Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The Flaming Lips (Future of)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.02.2011, 07:26 PM   #41
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
I'm sorry newguy. you seem alright. I'll cease and desist. let's just blame glice from here on out. wow. what a cunt that guy is. that glice.

No prob, mate.
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.02.2011, 07:29 PM   #42
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
The lips don't like the lips.
I wish we could continue talking about manics fans.
duh-nin dun duh-nin / Forever-ever delayed

Not sure what this means...

But I can talk all day about annoying Manics fans. All freaking day.

Honestly I don't blame people for liking them... some of their earlier material was pretty good, and obviously Holy Bible has some value.

But has anyone had the misfortune of having heard Everything Must Go?

M. O. R.
Old 08.03.2011, 04:30 PM   #43
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
I like them a lot but can't really listen to them all the time. Anything pre-priest driven is garbage though. I have plenty of friends who pretty much worship this band. They drove all the way to Oklahoma to see the new years freak out (we live in southern Florida..)

Zaireeka is pretty much their pinnacle for me. Not their greatest batch of songs but the whole experience is awesome.

Wayne seems like he is the coolest dude.
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.03.2011, 08:02 PM   #44
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDom
I like them a lot but can't really listen to them all the time. Anything pre-priest driven is garbage though. I have plenty of friends who pretty much worship this band. They drove all the way to Oklahoma to see the new years freak out (we live in southern Florida..)

Zaireeka is pretty much their pinnacle for me. Not their greatest batch of songs but the whole experience is awesome.

Wayne seems like he is the coolest dude.

Zaireeka is great, and I love it *for* the individual songs.

"A Machine in India" is one of my favorite songs ever.

Never listened to it on four players the proper way, though. Too afraid of seizures.
Old 08.03.2011, 10:22 PM   #45
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
haha the frequency part is a bit hard to handle I've never seen anybody go crazy during it. but really the 4 stereos totally makes the album. if you love those songs that much you should definitely listen to them the way they were intended.
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.03.2011, 10:51 PM   #46
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDom
haha the frequency part is a bit hard to handle I've never seen anybody go crazy during it. but really the 4 stereos totally makes the album. if you love those songs that much you should definitely listen to them the way they were intended.

Actually, I've just never had four stereos at a time, or enough friends who were interested in lending theirs to the cause.

Anyone else think Embryonic has a lot in common with Zaireeka?

Anyway... these are my faves:
1. The Day They Shot a Hole in the Jesus Egg (In a Priest Driven Ambulence + bonus tracks + "Mushroom Tapes" on second disc)
2. Soft Bulletin
3. Zaireeka
4. Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
5. Transmissions from the Satellite Heart

I have love for every release except for Oh My Gawd..., which is just too fucking depressing for life.

Secondary faves include:
-Clouds Taste Metallic
-@ War With the Mystics
-Embryonic
-Hear It Is
-Telepathic Surgery

I even rock their s/t debut once in a while. In fact, I played it on repeat for an entire summer when I first heard it. I couldn't believe it was the same band that had made me jizz honey with the spaced out Clouds... or the acid-pop Yoshimi.

Only band I can think of who has released as much good shit as SY (almost) in roughly the same amount of time. Everyone else has puttered out... when Dino turned into the poster-boys for Ethan Hawke and Wynona Ryder-era gen-X, the Lips were still blowing minds. When Husker Du was giving in and recording bubblegum-punk for WB, the Lips were still blowing minds. When Guided by Voices released so much material that their shitty stuff started to outweigh their good stuff, the Lips were still blowing minds.

I love them, I tell you.

EDIT: Fuck, I forgot about Hit to Death in the Future Head. Oh well. That's up there too. Not a bad song on it.... unless you count the last track as a "song".... blegch.
Old 08.04.2011, 12:49 PM   #47
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I'm sorry being a dick about the lips in your thread. its really for the best though. I'd sound like an even bigger dick if I talked about the good stuff, so I stick with the tried and true.

there are no heroes left in this world.

floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.04.2011, 12:50 PM   #48
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Goth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.04.2011, 12:56 PM   #49
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
indeed.

as well as having a real (dead) bat on my wall, my Bauhaus poster features actual human blood smears.

both hang in my living room.

black is beautiful.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.22.2011, 06:07 PM   #50
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
Have anyone listened through their new 6-hour song yet?
Pelle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.23.2011, 12:17 PM   #51
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelle
Have anyone listened through their new 6-hour song yet?

No, but I really like the Lightening Bolt collaboration.
Old 09.23.2011, 06:57 PM   #52
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Is the six hour song out there somewhere? I just heard about it. Didn't think it was done.

I put together all their 2010/11 shit onto one playlist for my iPhone, and it plays pretty well. Still, I want a new album. They could release thirteen great songs and for some reason it would still not satisfy me. I want a new Lips album, to put next to my old Lips albums; to compare and contrast with, to muse over, to nod off and walk to.

I'm an album guy.
Old 09.23.2011, 07:43 PM   #53
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
Is the six hour song out there somewhere? I just heard about it. Didn't think it was done.

I put together all their 2010/11 shit onto one playlist for my iPhone, and it plays pretty well. Still, I want a new album. They could release thirteen great songs and for some reason it would still not satisfy me. I want a new Lips album, to put next to my old Lips albums; to compare and contrast with, to muse over, to nod off and walk to.

I'm an album guy.

yr welcome

http://pitchfork.com/news/44071-list...on-the-ground/
Old 09.24.2011, 11:32 AM   #54
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
U can find the 6-hour track on soundcloud. (just google)

I've listened to the first 2 hours.. 4 more to go! :P
Pelle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.24.2011, 01:05 PM   #55
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelle
U can find the 6-hour track on soundcloud. (just google)

or you can just click on the link in the post above yours.
Old 09.24.2011, 05:34 PM   #56
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

So, they just took a bunch of acid and jammed?

The likelihood of this being made without acid seems extraordinarily low.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth