Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page soYeard
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.14.2009, 12:41 AM   #1
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
FREE screening of soYEARN, an unreleased film by Chris Habib
downstairs

Soundtrack by F.O.O.T. (Thurston Moore/Don Fleming/Jim Dunbar.) Habib is a NYC polymath who is equally adept at auteuring freaky films, running Visitor Design, webmastering for Sonic Youth, or co-running Protest Records with Thurston Moore. soYEARN was constructed over a period of about 10 years from grainy-but-beautiful 8mm footage of him, Paris, New Orleans, cemeteries, kooky street scenes, skaters, Sonic Youth off-the-clock, and various other poetic and intimate weirdnesses. The soundtrack is by the FOOT, a Fluxus-oriented trio consisting of long-time collaborators Moore and Fleming and Jim Dunbar, a name which will be recognizable to longtime DC musicheads as that of the former WHFS DJ, (who did his thing there way before the station began its long and undignified slide.) This film has never before been screened publicly, at least not in a non-YouTube venue.
http://www.velvetloungedc.com/
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2009, 03:54 AM   #2
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
8mm grainy footage + Moore/Fleming/Dunbar soundtrack sounds amazing.

so are some bits of it on youtube?

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2009, 05:54 AM   #3
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usGAF...layer_embedded

soYEARN is super-8 project that i worked on accidentally. over the course of 10 or so years of shooting bands, artists, designers, friends and memories in far-flung places, i accumulated a ton of super-8. thurston moore, jim dunbar and don flemming's noise project, FOOT was doing a show at the Swiss Institute in NYC. they asked me to do multi-screen projections. one projector was showing reels of all of the footage i had cut out of other projects--scenes that were too dark, had skips in the gate, were too washed out, the iris was doing something weird, the focus was crappy--or, i just had better takes of the same material. it was everything i'd ordinarily never want anyone to see. i did a half-assed transfer of these reels--filmed off of my door and just dropped a live recording of the FOOT audio behind the images. i made no edits to the footage. i corrected none of the pervasive problems with the images.

this segment of soYEARN has some footage of sonic youth at a cool hotel we stayed at in portugal and has some out-take footage of thomas campbell skating in NYC while he was painting one of his pop-up murals at MAX FISH on the lower east side. so, here's part two of an hour's worth of murky, mundane memories
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.15.2009, 02:38 PM   #4
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
wow. cheers!

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2009, 12:08 AM   #5
Massenvernichtungswaffen
stalker

Massenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's asses
Chris Habib, a polymath?? Yea, he's right up there with Isaac Asimov, Pythagoras, Benjamin Franklin, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe and Noam Chomsky....
...holy crap.

is this guy serious? talk about over-inflating a balloon.

Jeg kysser katastrofer.

Massenvernichtungswaffen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.08.2011, 05:57 AM   #6
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usGAF...layer_embedded

soYEARN is super-8 project that i worked on accidentally. over the course of 10 or so years of shooting bands, artists, designers, friends and memories in far-flung places, i accumulated a ton of super-8. thurston moore, jim dunbar and don flemming's noise project, FOOT was doing a show at the Swiss Institute in NYC. they asked me to do multi-screen projections. one projector was showing reels of all of the footage i had cut out of other projects--scenes that were too dark, had skips in the gate, were too washed out, the iris was doing something weird, the focus was crappy--or, i just had better takes of the same material. it was everything i'd ordinarily never want anyone to see. i did a half-assed transfer of these reels--filmed off of my door and just dropped a live recording of the FOOT audio behind the images. i made no edits to the footage. i corrected none of the pervasive problems with the images.

this segment of soYEARN has some footage of sonic youth at a cool hotel we stayed at in portugal and has some out-take footage of thomas campbell skating in NYC while he was painting one of his pop-up murals at MAX FISH on the lower east side. so, here's part two of an hour's worth of murky, mundane memories

This video is private.
Sorry about that. :/

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth