Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Anyone else think that The Eternal sounds a little dull (sonically)?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.18.2009, 06:31 PM   #21
mysonichaircut
children of satan

mysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's asses
but you guys might be right: though i dont like the album, i love the version of wwk listed below - because the guitars are more seperated:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1yUib-0vNg
mysonichaircut is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2009, 11:23 PM   #22
Concrete Abutments
bad moon rising

Concrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysonichaircut
but you guys might be right: though i dont like the album, i love the version of wwk listed below - because the guitars are more seperated:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1yUib-0vNg

Yes yes this video is a good example of the difference. There's more breathing room in this version on the video. Not perfect but you can see the difference.

Or, just listen to Sonic Nurse and you'll understand.
Concrete Abutments is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2009, 01:58 AM   #23
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
i was actually thinking about this a lot when i was listening to the eternal. i agree that it lacks that 'punch' to it. it's more lows and deep bass and it just doesn't sound good. i'm listening to the cd version.

i absolutely love the way Washing Machine sounds. it's so crisp and in your face. if the Eternal was recorded like that, it'd be 102% better
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2009, 03:33 AM   #24
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
here's what the steve hoffman audiophile folks had to say about the album in general (though most of the early pages are pre-release exposition)

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...d.php?t=174547

i hear the clipping on 'what we know' too. perplexes me. still a killer tune though.
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2009, 04:30 AM   #25
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

hevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
here's what the steve hoffman audiophile folks had to say about the album in general (though most of the early pages are pre-release exposition)

i hear the clipping on 'what we know' too. perplexes me. still a killer tune though.

Yeah.. the clipping is pretty hideous. They pushed it just a little too hard in mastering (over compressed). It makes the album sound dynamically "flat". It seems that the vinyl version is not much better on that front.

I still think the songs are some of the best SY have written since washing machine though.
hevusa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2009, 05:59 AM   #26
mysonichaircut
children of satan

mysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence

i dont think the clipping was an accident. as i said, the record from pitchfork.tv sounds better to me, but i still think, sy wanted the eternal to sound the way it sounds on the album. i agree pretty much with that guy from stevehoffman.tv (with exception of what he says about the other albums):

"To think this is not what the band wants, however, I think is ridiculous. First, this is their fourth straight new release that has this same sonic signature (Murray Street, Sonic Nurse, and Rather Ripped share it). Second, their "deluxe editions" also share a very compressed sound, and T mentioned how great it sounded in the liner notes to one, and one said "super remastered" on the cover. Third, the mastering was in town and I'd guess they attended the session. Fourth, the vinyl sounds pretty much the same as the CD, making it seem even less like an accident. Fifth, the label is not known for compression, and clearly is going out of their way to give the band what it wants in other respects."
Old 09.19.2009, 06:27 AM   #27
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

hevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysonichaircut
i dont think the clipping was an accident.

The clipping was not an accident , all modern releases have this in common (google loudness war). What was an accident was something sounding fucked up from the compression/limiting that was applied to create said clipping.
Old 09.19.2009, 06:40 AM   #28
mysonichaircut
children of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hevusa
The clipping was not an accident , all modern releases have this in common (google loudness war). What was an accident was something sounding fucked up from the compression/limiting that was applied to create said clipping.

you might be right. interesting discussion - for many of you guys where totally impressed by the "production" of the eternal, and evan where talking about nurse and murray sounding too flat and all - and know people think the other way.

edit: to me, the production of murray, nurse and nycgf is perfect. but this does have to do with the music itself: you can hear more what i could call singing notes, more the quality of the tone in those albums, and the production fits to that. but how could you produce the eternal, if there are no such qualities in the writing, if you have only a chord following the bass up and down? you will do what they did, or, make it sound more raw like pitschfork.tv did. a production-style like murray or nurse is not possible, since you dont have all this interesting melodie-fractures, and none of the semi-acoustic-blues-guitar-sound in it. doesnt mean its worse, its something different - but listen to farm from dinosaur jr. thats good sound for that kind of music.

maybe they evan compressed the whole album after recording it. and this leads to another problem: the single songs from the album could all easily have introduced a single record, but they dont fit together on one record.
Old 09.19.2009, 08:57 AM   #29
godsfavoritedog
bad moon rising

godsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's asses
I got The Eternal through the BEGN program and even the mp3's on the BEGN site sound better. I love the songs and was all excited to get the actual cd thinking it would be amazing and now I hardly even listen to it. It sounds horrible on my computer, on my home system and in my car. It's a huge disappointment.

"don't worry about that," says the angel,
"soon she'll be stinking in bed with a brainless dick."
godsfavoritedog is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2009, 04:26 PM   #30
exploding plastic candle
children of satan

exploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by sculley
The mix sounds like it is lacking in treble. Anyone else noticing this? Compare it to other recordings and you may see what I mean.

gtfo no way is treblefest 09
Let's bathe in a cup of dreams and share in a saucy toast
exploding plastic candle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2009, 04:46 PM   #31
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
I felt that way about Rather Ripped, but I don't see how someone could think that about The Eternal.

I feel the complete opposite.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2009, 04:58 PM   #32
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
limiting is not clipping, limiting is strong compression, clipping sounds like overload.

on what we know, there is a gated reverb on steves snare that could be mistaken for clipping.

that is all.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2009, 05:11 PM   #33
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
limiting is not clipping, limiting is strong compression, clipping sounds like overload.

on what we know, there is a gated reverb on steves snare that could be mistaken for clipping.

that is all.

Limiting is strong compression (ratio of 10:1 or more) that is used to clip wave forms for added volume during mastering. Push it too hard and it makes bad things happen. That could be what happened in the cause of What We Know... and it might reflect why people are finding this album sonically displeasing (flat/dull).

Just a theory.
Old 09.19.2009, 05:24 PM   #34
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevusa
Limiting is strong compression (ratio of 10:1 or more) that is used to clip wave forms for added volume during mastering. Push it too hard and it makes bad things happen. That could be what happened in the cause of What We Know... and it might reflect why people are finding this album sonically displeasing (flat/dull).

Just a theory.

it is used to limit waveforms for added volume not clip them, clipping is when the input or output channels overload. limiting limits for added volume but so the waveforms do not clip or overload i/o.
Old 09.20.2009, 05:29 PM   #35
Infinite Spark
little trouble girl

Infinite Spark kicks all y'all's assesInfinite Spark kicks all y'all's assesInfinite Spark kicks all y'all's assesInfinite Spark kicks all y'all's assesInfinite Spark kicks all y'all's assesInfinite Spark kicks all y'all's assesInfinite Spark kicks all y'all's assesInfinite Spark kicks all y'all's assesInfinite Spark kicks all y'all's assesInfinite Spark kicks all y'all's assesInfinite Spark kicks all y'all's asses
It's their best album in a while, and no problems with the sound on any half-decent system, on the illegally downloaded mp3's or the legally-bought cd. the mp3's burned onto a cdr sounded a bit dull played on a cheap dvd player thru an old tv's speakers, but that's not the fault of the music really is it...
Infinite Spark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.20.2009, 05:33 PM   #36
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Spark
the mp3's burned onto a cdr sounded a bit dull played on a cheap dvd player thru an old tv's speakers
hahahahahaha that's pushing yr luck hahahahahaha
Old 09.20.2009, 05:58 PM   #37
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Sounds great. They haven't had a badly-produced album since "Sister".

Guess you all have dog's ears.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.21.2009, 04:57 AM   #38
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Sounds great. They haven't had a badly-produced album since "Sister".

Guess you all have dog's ears.
everyone would hear the highs if they had dogs ears.....
Old 09.21.2009, 07:32 AM   #39
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
i layered peanut butter and 3 in one oil on my eternal vinyl....i jammed it into the cd player and it sounded alright......

seriously.... its fine....i dont see/hear a problem with it......but im no albini ear guy.
Old 09.21.2009, 07:45 AM   #40
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
everyone would hear the highs if they had dogs ears.....

But there are no highs, apparently!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth