Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page What's wrong with The Eternal ???
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.31.2011, 09:13 PM   #1
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
it pains me to ask this question, but...

...mmm...

Why is The Eternal kind of... um... not so good?

Ok, so all the songs are great individually. But as an album it just doesn't work for me. I was just wondering if it was "just me", or if others have had a hard time... uh... adjusting to it...? It just doesn't feel complete to me in some way. I felt this way about Ripped for a time, but it faded the more I listened to the record. Even Nurse had some moments that it took me a while to warm to, but I love those records now. It's been 2 years and the Eternal still hasn't grown on me. Although I love the songs, something about the arrangement or length (or something) just doesn't click with me. Anyone else?
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.31.2011, 11:48 PM   #2
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
It's a great album.
I'm often surprised by how well done the songs are but I think I know what you mean.
To me, I think it's the post production work. I feel the parts that are supposed
to be loud and grab your attention, just don't for some reason.

I can't put my finger on it.
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2011, 12:20 AM   #3
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
I love Eternal as much as the other albums! And I was very excited about it already the first time I heard it! Only thing that isnīt as good as in other albums are the sounds. Especially drums sound very typically pro-tools drums sounds. But it is ok to me, because guitars sound as great as usually.

I think itīs just that every album just canīt hit you even it is your favourite band and there are some personal reasons that is sometimes hard to understand. I was at first very disappointed at Experimental Jet Set and NYC ghosts, after few years from their release I started to like them also a lot. But still if I had to say which is the worst SY-record, I would say it is Experimental.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2011, 01:24 AM   #4
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
''Ok, so all the songs are great individually. But as an album it just doesn't work for me.''
I agree with this. I've tried finding different uses for it: doormat, pillow and toaster all seemed to work fine. It didn't work when I tried using it as a listenable album.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2011, 02:36 AM   #5
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
''Ok, so all the songs are great individually. But as an album it just doesn't work for me.''
I agree with this. I've tried finding different uses for it: doormat, pillow and toaster all seemed to work fine. It didn't work when I tried using it as a listenable album.
Why donīt you put your hate to somewhere else as SY? I mean you havenīt got anything positive to say about SY or SY-members solos since rather ripped. I think everybody knows in SYG you hate after rather ripped SY. If you some reason canīt stay away from SYG, why donīt you be just in the Non-sonics side? I mean this is Sonic Youth FAN-forum, not some common music forum where everybody should critisize the music commonly. I donīt mean anybody canīt say any negative things about SY, but you have say your comments so many times and there is nothing new.

And if youīre going to reply "Iīm just answering the thread", you could have just answered "I donīt like any SY-products after RR" (well I think that would have been also unneccessary, because everybody knows it here). I love Red Hot Chili Peppers, but I donīt like at all Stadium Arcadium. I donīt still have any need to go RHCP-fan sites to repeat all the time how lousy band RHCP nowdays are.
Old 08.01.2011, 05:56 AM   #6
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
It is a great album with lots of great songs, but I could agree that it misses that "something"(I think it has to do with the production), but I don't know..it's on my top 10 SY, defenitly.
Pelle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2011, 06:19 AM   #7
muttlegs
empty page

muttlegs kicks all y'all's assesmuttlegs kicks all y'all's assesmuttlegs kicks all y'all's assesmuttlegs kicks all y'all's assesmuttlegs kicks all y'all's assesmuttlegs kicks all y'all's assesmuttlegs kicks all y'all's assesmuttlegs kicks all y'all's assesmuttlegs kicks all y'all's assesmuttlegs kicks all y'all's assesmuttlegs kicks all y'all's asses
To me it plays like a sub par, overproduced greatest hits, save the last track.
It misses the magic ingredient.
However, what do I know as EJSTANS is one of my favourites. Start the hate now.
That is due to the fact that that is the first album I bought and my entry point into the sonic youth universe.
muttlegs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2011, 06:22 AM   #8
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by muttlegs
However, what do I know as EJSTANS is one of my favourites. Start the hate now.
That is due to the fact that that is the first album I bought and my entry point into the sonic youth universe.

I agree, EJSTANS is a fav of mine aswell..a lot of people hate it, I don't know why..it's a great album, one of the albums that got me into SY aswell, that one and Washing Machine.
Pelle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2011, 09:09 AM   #9
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelle
I agree, EJSTANS is a fav of mine aswell..a lot of people hate it, I don't know why..it's a great album, one of the albums that got me into SY aswell, that one and Washing Machine.
I donīt hate EJSTANS, I think it is very enjoyable album! But at first I was a little disappointed about it. Maybe because there isnīt not much of that great melodic stuff like Theresaīs in Dirty. At first I thought SY were lazy when they composed EJSTANS. But then I read some interview where they told they wanted to do life-like-album in EJSTANS, not more than life album as Soundgarden did in the Superunknown. When I started to think EJSTANS an album that has feelings from normal life, it opened a lot. By the way EJSTANS was the first album I bought immediately itīs released (Dirty was first that I heard immediately, but it took few years when I bought an LP to myself).
Old 08.01.2011, 03:22 PM   #10
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Nothing really.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2011, 05:00 PM   #11
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
Why donīt you put your hate to somewhere else as SY? I mean you havenīt got anything positive to say about SY or SY-members solos since rather ripped.

I'm just surprised he waited until after Rather Ripped. I haven't had anything positive to say about them since they sacked Bob Bert.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2011, 09:24 PM   #12
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Somebody said something about a "magic ingredient"

Bingo.

"Massage the History" is just classic SY. Up there with "...Golden Blue" and "Heather Angel"... really top knotch. And many of the other songs (like poison arrow) are completely awesome. But it just sounds like a B-Sider to me.

I think part of it has to do with the lack of concept. The Eternal doesn't have much of a look or unique "feel" to it like so many other SY's do. Ripped, for instance, had great artwork, represented the band really well, and had a very cohesive flow and purpose.

This album just doesn't have that. To me, it's like a heavier EJST&NS, only not as good. That album was also pretty ambiguous...

Anyway, I don't want to hate. It was my favorite album of 2009. But they were on one hell of a streak in the '00s, and Eternal ended it in my opinion. I prefer the jams on SYR9, and hope they use them as the blueprint for the next LP.

But seriously- I don't know why I don't enjoy it as much as I do their others.
Old 08.01.2011, 09:26 PM   #13
Pink Noise
empty page

Pink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's asses
I think it rocks.
And whenever I get tired or feel like it doesn't rock so much, I just listen to something else..
Pink Noise is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2011, 11:42 PM   #14
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
Somebody said something about a "magic ingredient"

Bingo.

"Massage the History" is just classic SY. Up there with "...Golden Blue" and "Heather Angel"... really top knotch. And many of the other songs (like poison arrow) are completely awesome. But it just sounds like a B-Sider to me.

I think part of it has to do with the lack of concept. The Eternal doesn't have much of a look or unique "feel" to it like so many other SY's do. Ripped, for instance, had great artwork, represented the band really well, and had a very cohesive flow and purpose.

This album just doesn't have that. To me, it's like a heavier EJST&NS, only not as good. That album was also pretty ambiguous...

Anyway, I don't want to hate. It was my favorite album of 2009. But they were on one hell of a streak in the '00s, and Eternal ended it in my opinion. I prefer the jams on SYR9, and hope they use them as the blueprint for the next LP.

But seriously- I don't know why I don't enjoy it as much as I do their others.

I think in EJST&NS isnīt any as great songs as Anti-Orgasm, Leaky Lifeboat, Antenna, Poison Arrow, Malibu Gas Station, No Way, Walkin Blue and Massage. To me EJST&NS is a kind of "we donīt take any pressures, just keep fun"-album in Sonic discography, but itīs ok, because every album donīt have to be make absolutely seriously. To me Eternal is absolutely that what I expected from SY.
Old 08.02.2011, 01:01 AM   #15
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
I think in EJST&NS isnīt any as great songs as Anti-Orgasm, Leaky Lifeboat, Antenna, Poison Arrow, Malibu Gas Station, No Way, Walkin Blue and Massage. To me EJST&NS is a kind of "we donīt take any pressures, just keep fun"-album in Sonic discography, but itīs ok, because every album donīt have to be maked absolutely seriously. To me Eternal is absolutely that what I expected from SY.

That's so funny... cuz Thurston swears that Jet Set was supposed to be their "pop" album. Ha. It's still awesome, though.

If you don't like Sweet Shine, then you have some kind of psychosis or some shit.
Old 08.03.2011, 12:05 AM   #16
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
That's so funny... cuz Thurston swears that Jet Set was supposed to be their "pop" album. Ha. It's still awesome, though.

If you don't like Sweet Shine, then you have some kind of psychosis or some shit.

No, not at all, you have understand me totally wrong . I like Sweet Shine a lot, but it donīt make me same kind of shivers like Massage do. I really like the whole EJSTANS (well maybe at first I didnīt like it), but I think Thurstonīs is right. Well, I think it is their "rock" album, I mean the way Sonic Youth plays Rīn`r (Thurston has also said that Doctorīs Orders is their version from Rolling Stones Dancing with Mr. D and I think heīs right).

The Whole point is that when you have listened kind of spiritual songs like Thereraīs Sound world, Disappearer, Candle, Pipeline/Kill time, Tom Violence etc. and after that heard EJSTANS where that material isnīt at all, you might be disappointed. But after I understood whatīs the point of EJSTANS (And also after their made their awesome Washing machine = they made again spiritual material) I have enjoyed that album a lot.
Old 08.03.2011, 12:11 AM   #17
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

By the way, I really like "the Eternal" -artwork, I think itīs also as good as in other SY albums. And that drums sounding is ok because it make also Eternal a little bit different than the other albums. I think itīs very good think SY has changed a little in every album. But I really hope they donīt make those "pro tools" -sounds into next album (All the producing in SYR9 is just great!)
Old 08.03.2011, 12:19 AM   #18
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I'm just surprised he waited until after Rather Ripped. I haven't had anything positive to say about them since they sacked Bob Bert.
So whatīs your point to be here? To bark people how theyīre listening just "mainstream-crap"? To tell the people how only real music is made by the bands whose members are young, who have been together only a year and who have only 100 listeners? I mean canīt you just go to the those "Non-mainstream" bands sites where you can find same thinking people? Or are those bands so "Non-mainstream" that they even donīt have sites?

By the way, I think Bob Bert is quite ugly drummer, heīs ok in BMR, but EVOL and Sister and the rest couldnīt ever be so great with him. And Iīm also very glad Schlavunos played mostly in CIS.
Old 08.03.2011, 11:48 AM   #19
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
By the way, I really like "the Eternal" -artwork, I think itīs also as good as in other SY albums. And that drums sounding is ok because it make also Eternal a little bit different than the other albums. I think itīs very good think SY has changed a little in every album. But I really hope they donīt make those "pro tools" -sounds into next album (All the producing in SYR9 is just great!)

Totally agree. Hopefully they use some of those unfinished tracks as blueprints for the next album, as they've done before. I really enjoyed the sound and tone of SYR9, and if they flushed it out it would be fucking great.
Old 08.03.2011, 11:55 AM   #20
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
No, not at all, you have understand me totally wrong . I like Sweet Shine a lot, but it donīt make me same kind of shivers like Massage do. I really like the whole EJSTANS (well maybe at first I didnīt like it), but I think Thurstonīs is right. Well, I think it is their "rock" album, I mean the way Sonic Youth plays Rīn`r (Thurston has also said that Doctorīs Orders is their version from Rolling Stones Dancing with Mr. D and I think heīs right).

The Whole point is that when you have listened kind of spiritual songs like Thereraīs Sound world, Disappearer, Candle, Pipeline/Kill time, Tom Violence etc. and after that heard EJSTANS where that material isnīt at all, you might be disappointed. But after I understood whatīs the point of EJSTANS (And also after their made their awesome Washing machine = they made again spiritual material) I have enjoyed that album a lot.

Wow. That's an interesting interpretation. I've never associated SY with spirituality at all, but I can see where you're coming from.

It's awesome to talk to people who think about SY as much and as deeply as I do.

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth