Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Your Favorite Sonic Youth Live Bootlegs ?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.25.2012, 12:36 PM   #61
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakesalee
Sorry, I should have been more clear. And I'm guessing it wasn't newly purchased gear. I think it was borrowed gear from other bands at the show, because the show happened during the same afternoon they found their shit to be stolen. I could be wrong, but I thought Steve was playing Sleater Kinney's drums. I took about 2 rolls of film from their set alone, so I'll have to check some time. Thurston was playing a white on black Fender Stratocaster. Totally run-of-the-mill compared to what we're used to equipment wise. But you'd never had known that if you were just listening. Sunday, Teenage Riot, Mote, Anagrama, Shadow of a Doubt - I had the chills the entire time.

I was at that show, didn't have camera, though my memory still records some facts. They borrowed quite a few guitars, cuz their setlist still called for several different tunings for each guitarist. I remember watching Scarnella (Nels Cline and Carla Bozulich, one of the best sets of the day) in a little gazebo/stage and immediately after they finished Nels hurriedly handing his Jazzmaster over to a go-between for SY as they were about to play on a different stage. SY played an excellent set (ATL, SYR, & 80's material I think), made some announcement about the stolen gear and gratitude to all the people they borrowed from. Someone in the crowd yelled to them that they should smash the borrowed guitars, which Thurston responded to in some funny way, I forget his exact words. Some of the guitars did get some rough treatment durring a few noise jams, dragging and rubbing and whatnot, but nothing too crazy. I wondered what their owners thought in those moments. It had been a very hot day, and I think the sun set as they played. It was a crazy difficult day for them, but they came through with an excellent set and totally truimphed. Some people thought they were going to call it quits as a band, but I think they only canceled one or maybe a few shows and finished the rest of the tour. Then we got NYCG&F and another decade+ of SY music.

I should download that show and see how is squares with my memory.
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth