Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Syd Barrett RIP
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.11.2006, 03:57 PM   #41
IntoTheGroovey
bad moon rising

IntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to all
Wow this really sucks. I just started getting into his solo work a few months ago, and love Piper at the Gates of Dawn. RIP.
Old 07.11.2006, 04:10 PM   #42
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
you''ll be missed you crazy drug-addled bastard

shine on, dude...
cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2006, 04:17 PM   #43
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here
And I'm most obliged to you for making it clear that I'm not here
And I never knew the moon could be so big
And I never knew the moon could be so blue
And I'm grateful that you threw away my old shoes
And brought me here instead dressed in red
And I'm wondering who could be writing this song
Old 07.11.2006, 04:23 PM   #44
Florya
expwy. to yr skull

Florya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks Syd.
Rest in Peace.

listening mirror @ Soundcloud http://soundcloud.com/listening-mirror

Florya is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2006, 04:47 PM   #45
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
He made some of the best music with Pink Floyd and solo.

Did he OD or something? He wasn't that old. I know he was a nutter, but still.

Shine on, you crazy diamond.
Old 07.11.2006, 04:48 PM   #46
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

fuck, and whats really fuked up is ythat i was trippin balls earlier listening to Piper and mad cap laughs
when i started peaking...
ugh nevemrind.
its too sad to think about it.
and i cant beleiv ei had to find out this way
this is fucked up
Old 07.11.2006, 04:49 PM   #47
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
He made some of the best music with Pink Floyd and solo.

Did he OD or something? He wasn't that old. I know he was a nutter, but still.

Shine on, you crazy diamond.

they think it was cancer
Old 07.11.2006, 04:52 PM   #48
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptowonderdruginvogue
they think it was cancer

'
Old 07.11.2006, 04:53 PM   #49
Daddylikes
the end of the ugly

Daddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's asses
What I read was it was complications due to Diabetes.
Daddylikes is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2006, 05:13 PM   #50
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddylikesitintheass
What I read was it was complications due to Diabetes.

http://www.nme.com/news/pink-floyd/23570

"other reports suggest the cause of death was cancer"
Old 07.11.2006, 05:29 PM   #51
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
I was just came on to start a thread about this, i should have known you guys would have got there first. This is indeed a sad day. I've always thought he was an amazingly talented guy, but over the last few months i've REALLY gotten into his work. The work he could have done in the years he lived, its so sad that we never got to see just how good this guy could have been. But perhaps the saddest thing is that like kurt (and everyone before him) people are gonna take a beautiful human being and turn him into deity, just another face on a rock poster! RIP Syd!
Old 07.11.2006, 05:58 PM   #52
Neongod
the destroyed room

Neongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant future
One of my favorite Syd stories from 1967:
'Another eager host [for the band] in Los Angeles was Alice Cooper, who invited Syd and the others to dinner with his own band - thus enabling rock's most ersatz psycho to come face to face with a more authentic speciman. Cooper guitarist Glen Buxton came away convinced that "Syd was definitely from Mars." Though Barrett said hardly a word all evening, Buxton did not find him altogether uncommunitave. "All of a sudden I'd pick up the sugar and pass it to him," he recalled, "and he'd shake his head like 'Yeah, thanks...' It's like telepathy, it really was. It was very weird. You would find yourself right in the middle of doing something, as you were passing the sugar or whatever, and you'd think, 'Well damn! I didn't hear anybody say anything.' That was the first time in my life I'd ever met anybody that could actually do that freely. And this guy did it all the time."'

== A Saucerful of Secrets - The Pink Floyd Odyssey ==

A great read...the first third of the book is all about Syd and the early years. In light of this tragedy, why not pick it up? Or read it at a bookstore.

RIP, Syd.
Old 07.11.2006, 07:57 PM   #53
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
ok here's the live show from olympia in 1970

It's not the best recorded audio though, at times the instruments are much higher in the mix than the vocals.

1.Terrapin
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=B7AB958003C15B1F

2.Gigolo Aunt
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=3629B2B85232D8B4

3.Effervescing Elephant
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=61B0BA396D749633

4.Octopus
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=573654CD75CBDCB3
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2006, 08:03 PM   #54
Anarchos
empty page

Anarchos ain't too shabby
I never got to hear his solo stuff, but Piper was pure genius. He will be missed.
Old 07.11.2006, 09:29 PM   #55
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
I can't believe how many talented people the world has lost in the past year or so...Hunter S. Thompson, Mitch Hedberg and now Syd Barrett. It's all too much, man.

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2006, 10:59 PM   #56
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
I've never been a big fan of Pink Floyd. I really like certain songs, but never really educated myself when it comes to them. But they've definitely done good things. I saw one of their songs on a music channel today actually and really dig that song, even said so when it came on.

Indeed RIP.
Old 07.11.2006, 11:20 PM   #57
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

m^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard sucka
he had a profound affect on music, psychedelic, folk, space rock, and even experimental noise, and Im not just saying that b/c hes dead, i have been thinking about it for a very long time. And Pink Floyd can attribute all their later success to him considering everything they wrote afterwords had to do with syd....
m^a(t)h is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.12.2006, 01:15 AM   #58
wax
the destroyed room

wax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asses
they have syd to thank as syd made the name with his two amazing pop songs- emily and arnold.
its totaly wrong to see pink floyd with syd as the same band after he left, its the same kinda thing as the velvets after cale left.
and from what i know, syd was not a drug addict. he took alot of acid in the 60s which fkd him up, but since his solo albums he seemed to want no part in the music industry, probably due to being fucked over by his band mates. i admire him for getting out and living his life quietly rather than doing what everyone else does and carrying on till death or till he severely shamed himself. (think the rest of pink floyd-beatles etc)
i read everything and watched everything i could about syd, but it all focuses on what a poor tortured soul he was, and i dont think its right or true. i think he made a clever desicion and stuck to it. and i think the books and documentarys should be focused much more on the amazing stuff he acheived and not about what a sad story he was.
cuz he wasnt.
he left his mark then lived the rest of his life with a quiet dignity. which is more than anyone can say for his x band "mates" the rotten scumbags.
wax is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.12.2006, 02:13 AM   #59
neben
empty page

neben has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
syd rip
one music genius less in the world
neben is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.12.2006, 02:17 AM   #60
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Arnold Layne had a strange hobby......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoPnu...arnold%20layne

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth