't very comfortable, but you can sleep in manga cafes from about 1,000 yen a night. Most have showers available and enough room to lie down. I often sleep in them when traveling alone.
Old 04.16.2010, 07:45 AM   #19
akprodr
the end of the ugly

akprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's asses
I think I'm turning Japanese. I really think so.
Old 04.16.2010, 08:12 AM   #20
_slavo_
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat and bread
I wouldn't recommend doing it every night since they aren't very comfortable, but you can sleep in manga cafes from about 1,000 yen a night. Most have showers available and enough room to lie down. I often sleep in them when traveling alone.

that's a brilliant piece of advice, hat and bread. I keep writing all this stuff down, this thread is actually starting to be very helpful. are these manga cafйs available in most bigger towns?

anyways, what location are you at? would you mind if i visited you? i might be travelling either alone or with one friend of mine (not sure yet)

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth