Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Non-fiction book that's had the biggest impact on you
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.17.2009, 05:09 PM   #1
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
There's been a few threads about this kind of thing in terms of novels but none, as far as I know, on non-fiction. I'm just curious.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.17.2009, 05:14 PM   #2
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Books on UFOs mostly.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.17.2009, 05:18 PM   #3
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
Easy. Woman at Point Zero by Nawal El Saadawi.

It's a true story written after an Egyptian psychologist (Saadawi) visited a prison to examine the mental health of a former prostitute who is about to be put to death for the murder of her former pimp. Despite being granted parole, she chooses to be put to death by the state as a final act of resistance. Just before her execution she breaks her silence and tells Saadawi her life story in its entirety.

Some real powerful shit. I would recommended this book to anybody interesting. It's a quick read and incredibly life changing.

notyourfiend is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.17.2009, 05:29 PM   #4
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
this is a good question, and it's going to take me ages to think of the answer.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.17.2009, 05:31 PM   #5
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
the beauty myth by naomi wolf.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.17.2009, 05:32 PM   #6
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

chairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard sucka
Good question. Off the top of my head I'd say:
Memories, Dreams, and Reflections-Jung
Sister Outsider-Lorde
Whatever stuff introduced me to Marxist theory.
Life Inc-Rushkoff

I can't wait for woman at point zero to be back in print again. I've been waiting for that one.
Old 11.17.2009, 05:33 PM   #7
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I've read a lot of non-fiction that has influenced me but it's hard to say which has most. Speaking independently of what I think of it now, I believe Immanuel Kant's Critique of Pure Reason had the most impact.

It's also one of the most influential works in the history of philosophy, though, so it's not all that novel.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.17.2009, 05:36 PM   #8
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

Location: the land where large fuzzy dice still hang proudly like testicles from rear-view mirrors
terriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's asses
tropic of capricorn
terriblecanyons is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.17.2009, 05:38 PM   #9
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Everything written by Marx, Engels, Lenin and Cervetto literally shaped the way I think. Not in a dogmatic way, and not necessarily in terms of politics.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.17.2009, 06:15 PM   #10
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Cervetto

I was reading about him recently and ended up looking for some of his articles but none seem to have been translated. Italian Marxism is definitely one the most interesting, I think. They need to make more of it available.
Old 11.17.2009, 06:19 PM   #11
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
This is a great thread idea. I read mostly non-fiction work

I would say personally, the ones that most affected me is

What Do You Care What Other People Think? - Richard P Feynman

Fates Worse Than Death - Kurt Vonnegut

and

Asimov's Biographical Encyclopedia of Science & Technology - Isaac Asimov

Old 11.17.2009, 06:25 PM   #12
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I was reading about him recently and ended up looking for some of his articles but none seem to have been translated. Italian Marxism is definitely one the most interesting, I think. They need to make more of it available.
I'll check if the Marxist Centre of Studies in Cambridge have translated any of his texts in English. I imagine he's been translated by them since they have the monopoly of all Marxist translations in several languages.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.17.2009, 06:28 PM   #13
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by chairman of the bored
Sister Outsider-Lorde

This is one of the most specular pieces of work I have ever read. I cannot even begin to describe how transformational it has been in my life. So many of my philosophies on life have been borrowed from this.

Re-reading Lorde's ideas about righteous anger for a class last semester was what made me decide to publish a zine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairman of the bored
I can't wait for woman at point zero to be back in print again. I've been waiting for that one.

You can still get it here - http://www.amazon.com/Woman-at-Point...8500485&sr=8-1

Oh, and another favorite read would have to be R.D. Laing's Politics of Experience. Anybody familiar with Laing's work?

Old 11.17.2009, 06:41 PM   #14
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
I'll check if the Marxist Centre of Studies in Cambridge have translated any of his texts in English. I imagine he's been translated by them since they have the monopoly of all Marxist translations in several languages.

Thanks. I just checked and it does seem as though a few of his articles have been translated into English. It doesn't say by who though. The only person widely translated it seems is Antonio Negri, who's a different thing entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notyourfiend
Oh, and another favorite read would have to be R.D. Laing's Politics of Experience. Anybody familiar with Laing's work?

Yeah, I'm really interested in Laing, and the whole Anti-Psychiatry movement in general. Have you read The Divided Self? Another really interesting one.
Old 11.17.2009, 06:50 PM   #15
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

Demonrail - I actually initially majored in psychology because my goal was to somehow work in the anti-psychiatry field. I wanted to do human rights law or community organizing. The college I went to had a strong humanistic psychology program and even offered a Laing seminar. I am somewhat involved with the Icarus Project - some stuff I did is being sold this weekend at their fundraiser in NYC. Are you familiar with the Icarus Project? They are less political and more discussion/outreach based.

I've never read The Divided Self specifically but my gf/many of my other friends have. My gf did some very intensive independent work on his material. I never got as involved because the professor who was an expert on his work started hating me after she found out that I was reading Foucualt. She was hyper-critical about anything remotely post-modern and distributed by Foucault's proposal of our notions of the soul being something that is construction. I'm pretty sure that she read his work as claiming that there is no such thing as a soul which is inaccurate. Laing apparently tried to approach Foucault because he felt their work was similar (analysises of madness and such) but Foucault claimed that they were nothing alike.

Anywho, if I go back to grad school for something academic, I want to study the intersections between science, normalization, micropolitics and gender. How pretentious is that?

Old 11.17.2009, 07:03 PM   #16
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by notyourfiend
Demonrail - I actually initially majored in psychology because my goal was to somehow work in the anti-psychiatry field. I wanted to do human rights law or community organizing. The college I went to had a strong humanistic psychology program and even offered a Laing seminar. I am somewhat involved with the Icarus Project - some stuff I did is being sold this weekend at their fundraiser in NYC. Are you familiar with the Icarus Project? They are less political and more discussion/outreach based.

I've never read The Divided Self specifically but my gf/many of my other friends have. My gf did some very intensive independent work on his material. I never got as involved because the professor who was an expert on his work started hating me after she found out that I was reading Foucualt. She was hyper-critical about anything remotely post-modern and distributed by Foucault's proposal of our notions of the soul being something that is construction. I'm pretty sure that she read his work as claiming that there is no such thing as a soul which is inaccurate. Laing apparently tried to approach Foucault because he felt their work was similar (analysises of madness and such) but Foucault claimed that they were nothing alike.

Anywho, if I go back to grad school for something academic, I want to study the intersections between science, normalization, micropolitics and gender. How pretentious is that?

I just looked up the Icarus Project and it does seem really interesting.

I think there were definitely similarities between Foucault's and Laing's positions. In many ways I think they were French and British equivalents of one another - at least with regards issues of mental illness. Guattari is the other really fascinating one, I think. He tends to get a bit sidelined by some people, who seem to see him as little more than Robin to Deleuze's Batman, but the stuff he wrote by himself on the anti-psychiatry movement is quite brilliant.
Old 11.17.2009, 07:20 PM   #17
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
reading nietzsche was the best mental laxative ever-- beyond good and evil in particular. he's got my eternal gratitude (no, that's not some obscure pun).
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.17.2009, 07:23 PM   #18
Pax Americana
expwy. to yr skull

Pax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's asses

Beautiful.

Oh wait, you said NON-fiction?
Pax Americana is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.17.2009, 07:33 PM   #19
demonrail666
invito al cielo

still beautiful, nonetheless
Old 11.17.2009, 07:43 PM   #20
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i hate her moron llama face

!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth