Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page New Madvillain coming!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.27.2009, 06:10 PM   #1
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
In 2004, When DOOM (then MF Doom) first teamed up with producer Madlib for a full-length album, the resulting spaced-out rap masterwork ended up as Pitchfork's #25 album of the decade. So it's a big deal that DOOM and Madlib have finally, finally reactivated their Madvillain project. At the moment, the two are hard at work on the mysterious follow-up to Madvillainy. The new Madvillain album has no release date right now, but it'll eventually come out on Stones Throw. According to Stones Throw's publicist, Madlib will once again produce every track, and TV on the Radio production mastermind Dave Sitek is tentatively involved with the project. Mos Def also contributes to the album.

Last week on East Village Radio's Fat Beats Live show, DJ J.Rocc played a few work-in-progress snippets of tracks that could end up on the album. And they sound every bit as woozily free-associative as Madvillain classics like "Accordion" or "America's Most Blunted". DOOM: "I'd like to start off by thanking our sponsor / For financing the parts for this Frankenstein monster." Click below to hear, via the Stones Throw website.

As previously reported, Madvillain will perform at the We the People Festival on November 21 in Los Angeles.

http://pitchfork.com/news/36936-new-...-in-the-works/

New snippets: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKs3h...layer_embedded
I'm enjoying what I'm hearing... can't wait!
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.27.2009, 06:16 PM   #2
jimbrim
expwy. to yr skull

jimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's asses
Sounds great, thanks.
jimbrim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.27.2009, 08:28 PM   #3
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
YES!!! Finally! So massively psyched for this. I'll buy anything that Doom puts his name on pretty much, Madlib is pretty much a stunning producer every time, and Madvillainy is hands down one of the best albums of the decade.

Also, Mos Def! Sitek! Can't wait. This is now absolutely top of my most anticipated list.
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.27.2009, 08:29 PM   #4
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
That 3rd track especially sounds sick, but I'm going to refrain from listening to it again, or checking more leaks. Want this to be as fresh as possible on release day.
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
Old 10.27.2009, 09:23 PM   #5
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
TV On The Radio's output has taken a nosedive and Sitek's production have been pretty muddy as of late, but I'm hoping he can save himself on this one.
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.27.2009, 09:35 PM   #6
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
Finally. Did anyone get the remix box? What'd you think of it?
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.28.2009, 04:12 AM   #7
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonikJesus

I didn't get the box, but I got the limited blank sleeve promo double lp they put out, which I think has the same track listing. I thought it was really good. Obviously not as amazing as the original, but the vibe was really interesting. Kind of a murkier, more laid back, jazzier take on the original album. I think the new running order made it flow a bit less well though, and obviously it was glaringly just not as good as would have been if it had new Doom on it, which made a bit of a frustrating listen sometimes. Also, very few of the remixes were actually an improvement on the original.

That said, it was still a great record, and some of the beats on it were absolutely top drawer. I thought the remixes of Great Day Today (3.14) and Fancy Clown (Running Around With Another) were both especial highlights, but then again those are two of my favourites from the original album, so maybe I was predisposed to dig them.
Old 10.28.2009, 07:23 AM   #8
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I just bought the album itself. The box was way too much. Anyway. The album is alright. I mean it's still Doom spitting over Lib's beats. But nowhere near as cohesive as the original. Not bad by any means. But...

Anyway, I hope this really happens. Much like GhostDoom, KMD's Mental Health, the Metal Face Academy album, the Essential Elements series, and so on and so on.

Though the fact that there are samples that have been leaked is at least somewhat promising.

PS: UNEXPECTED GUESTS supposedly came out this week. Though eMusic says it got bumpted to next week.
Old 10.28.2009, 07:24 PM   #9
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
Awesome. What other Doom albums do you guys recommend? Right now I only have Food and Madvillain. Both have become some of the few records that I can listen to all the way through in one go.
Old 10.28.2009, 07:46 PM   #10
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

Operation Doomsday is arguably the greatest hip-hop album ever. Just get it now. And as soon as you realise how much it was leaving a whole in your life when you didn't have it, get King Geedorah - Take Me To Your Leader, which is strong contender for the same crime, although it's a little less accessible I guess. and is more based on Doom's production than his rapping. Then, when you're fully hooked on Doom, get the first Viktor Vaughn album, which is amazing too, and probably the best showcase for his straight rapping chops. All 3 of those are hands down classics.
Old 10.28.2009, 10:37 PM   #11
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

will do.
Old 10.29.2009, 07:12 AM   #12
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Awesome. What other Doom albums do you guys recommend? Right now I only have Food and Madvillain. Both have become some of the few records that I can listen to all the way through in one go.

if you do a forum search, I've answered this question in great length (I mean basically discussing his entire discography) at least 2 other times in other threads.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth