Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Money
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.03.2006, 01:29 AM   #1
jheii
bad moon rising

jheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's asses
What do you guys think about investing yr money, making it "work for you." My dad has been encouraging me to research the whole world of investing, yadda yadda yadda, and its all so strange and unfamiliar. Any random comments about currency would entertain me.
Old 04.03.2006, 01:32 AM   #2
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
Sell all of your possesions, burn the profit, and go live in the woods.

I would do this, but I don't have the balls.

BTW, my parents and my sister live in Savannah.
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2006, 06:50 AM   #3
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jheii
What do you guys think about investing yr money, making it "work for you." My dad has been encouraging me to research the whole world of investing, yadda yadda yadda, and its all so strange and unfamiliar. Any random comments about currency would entertain me.

well there is this whole association of "money is dirty" which i find really harmful but money is nothing more than the language of... human energy?

so i'd say YEAH make money & increase it. make it work for you so you don't have to become one of those wal-mart greeters when you're 80.

or save enough cash so you can take a year off to write your novel.

etc.

the myth of the starving artist is a damaging one. who the fuck can write on an empty stomach? lies!!! & fuck tuberculosis.

anyway there's the whole ethical/moral issue of the use of money, and truly, we can't predict anything, given the law of unintended consequences, etc. etc., but if we decide to go ahead & live, well, then, you don't have to be a capitalist pig, an oil warmonger-- you can invest & be a different sort of capitalist.

see the calvert fund

see also working assets, though they don't invest your money, that's the idea... they used to be my long distance company. well they are a nonprofit. im confusing, am i not?

oh, more info on socially responsible investment here

anyway yeah man, don't work for the money, it's an ungrateful chore. have the money work for you, & then you can be free to work doing what you love.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2006, 06:57 AM   #4
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
i have heard that property is a good place to invest money.

i dont think that haaving money makes you evil. certainly having too much money and not doing anything good with it is. i think it depends on what you do with it that counts. but i dont think that there is anything wrong with being comfortable and having money to support yourself.
jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2006, 07:00 AM   #5
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
I don't like wiping my ass with leaves.
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2006, 09:02 AM   #6
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
I heard that a really good investing technique is to put $40.00 a week into a savings bond, and if you do that since you were born, by the time you're 30, you'll have over $144,000 assuming the interest rate is 1.5%. Then you can use the money to buy property or build an apartment, that way you can make continuous money the rest of your life from rent.
Inhuman is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2006, 09:09 AM   #7
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I have always had problems with the idea of making money with money. It seems that the richest people in the world do a lot of shifting funds around, and it has always been difficult for me to reconcile making money without actually producing a good or service. The people who make the most money this way are people that already had a lot of cash to begin with.
Then again, we live in the world and I say if you have the means, see what your options are. Providing needed funds to a business you believe in is a fine thing to do, especially when it comes back to you in your favor.

It's easy for me to talk though; I live hand to mouth and investing is not part of my world.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2006, 11:18 AM   #8
jheii
bad moon rising

jheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's asses
Savannah is a great place for yr parents and sister to live, says I.

So, I've been looking into the whole SRI thing and it seems like a good idea. If I could put three or four hundred dollars a month into investments that average out to a 10-12 percent return, then I'll have a down payment on a house by the time I get out of college. I'm checking out ETFs (I don't feel like explaining it, and I doubt many people on this board care), and I've found an index-fund that tracks clean energy companies. Seems like a good balance between ethics and profit.

As for the whole savings bond thing... If you (or yr parents) HAD 40 dollars a week since you were born, you could put it in a money market account, and make twice that money or more by the time yr thirty. But 2000 a year is a lot to give yr child when you've got bills, retirement, etc. That's assuming yr not putting any money aside for college, etc.

Yeah, yeah...

Thanks for yr time.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth